E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Next Stage suggestions

04-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
scott in cincy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Next Stage suggestions

Hey gang,
I have the car in my signature below (n55, Cobb Stage 2a) and am trying to decide if I want to do another upgrade. On the upgrade front, I'm contemplating a Pure stage 1 for the following reasons:

1) don't plan to do any additional fueling changes (meth, e85, etc)
2) Still put a lot of miles on my car, so I need it to be pretty reliable
3) The price is reasonable, and why not?

On the downside:

1) I've never liked some of the funkiness this car has with a tune and the AT (steptronic). It seems to exhibit some weird part-throttle shift behavior. Let's just call it daily drivability is not always spot on.

So for a daily driver, and occasional stop light Grand Prix (of which I would never condone), does a pro-tuned Cobb / Pure Stage 1 really make that much difference past where I am today? I love the torque in my car, and would like a stronger top end, but am worried about what it's like afterwards.

Thanks,
Scott
      04-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Darkhold
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkhold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott in cincy
Hey gang,
I have the car in my signature below (n55, Cobb Stage 2a) and am trying to decide if I want to do another upgrade. On the upgrade front, I'm contemplating a Pure stage 1 for the following reasons:

1) don't plan to do any additional fueling changes (meth, e85, etc)
2) Still put a lot of miles on my car, so I need it to be pretty reliable
3) The price is reasonable, and why not?

On the downside:

1) I've never liked some of the funkiness this car has with a tune and the AT (steptronic). It seems to exhibit some weird part-throttle shift behavior. Let's just call it daily drivability is not always spot on.

So for a daily driver, and occasional stop light Grand Prix (of which I would never condone), does a pro-tuned Cobb / Pure Stage 1 really make that much difference past where I am today? I love the torque in my car, and would like a stronger top end, but am worried about what it's like afterwards.

Thanks,
Scott
Get the pure stage2. On only 93 you can run 17 psi till redline. That will be around 440-450 whp. And you can keep going till 7k rpm.

A pure stage1 on just 93 will do a lot less and requires shifting at 6.3-6.5k rpm.

The choice is yours. Stage1 is nice. I ran that for a year. Stage2 however is killer
F20 M135i - Pure Turbo Stage 2 - BMS JB4 Stage 2 - BMS Trunk Mount Meth Kit - Milltek 200 Cell Sportcat - ATM FMIC - Fuel-IT LPFP Stage2 Upgrade - Er Chargepipe - H&R Springs - Breyton GTS-R's - Recaro Pole Position Seats
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
scott in cincy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
Get the pure stage2. On only 93 you can run 17 psi till redline. That will be around 440-450 whp. And you can keep going till 7k rpm.

A pure stage1 on just 93 will do a lot less and requires shifting at 6.3-6.5k rpm.

The choice is yours. Stage1 is nice. I ran that for a year. Stage2 however is killer
What power levels do the steptronics become expensive parts heaps? I would have thought I'd already be there right now, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Darkhold
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkhold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott in cincy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post

What power levels do the steptronics become expensive parts heaps? I would have thought I'd already be there right now, honestly.
My 8 speed zf has no issue running 22-23 psi with meth and e25 etc.

I doubt yours will see issues at 17 psi
F20 M135i - Pure Turbo Stage 2 - BMS JB4 Stage 2 - BMS Trunk Mount Meth Kit - Milltek 200 Cell Sportcat - ATM FMIC - Fuel-IT LPFP Stage2 Upgrade - Er Chargepipe - H&R Springs - Breyton GTS-R's - Recaro Pole Position Seats
Appreciate 0