E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335XI front right wheel noise

10-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

335XI front right wheel noise

Hi, i?m a new owner of a 335xi and i?m having a problem with my front right wheel it?s making a noise where it?s kind of a clunk but at the same time binding when i accelerate and decelerate at low speeds also when turning and at hwy speeds getting a loose feeling in the steering wheel. what could the culprit be? i?m assuming it?s my axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10

Could be a wheel bearing but the clunk is either the axle or even the swaybar endlink
      10-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
TemjinX2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i would put the car on jacks and take off the wheel and inspect the suspension. Could be a broken sway bar endlink or a control arm might need to be replaced.

i would make sure there not too much play in the wheel like deerfield said, could be a wheel bearing. I would start there...its hard to diagnose a car problem over the internet.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i would put the car on jacks and take off the wheel and inspect the suspension. Could be a broken sway bar endlink or a control arm might need to be replaced.

i would make sure there not too much play in the wheel like deerfield said, could be a wheel bearing. I would start there...its hard to diagnose a car problem over the internet.
Quote:

i just checked and there was no play going up or down on the wheel it made a noise when i?d rotate the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 02:29 AM   #5
TemjinX2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThirtyFiveXI View Post
i just checked and there was no play going up or down on the wheel it made a noise when i?d rotate the wheel.
is there any play when you move the wheel back and forth at the 12 and 6 o clock positions?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #6
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
is there any play when you move the wheel back and forth at the 12 and 6 o clock positions?
Quote:

nothing on both sides, just when i rotate the wheel it clicks/clunks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
TemjinX2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hmmm your probably going to need to jack up the car and take off the wheel and check the control arms. Make sure none of the rubber is bad or the arms are loose. I would start with the cv joint.

check the brakes and rotors too..make sure nothing is caught in between or loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
hmmm your probably going to need to jack up the car and take off the wheel and check the control arms. Make sure none of the rubber is bad or the arms are loose. I would start with the cv joint.

check the brakes and rotors too..make sure nothing is caught in between or loose.
Quote:
Quote:

I did jack it up, looked at the control arms, tie rods. Nothing torn, loose. It?s only when the car is moving under it?s own power. I?ll try and get it on a lift tomorrow to look more in depth.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
TemjinX2
Lieutenant
Rep

hmmm if you have to throw parts at it, i would start with the wheel bearing since its the cheapest. Also make sure none of the wheel bolts are loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
hmmm if you have to throw parts at it, i would start with the wheel bearing since its the cheapest. Also make sure none of the wheel bolts are loose.
What's the process for front wheel bearing like on XI? I'd bet labor takes significant time.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
TemjinX2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
What's the process for front wheel bearing like on XI? I'd bet labor takes significant time.
The labor to do a wheel bearing is about the same as a brake job.

probably about half the cost a front brake job if your only doing one wheel...

if you haven't done your front brakes yet, i would just do a front brake job and have them add in the wheel bearing. The labor will be about the same.

dont really know the cost, since labor rates differ from state to state.

But if your can diy your own brake, you can diy wheel bearing. Just make sure its a OEM wheel bearing, some times aftermarket ones can cause abs light.

Here's a vid to give you an idea.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post

if you haven't done your front brakes yet, i would just do a front brake job and have them add in the wheel bearing. The labor will be about the same.

But if your can diy your own brake, you can diy wheel bearing. Just make sure its a OEM wheel bearing, some times aftermarket ones can cause abs light.

Looks pretty on the non-XI cars.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
p.s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:

LOL at this this video, its irrelevant. Why would anyone start with a bearing that has to be pressed into the knuckle? Shops charge 3 hours+ for this job especially if you live in the rust belt. I've put off a bad front wheel bearing for way too long and it makes a woob woob noise just like a tire and I have the telltale abs light on. Ill likely have to pay 350+ for this fix as I don't have a hydraulic bearing press and my cars are northeastern car. I'd try everything else first like I am.
Appreciate 0