E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Potentially buying a 530d.....Should I?

08-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Ronseal
Private

Drives: 325

Potentially buying a 530d.....Should I?

Hi All,

After recently having my 325 written off by some clown driver and now being paid out, I have been looking around and fancy something a bit bigger, what do you guys think of the 530d? The one im looking at is a 2007 M sport, are they any good and whats to look out for?

The particular one im interested in has a Full BMW service history with 62k miles on the clock. Only recently having a full oil/filter service

Thanks
Dan
Ronseal is offline   United Kingdom
      08-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Bfc1882
Private First Class

Drives: 330d msport

Thinking of getting one myself also interested in people's opinions.
      08-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
John320d
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 320d E93

Nothing but praise for the 530d. Had a manual and an auto, comfort, quietness and very economical. I did prefer the manual, I felt the auto could get you in trouble leaving side roads and roundabouts because the box could not make its mind up whether to be in
1st or 2nd.
      08-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
K_M79
Captain

Drives: E92 335i Msport

Good cars with very little problems from my experience
K_M79 is online now   Scotland
      08-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!

Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Get yourself the 535D, the twin turbo beast!

Got myself a great one in Feb and best car i've ever had - makes my 65 mile daily commute and absolute joy!!! Although, I may be selling soon as my mate is looking to sell his 4x4 and I have had my eye on it since he bought new

Things to look out for on diesel e60's:

- swirl flaps (have these been removed or not)
- frayed vacuum hoses
- engine temp (if not getting up to temp, can clog the DPF due to build up from lack of exhaust regeneration), fix is usually changing the EGR and Main stat
- vortex style oil breather unit replace loo roll type with this (most 2006+ cars should already have had this done as part of servicing)

The e60 is a great car, my only comment would be try and buy one from an enthusiast who is aware of how these cars should be run even if it means paying a bit more - ideally you want one that has had preventative maintenance taken care of and spends most of its life not poodling about in town

I have spent 2.5k on mine since I bought doing preventative maintence bits (incl small turbo) and getting her perfect. The only problem I had was the small turbo failed so in went a brand new one with associated bits. And mine only had 61k (ish) when I bought her so a low milege version

Xenons are a must!!

Great cars which are very rewarding when running properly!! Go for it!!
      08-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Ronseal
Private

thanks for the great info, but how can a complete novice find out if the swirl things have been sorted? sounds like that could be a issue if that goes wrong, i doubt the car dealership would have a clue themselves...
      08-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!

Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

if its a trade sale it would be difficult - after I bought mine, Jason at BW ChipTune used one of those long Snap-on camera's on the end of a hose to look down to see if they had been removed or not

TBH - a lot of peeps would say there's no reason to remove but after I did some research and spoke with a few mechanics I decided to play it safe and remove

In all honesty, you may just have to buy the car and do some of the work yourself after depending on what you think needs doing - perhaps use this as a bargaining tool
      08-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Garage List
I thought swirl flap issue was on earlier cars, plus the 535d uses the old engine unlike the 530d.

I've never had a 5 series but if I did it would be a 530d. As said, Xenons are a must and for me would be an Auto. The premium the 535d seems to demand isn't worth the extra in everyday conditions but that's just my opinion!

2009 BMW 330d M Sport : 2012 BMW 320d M Sport
ukbeemerboy is offline   United Kingdom
      08-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
imygaf
Private First Class

Drives: e92 325i

My dad had a 530d and i drove it quite regularly. And have to say i loved it, it had almost every extra. I never experienced the gear problem that John320d mentioned. Always found it very responsive.

I would say go for it!
      08-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Ronseal
Private

Again, many thanks for the info guys.

I think i might take a look at the car tomorrow and if all is well and i can get a bit of a deal, i will buy it. It seems to get good votes from most people, and i would love to get the 535, but it is mainly a weekend driving car, so i dont really want to push it much further and go for the 535. So for now the 530d will do.

I will check it has the xenons, if not, its a defo no. Im surprised they do the 5 series with halogens??? Why?????

Which also reminds me, I purchased angel eye LED conversion bulbs with power adapters for the 325 I last had, to make the angel eyes white, will these fit the 5 series or are the bulbs/fitments different?

Thanks
Dan
      08-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Bfc1882
Private First Class

Drives: 330d msport

Does the 530d use the same engine as the 330d and also did they change the engine to the newer version as per the 330d lci
      08-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
AlwynMike
Captain

Drives: E91 335d.

I came from a 530d to a 335d.
I wanted a car that was more "chuckable", which the 3 series is.
The 5er is a great car, and for it's size, it handles very well indeed.
If it has RFT's, then throw them away, it makes a huge difference to the ride, and there is room for a spare wheel in the boot well.

Remember that all E6x have iDrive, but not that many had Nav, not that it's any great loss. The SE seats are only fair for any distance. The Sport seats are a lot better. A 2007 car will have had most of the issues sorted - starter motor, steering shaft, vortex breather. Get the swirl flaps removed if they haven't been already - it's not a major job.
The air filter gets very clogged if you park near tree's in the autumn. I took a bucket load out of mine, and it's a half hour job to get to the air filter on the 530.

Go for it - you'll not be disappointed. The big dirty diesel can still hustle along, and even though it's not a 535, it's performance over 100 is impressive.

Also on the plus side, the 530, with only being a single turbo, sounds a lot better than the twin turbo engine, it's got a pleasing, distinctive note when pressed. The x35d engine noise is too quiet and boring!

Mike
AlwynMike is offline   United Kingdom
      08-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

I would find a later 57 plate, the one with the joystick type gear stick, the difference in economy and feel is immense.

Same for the 535d, but a later face lifted 530d would be my choice.

I used to get 26mpg average from the pre facelift 535d and 37mpg from the facelift, you can add 5mpg to the 530d on the pre facelift and and 2-3mpg on the facelifted on.
      08-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Ronseal
Private

The 530d that I'm going to look at has the newer weird shape auto
Gear shift control... If that means its the better one?

I will check it has the sat Nav etc. if it hasn't, is it a big job to retro?
      08-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #15
J Dub
Private First Class

Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

I had the 5er Msport in my sights as one of the ones I was going to get yet the 3 I have bought fitted the bill (I had set certain criteria to certain prices and spec to model) Apart from the 5 being an amazing piece of kit, pound for pound much better value for money over a used 3 IMO things such as leather is more common than not, idrive regardless, just generally much better spec overall, as the new 5 owners like extras, yet used prices are far more favourable.
      08-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
achu
Captain

Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronseal View Post
The 530d that I'm going to look at has the newer weird shape auto
Gear shift control... If that means its the better one?

I will check it has the sat Nav etc. if it hasn't, is it a big job to retro?
we got one in our household, i love it to bits!

and yes yess get the one with the weird gear knob...

it means you have the LCI which has the better engines (more powerful and fuel efficient) and prettier lights... but also that gear knob is for DCT gearbox and the shift speed in sport is insane! ours has paddleshifts and it is so much fun (almost as fun as my manual 335i :P)

satnav's are pretty hard and expensive to retrofit, i asked BMW and they quoted something along the lines of 2g which is stupid for a satnav which isn't even good lol... i didn't really care that ours didn't have a satnav, we have a good garmin one lol...

anyways, good luck with ur seach
achu is offline   United Kingdom