E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lux V4 pics

07-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan

Lux V4 pics

I got my Lux V4 a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy with them.

Install was fine (as fine as it can be when it's so tight). My one recommendation to Lux is to include a plastic tool to turn the lights with - they are almost round and very tough to turn when you can't really get your fingers in there.

Originally I set them to 5700k, but I didn't like the blue hot spots. I imagine they stood out even more because my car is alpine white. I switched them 5000k and am much happier with the temperature.

I've got one daytime pic and one nighttime pic. I apologize I was too lazy to get out the DSLR, so the night pic isn't very good other than to show them are plenty bright.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Edit: Added another pic from the DSLR the nighttime pic is just too awful
Attached Images

Last edited by Braumin; 07-28-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

i dont like that they advertise these as lighting up both angel eyes because they clearly only light up the inner eyes unless you are at the right angle.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

They do a decent job on the outer ring in direct sun it looks worse than it is. Plus the light is very white which makes the sun have more of an effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
i dont like that they advertise these as lighting up both angel eyes because they clearly only light up the inner eyes unless you are at the right angle.
you need to read up on the e90 lci design before stating that. this is a limitation of our lights, not lux's design.

for me the "hot spots" of blue are enough to not order, would rather get all white LEDs.

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

i know that it is a fault in the bmw design i am not blaming Lux for that. I believe Lux are the best angel eye option available, i have them. I will give it to Lux that they have the brightest and whitest bulbs. I also like that they dont dim when you turn the lights on. but on there website all the pictures are of all four angel eyes lit up. thats all i meant.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Otruba_843
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
i know that it is a fault in the bmw design i am not blaming Lux for that. I believe Lux are the best angel eye option available, i have them. I will give it to Lux that they have the brightest and whitest bulbs. I also like that they dont dim when you turn the lights on. but on there website all the pictures are of all four angel eyes lit up. thats all i meant.
If you stand far enough away from them, both rings are filled. Why does this have to come up in every Lux thread. The headlights were designed to be fully illuminated when people in cars are looking at them, not 5 feet in front of the car. It's like a viewing angle on a TV.
      07-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
If you stand far enough away from them, both rings are filled. Why does this have to come up in every Lux thread. The headlights were designed to be fully illuminated when people in cars are looking at them, not 5 feet in front of the car. It's like a viewing angle on a TV.
Yes that correct. I agree everyone always complains that the outer rings arent lit up, but thats simply the design of the headlight, Not the angel eye bulbs.

Our lights work to maximize the amount of light that gets to the outer rings so it makes them as bright as possible, making them appear closer in brightness to the inner ring. There is no possible way to make them exactly the same.

Either way, thanks for posting the pictures and they look good!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Have you considered including an installation tool for the V4?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
inimeg
Private
Rep

Drives: 328i

OP,

Would you say that even though the outer ring is dimmer that the color matches up on both rings?

I had a V3 kit and for some reason the outer ring was almost yellow in comparison to the inner.. I resold it, I want the new v4 kit but I'm afraid of having the same problem again..

I can't stand the stock yellows.. I could deal with a dimmer light, not just a different color. Here is a picture, I thought maybe I had done the install wrong and not seated them correctly but both sides were identical in their inconsistency of color on the outside ring

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Is the bulb seated properly?

usually taking a picture that close does not show the outer ring well. stand about 10-15 feet in-front and squat down.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes the color matches perfectly on both rings, assuming you are straight on.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimeg View Post
OP,

Would you say that even though the outer ring is dimmer that the color matches up on both rings?

I had a V3 kit and for some reason the outer ring was almost yellow in comparison to the inner.. I resold it, I want the new v4 kit but I'm afraid of having the same problem again..

I can't stand the stock yellows.. I could deal with a dimmer light, not just a different color. Here is a picture, I thought maybe I had done the install wrong and not seated them correctly but both sides were identical in their inconsistency of color on the outside ring
Did you ever contact us before about this because it doesn't sound familiar. I would first recommend to make sure its installed property, and also twisted into place fully also . If that doesnt do the trick i would remove the light and be sure that none of the LED's are damaged. As well have there been any other angel eyes installed in the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
AndreyT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Most of the time you will see your AE rings as a reflection in the "ass" of the car in front of you when waiting at a stop light. From that "vantage point" both the inner and the outer rings are evenly lit (with Lux v3). That's good enough for me
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Reckless

not bad...but not impressive, specially for the price
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
CoastsideE90
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335i

My question is, in bright daylight, are these LEDs brighter than the OEM halogen rings? I have an LCI E90 and would make the change if I knew I wasn't getting fewer lumens by changing to LED.

2010 E90 335i | Alpine White/Saddle/Light Walnut | ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
CoastsideE90
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
for me the "hot spots" of blue are enough to not order, would rather get all white LEDs.
I am also interested in pure white, nothing above 5k. I realize these can be made 5k, but if there were ONLY white LEDs in there perhaps they would be even brighter. Lux, any chance you might consider a version like this in the future? Seems to be some demand out there. Thanks.

2010 E90 335i | Alpine White/Saddle/Light Walnut | ZSP, ZPP, ZCW

Last edited by CoastsideE90; 07-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastsideE90 View Post
My question is, in bright daylight, are these LEDs brighter than the OEM halogen rings? I have an LCI E90 and would make the change if I knew I wasn't getting fewer lumens by changing to LED.
Not brighter during the day but not really any dimmer either I would say.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
Not brighter during the day but not really any dimmer either I would say.
the LUX H8 V4's produce around 900-950 lumen while the stock bulb is only around 600 in the day, maybe 400 lumen at night
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
cokeith
Rep

Drives: '09 E92 Sport Premium Winter

Application: 2009 E92, 328i

Before installing the V4's I had tried various bulbs and LEDs in the angel eyes - all with poor results. (I'm not going into details but they were all acceptable products from reputable companies.)

Before installing the V4's I also paid close attention to the stock angel eyes with the following observations: the outer ring was always less bright; off angle viewing at various distances always made parts of the rings look unlit.

V4's installed: bright sunlight washes out the angel eye lights. Just as in the stock bulbs, viewing distance and angle all play a role. In non bright conditions (overcast, dusk, etc) the bulbs are "normal" brightness. In dark conditions the bulbs are VERY bright! The darker the ambient light, the less affect viewing distance and angle have on the light.

As has been said many times, one of the limiting factors in brightness/illumination is the angel eye design. The second limiting factor is the color of the light. Sunlight is between 5000 and 7000K therefore any LED or bulb in that temp. range will washout in sunlight. The stock bulbs have a much lower temperature (maybe around 2500K) that's why you can see them better in sunlight.

Most people confuse power, brightness, and color when it comes to lighting. Google these terms relative to lighting and you will learn a lot.

V4 conclusion - they are less visible in bright sunlight than stock bulbs but they are much brighter in overcast or dark conditions. If you use your angel eyes as daytime running lights (for safety) and you have V4's (or any aftermarket setup), you should also turn your headlights on. I plan to keep my V4's installed.

Disclaimer: I am not an angel eye or bulb desginer. Use this information at your own risk. And finally, I'm trying to help so please, no comments from trolls.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeith View Post
Application: 2009 E92, 328i

Before installing the V4's I had tried various bulbs and LEDs in the angel eyes - all with poor results. (I'm not going into details but they were all acceptable products from reputable companies.)

Before installing the V4's I also paid close attention to the stock angel eyes with the following observations: the outer ring was always less bright; off angle viewing at various distances always made parts of the rings look unlit.

V4's installed: bright sunlight washes out the angel eye lights. Just as in the stock bulbs, viewing distance and angle all play a role. In non bright conditions (overcast, dusk, etc) the bulbs are "normal" brightness. In dark conditions the bulbs are VERY bright! The darker the ambient light, the less affect viewing distance and angle have on the light.

As has been said many times, one of the limiting factors in brightness/illumination is the angel eye design. The second limiting factor is the color of the light. Sunlight is between 5000 and 7000K therefore any LED or bulb in that temp. range will washout in sunlight. The stock bulbs have a much lower temperature (maybe around 2500K) that's why you can see them better in sunlight.

Most people confuse power, brightness, and color when it comes to lighting. Google these terms relative to lighting and you will learn a lot.

V4 conclusion - they are less visible in bright sunlight than stock bulbs but they are much brighter in overcast or dark conditions. If you use your angel eyes as daytime running lights (for safety) and you have V4's (or any aftermarket setup), you should also turn your headlights on. I plan to keep my V4's installed.

Disclaimer: I am not an angel eye or bulb desginer. Use this information at your own risk. And finally, I'm trying to help so please, no comments from trolls.
Thanks for the very honest review about these, i appreciate it
Appreciate 0