E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320i (F30) Loan Car Brief Review...

08-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Drives: E92

Arrow 320i (F30) Loan Car Brief Review...

320i M Sport

It's a case of 4 pot twin scroll turbo vs. inline six.

I had the 320i for a week.

Positives: Fatter torque curve and low down torque. Adaptive M Sport suspension works quite well, choose from Sport+ (dsc off), Sport, Comfort and Eco. Eco mode is rubbish with minimal settings for saving fuel. Turbos are water cooled so don't worry about frying them with the start/stop technology. Fuel economy in town but forget the motorway. BMW did not give into Apple for the drive interface! Woohoo!

Down Side: Not as smooth as the I6 and of course lacks the sound of the I6.

If I wanted a 4 pot turbo I would have stuck to my Audi S3. The car sounded like a bag of nails on start up, almost diesel in guise.

My biggest complaint is the steering... vague, lacks feel... and all round terrible.

Conclusion... it's a whole new car aimed at a completely different client base/market. Years of I6 tradition have come to an end which is sad news. BMW perfected the I6 ingredients and these 4 pot angry yob cars are moving away from what they do best.

At first I thought it would be my next BMW but the E92 I have is milestones ahead of this new BMW experiment. Time will tell... but nothing beats the E92 in my view - some may disagree.
      08-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

pretty much agree on every account.

BMW were making their I6's better and better. I don't understand why change to this 4 cyl setup. Hopefully its just a phase like the E36 318ti's
Rule #1 when you own "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Always have $$$ in "The Automatic Teller Machine"
      08-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
BMW were making their I6's better and better. I don't understand why change to this 4 cyl setup. Hopefully its just a phase like the E36 318ti's
I agree the I6 engines are getting better and better, the N55 in my car is a superb engine.

Sorry, but 4-cylinders in most petrol models is not a phase, this is the future for the major part of production, even 3-cylinder engines are part of the BMW future.

Just look at the BMW UK AUC site and see how many F30/31 335i models are in their listings. Today there are 12 saloons, 1 touring... over 200 320i/328i saloons, 52 320i/328i tourings, I think we get the picture of the future.

Even the 5-series has the 4-pot in the 528i... again the future for petrol even in the bigger model, which really deserves a 6-pot motor.

HighlandPete