E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Trying to install 330i SSK lever into my '11 335i xdrive

08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
jwzimm
Captain

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

Trying to install 330i SSK lever into my '11 335i xdrive

Hey all,

I did some research and found the DIY thread where folks were able to swap in the shifter from a 330i SSK without getting under the car. I went ahead and ordered the shifter from Tischer and tried to install last night. I ran into a problem though. Once I get the bushing rotated and loose I can't pull up on the old shifter enough to get the bushing out of the cup. Without this I can't get to the circlip on the bottom of the shifter and I am toast. Has anyone ran into this issue and can provide insight? For giggles I did put the car up on ramps and took a look underneath but there is no way in hell I can get to it from down there without major disassembly.

Take a look at the last two post in this link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=106829&page=2

I have posted some photos there.

Please help!!! I really want to get this installed.
jwzimm is offline   United_States
      08-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
deadmn1337
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi

In my old 2007 335i i had that same issue and couldn't figure out how to get around it. Now i have an 08 335xi and it had plenty of spaces. So its not your year thats not allowing it. Good Luck!
deadmn1337 is online now   United_States
      08-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
jwzimm
Captain

The only thing I can think of is to destroy the old bushing to get it out from around the shift lever ball. I am pretty reluctant to do that though as, if I do, I am basically fully committed to this. If I run into even one problem with the new shifter I am looking at a tow truck and big $$$.

I think I may just have to recognize that I will not be doing this mod.
      08-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
deadmn1337
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi

From what i was looking at on the previous one and on my new one the sticks seems to be the same size from the ball joint down so even if you destroyed the original i dont think you will be able to get in there to put the circlip on the new one.
deadmn1337 is online now   United_States
      08-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
jwzimm
Captain

That is what I am afraid of. I have seen in my research some shift levers with extremely short bottom parts. My cup does not appear to be any deeper than everyone elses. I wonder if the shift lever in there now is just extremely short on the bottom (see attached photo from this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=SSK). The new lever looks the same as all the other pictures of the SSK levers so I think if I did that I would be okay to do the from the top method.

I am really starting to think I have one of the really stubby levers installed right now. That bodes well for the new SSK having a dramatic effect but I also means I may not be able to do the swap at all without dropping the tranny.
Attached Images

08-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
jwzimm
Captain

Well I tore into it again today and I can confirm I have the shifter pictured above installed (with the stubby bottom end). I was able to wiggle my finger under there and there is VERY little space between the bottom of the shifter and the top of the transfer case. I think this is why I have such a stubby shifter. If I were to try and install the short shift lever I am pretty sure it would end up hitting the top of the T-case and not work at all. Not sure if this was a design change for the newer cars (mine is a 2011).

In any case I am boned. I will not be able to install this lever. If anyone is interested in buying a brand new 330i short shift lever with a new bushing and two circlips let me know! You should go and confirm you will be able to install it by checking to make sure when the bushing is loosened you can pull it up far enough to get it out of the cup.

Link to for sale thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14432707

Last edited by jwzimm; 08-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.