E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Misfire help..... update: real oem coil suggestion correct?

11-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
99wolfie
Private

Drives: E92 328i

Misfire help..... update: real oem coil suggestion correct?

Where to start...

My car would intermittently throw the CEL and occasionally run a little rough and then be fine. Sometimes a quick ON/OFF would solve the problem. It also feels like it hasn't been running up to its potential the last little while as far as performance, it tends to lag or hesitate when it used to run like a champ.

The car currently has 197 000km - 2008 328i
Spark plugs were done at about 165 000km, VANOS solenoids were replaced under CPO at $150 000km.

The CEL is now stuck on and the car idles like a diesel and has sever hesitation when accelerating. I can also here a ticking noise and can trace it directly to the ignition coils which could possibly be arching?

I originally discovered a misfire code in cylinder one when checking INPA. Perfect I thought, odds are spark plug or coil. My spark plugs are only 30 000km or so in so I opted to change the coil. Once I swapped the coil the ticking noise became louder and the car ran worse. I can tell the coil is not making proper contact with the spark plug, or so it seems. If I apply pressure on the coil the noise disappears,weird I thought. Sometimes the car drives great, sometimes it drives like a diesel truck and now it just idles extremely harsh and struggles to accelerate.

Next I decided to swap coils from #1 and #2 to see what would happen. Now I have a misfire in cylinder #2 as well as #1! Even when putting back the original coil that was previously working fine. The same issue is occurring, it appears to be not seating properly or making contact and is ticking. I have replaced many coil packs and spark plugs on these car and have never encountered this.

Next I removed the harness for the eccentric shaft sensor to check for any oil as I know this can be a problem on these cars as well. There was buildup around the harness itself but once removed it was spotless inside.

The two coils which are misfiring I can visibly watch pulsate up and down while the other coils do not move at all, so I thought. Upon further inspection #4 has a slight pulse as well and seems it wont be long before it misfires.

What now....

I am almost certain when I removed the coils there was some sort of buildup in the combustion chamber around the spark plug but I am not 100%, if so then would a possible VCG leak make sense? After work I will remove the coils and further inspect this. If there is build up it could explain why the coil isn't seating all the way or tightly. This would also explain #2 misfiring as once I removed the coil it was not able to install back properly due to interference?

Could these issues also be from spark plugs?

I will remove the coils again tonight and inspect the chamber, if there is in fact oil or build up I will have to replace the gasket, if they do not what should I check next?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by 99wolfie; 11-04-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
99wolfie
Private

So I am going to replace my coil pack and it was my understanding the correct coil for my car is BOSCH 12137594937 however after checking RealOEM it is suggesting DELPHI 12138616153

I think I will go ahead with BOSCH 12137594937

should be fine with my current spark plugs? BOSCH FR7NPP332 even though REALOEM says the are discontinued?

Or should I change my plugs as well to 12122158253 NGK ILZFR6D11 ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
TheAxiom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP

You can do JUST the coil if you want, but depending on your mileage, you might want to dow them all at the same time.
      11-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
GTKrockeTT
Private First Class

Drives:

my 328i was having the same symptoms recently, misfire on cylinder 5. ended up changing out all the plugs and coils. went with Delphi GN10328 for the coils, and the vehicle is running nice and smooth now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
99wolfie
Private

I was debating the Delphi GN10328 as the price is dirty cheap.

However, I swapped the coil from cyl 3 with cyl 1 and no misfire occurred in cyl 3. So the coil would appear to be okay. I purchased one new coil for cyl 2 and the misfire went away.

I am still getting a code for cyl #1 and it is still running like a diesel truck

I don't see why the spark plug would have failed after 40 000km but it seems to be a strong likelihood at this point.

I will replace the plugs next as it is the cheapest / least labor intensive step.

I will inspect the plugs when I remove them, if they have oil at all I will have to do the VCG, hopefully the plug just failed prematurely.

Last edited by 99wolfie; 11-04-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
dangeris
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e92 328xi

I'm having the same issue as well. rough idle and hesitation followed by a thrown CEL. As like the OP, it goes away with a simple ON/OFF of the engine.
I was thinking of replacing all of the plugs and coils as well as I have roughly 85K on the clock. I think its time for replacement anyway. On TurnerMotorsport's website they have a tool for $20 that states a must have for changing out the plugs. Do I really need that or is a simple sparkplug socket on an extension suffice?

Also, where are you guys getting the Delphi coil?
2008 Nissan Altima Coupe - Show Car; 2009 997 TT; 1995 300ZX SMZ #36
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2010 130i MT

Worst comes to worst its an injector. you can swap plugs around too if you'd like, but they're cheap enough that i'd personally just replace all 6. Coil packs only need to be replaced as they fail because some will last twice as long as others do, for whatever reason that may be.
      11-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
TheAxiom
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Worst comes to worst its an injector. you can swap plugs around too if you'd like, but they're cheap enough that i'd personally just replace all 6. Coil packs only need to be replaced as they fail because some will last twice as long as others do, for whatever reason that may be.
Because BMW.
      11-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
99wolfie
Private

Problem solved....

Replaced ignition coil, still misfire. No noticeable leaks from VCG or eccentric shaft sensor.

Purchased all new spark plugs but before I could replace them one shot out of the head and took the ignition coil with it.

The messed up part about this is the threads from the spark plug remained in my cylinder head! This plug was no doubt the cause of the majority of the issues. How it blew in half I will never know. The plugs had low KM. If a plug was over tightened I could see this happening a short while after install but its been 40 000km or so. Unless it was slightly cracked and time and now weather finished it off I am not sure. So the plug would have been loose and getting worse everyday until it finally failed completely.

A buddy of mine was able to get the spark plug threads removed from the head with a screw extractor. Luckily the threads in the head were not damaged. All 6 spark plugs replaced and it still misfired but ran 100x better. I narrowed it down to another coil so I replaced the coils and now she runs like her old self again.

you can see the bottom threaded portion of the plug still in the head.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2010 130i MT

Looks like that couldve been a mess to fix. Glad to see you got it all worked out.
      11-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
99wolfie
Private

I lucked out for sure. If the threads in the head were damaged or the remainder of the spark plug didn't come out so easily I would have had to remove the head.

Just glad to have my baby back
Appreciate 0