E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Calif. People with Tint

07-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Calif. People with Tint

So, knowing that in Cali it's illegal to have front windows tinted, what are you guys using for all the windows? I want to get my car tinted. Currently I'm thinking 30% on the rear doors and back window, then 50% for the front doors. Is 50% too dark to piss off the cops? My car is all stock, so it doesn't draw any attention. In the future, the most I'll do is wheels and possibly PE. Again, nothing noticeable.

I have black interior, so I need to get as dark as possible. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

i have a black int. as well.. 50 you will still be able to see in, without a doubt.. go 30 all around.. b.c having two shades really isn't all that night... and for the front windshield, go with a 70%.. hard to tell if you even have it on since your sides are going to make the car dark already... if you find a good place, please let me know.. i went to go look as well and got quoted nearly a grand for huper optiks...
Instagram: 340i_bsm_cr
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
The limit all around is 35%. The law for that was changed a couple years back but people are still being ticketed for having tints in the front. 30% all around looks good but you can still see in. I have 20% in the front and 5% in the back. The back is almost impossible to see through unless there's a light directly coming through the front windshield, same goes for the front but a little easier to see through. It all really depends on the area you live in. Back in Pasadena the police were really on people's asses for tints because that part of the town was so quiet they really had nothing else to do. Other areas the police don't really care. I keep my windows down most of the time anyways so I don't get too worried...knock on wood.
      07-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

What part of Cali? Certain areas are more strict than others.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
The limit all around is 35%. The law for that was changed a couple years back but people are still being ticketed for having tints in the front. 30% all around looks good but you can still see in. I have 20% in the front and 5% in the back. The back is almost impossible to see through unless there's a light directly coming through the front windshield, same goes for the front but a little easier to see through. It all really depends on the area you live in. Back in Pasadena the police were really on people's asses for tints because that part of the town was so quiet they really had nothing else to do. Other areas the police don't really care. I keep my windows down most of the time anyways so I don't get too worried...knock on wood.
Source? I've never heard about it changing.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Source? I've never heard about it changing.
Google it, I just remember reading that somewhere before I went to get my tints.
      07-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Google it, I just remember reading that somewhere before I went to get my tints.
Completely false. Straight from the 2013 CA Vehicle Code: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Quote:
(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver’s seat when measured from a point five inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver’s seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Completely false. Straight from the 2013 CA Vehicle Code: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
minimum light transmittance of 70 percent

Doesn't that translate to 30%? Anyways not worth arguing for me since I already have tints.
      07-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
minimum light transmittance of 70 percent

Doesn't that translate to 30%? Anyways not worth arguing for me since I already have tints.
No, tint is measured in VLT. 30% tint has 30% visible light transmittance.

Not arguing, just making sure people aren't spreading false information.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

Quote:

what a stupid law.

*comment not aimed at the poster, but instead aimed at the state of california.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm in Fresno, so the summer is pretty brutal. But I park my car in the garage at home, and I actively find shaded spots when I'm out and about.

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I might go 20 in the back, and 50 front. The law sucks, but I understand the reason behind it. I have friends and family members who are cops, and they need to be able to see in during traffic stops. Not everyone they deal with is law-obeying citizens like us. Anything to help them go home to their loved ones at the end of the day is fine by me.

That said, I'm not a criminal, and my car doesn't stand out, so I think I should be ok with a lighter tint up front. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
ChefHaze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [4.33]
This is all true in calli! Basically no tint is legal on the front windows. Since 70% is basically nothing.

I am getting a tint soon. It's through 3m and called crystalline. It's expensive but far more effective than any other tint and without being dark. In fact the darkest it comes in is 40%. Which most cops won't even care about unless they are looking to f with you. This product is good if your looking for something to keep your car cool in the summer. You can even do your front windshield with it(90%) and it keeps your car much, much cooler than the next level ceramic top of the line tint at the maximum 5%
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [4.50]
Yeah, it's a dumb law. I have 35% on all the side windows and 20% on the rear. I've had it like that for 6 years with no problems at all.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, E85/CA-91 oct 50/50 fuel on map-5, MS 3" downpipes, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #14
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
What part of Cali? Certain areas are more strict than others.
Stay away from Burbank, Glendale & Santa Monica. The police there will be glad to hand you a fix-it ticket like it's cool.

I got 20% all around and thinking of going 70% ceramic on the windshield. So far so good.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

I've never quite understood it with windshield tint. what happens if you get rock chips that need repair or a new windshield even?
      07-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefHaze View Post
This is all true in calli! Basically no tint is legal on the front windows. Since 70% is basically nothing.

I am getting a tint soon. It's through 3m and called crystalline. It's expensive but far more effective than any other tint and without being dark. In fact the darkest it comes in is 40%. Which most cops won't even care about unless they are looking to f with you. This product is good if your looking for something to keep your car cool in the summer. You can even do your front windshield with it(90%) and it keeps your car much, much cooler than the next level ceramic top of the line tint at the maximum 5%
How much is the 3M stuff cost to do an E90 roughly? Sounds like it's a far more effective product than regular ceramic film.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkirath View Post
I've never quite understood it with windshield tint. what happens if you get rock chips that need repair or a new windshield even?
You'll understand when your car is parked in blistering SoCal heat.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
wesyee
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

If you have a darker shade - 20% or darker in the back, and 35% or lighter up front, you should be fine. If you ever get pulled over for something else roll your windows down before the cop gets to your window and they probably won't even notice.
      07-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #19
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkirath View Post
Tint is applied on the inside so chips and even cracks usually won't affect it since those are on the outside glass layer. You would obviously need to re-tint if you replace the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #20
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

I have 20% tint on all windows except for the windshield. Anything darker and it will be pretty difficult to see out at night especially backing up unless you have the back-up sensors or camera.
Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackview DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #21
nikkisc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

I have 30% on the sides and 20% in the back with black interior and everything's been fine for me so far and i haven't been pulled over. I don't think that you should have too much of a problem with a darker front tint unless you drive recklessly and draw too much attention to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
ChefHaze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
How much is the 3M stuff cost to do an E90 roughly? Sounds like it's a far more effective product than regular ceramic film.
I called almost every certified 3m installer in my area and got prices anywhere from 750-1200 for the entire car including windsheild and sunroof.

although I also talked to some installers out in the mid west. they seemed to have slightly better prices. I guess there is a premium since Im in socal... I guess

It is expensive film and it is very difficult material to work worth so its understandable that it is expensive. but every review i have read says it is worth it if you want maximum sun protection. and without needing to go super dark.
Appreciate 0