E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Review: VRSF 7" FMIC, NOS octane booster



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
hetzle
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Altos, California

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Review: VRSF 7" FMIC, NOS octane booster

Back when I got my DP installed I thought I would be able to run Map 2 without any issues, but crappy California 91 octane led to inconsistent performance and many headaches. Terry recommended buying NOS octane booster with MMT in order to rectify the octane issue. 1 can per 16 gallons raises it ~3 octane points, and combined with Map 5 I was seeing ~16psi at WOT depending on the gear.

I finally got my 7" VRSF intercooler installed over the weekend, and the difference in power is phenomenal. You know how when you drive your car on a cold night it feels much much faster? Now it performs like that all the time! This morning I hit 19 psi for the first time ever in 3rd and 4th gear. That's without meth. I honestly didn't think I would notice a difference in performance after the FMIC install, so I'm extremely pleased, definitely a great bang for your buck mod. Only complaint is that they didn't send some clip, so my shop had to fab the piece for me, but for ~$480 this was a steal.

Also my shop noticed a good amount of blow-by in my charge piping, and I'll be getting the BMS oil catch can- if you're running higher boost you should definitely pick one up as well. Next mod is flex fuel wires for E85
__________________
2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
hetzle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
avol3xo
Lieutenant
 
avol3xo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montgomery, AL

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Is this on N55, i thought there was no need for the OCC as on the N54?
__________________
2011 BMW 335i E92 Vermillion Red, 6MT
avol3xo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
hetzle
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Altos, California

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avol3xo View Post
Is this on N55, i thought there was no need for the OCC as on the N54?
Yes I have an N55, and yes we need an OCC for higher boost levels
__________________
2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
hetzle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Everfly
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Everfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i M sport.
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 1,923
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzle View Post
Yes I have an N55, and yes we need an OCC for higher boost levels
Hi Erik (correct me if I wrong) this is Vu from Four B. Glad you enjoy your new intercooler. I want one and they all out anyhow you should wait until you run E85 better yet E98
__________________
Everfly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
hetzle
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Altos, California

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
Hi Erik (correct me if I wrong) this is Vu from Four B. Glad you enjoy your new intercooler. I want one and they all out anyhow you should wait until you run E85 better yet E98
Hey man it's Derek (close enough), I'll be getting the E85 setup+OCC next month for sure! I haven't seen anyone running E98 yet, I wonder if the JB4 Map 5 can handle E98?
__________________
2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
hetzle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Everfly
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Everfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i M sport.
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 1,923
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzle View Post
Hey man it's Derek (close enough), I'll be getting the E85 setup+OCC next month for sure! I haven't seen anyone running E98 yet, I wonder if the JB4 Map 5 can handle E98?
I do run E98 and map 5 work wonderfull.
__________________
Everfly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hudson, MA

Posts: 6,371
iTrader: (92)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzle View Post
Back when I got my DP installed I thought I would be able to run Map 2 without any issues, but crappy California 91 octane led to inconsistent performance and many headaches. Terry recommended buying NOS octane booster with MMT in order to rectify the octane issue. 1 can per 16 gallons raises it ~3 octane points, and combined with Map 5 I was seeing ~16psi at WOT depending on the gear.

I finally got my 7" VRSF intercooler installed over the weekend, and the difference in power is phenomenal. You know how when you drive your car on a cold night it feels much much faster? Now it performs like that all the time! This morning I hit 19 psi for the first time ever in 3rd and 4th gear. That's without meth. I honestly didn't think I would notice a difference in performance after the FMIC install, so I'm extremely pleased, definitely a great bang for your buck mod. Only complaint is that they didn't send some clip, so my shop had to fab the piece for me, but for ~$480 this was a steal.

Also my shop noticed a good amount of blow-by in my charge piping, and I'll be getting the BMS oil catch can- if you're running higher boost you should definitely pick one up as well. Next mod is flex fuel wires for E85
Thanks for taking the time to write the review! I'm glad you're enjoying the product.

Do you happen to remember what clip was missing?
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
hetzle
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Altos, California

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write the review! I'm glad you're enjoying the product.

Do you happen to remember what clip was missing?
I believe it was whatever holds the IC onto the car's mounting points, my mechanic said that only the charge piping attachments were included
__________________
2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
hetzle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hudson, MA

Posts: 6,371
iTrader: (92)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
We don't actually include additional brackets anymore but we do include a couple of upgraded screws to replace the factory screws. Shoot me a PM of how much you were charged for the hardware and I'll send over a reimbursement
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST