E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > HPF Exhaust Mod Suggestions

08-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
dpouldar90210
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Black e92 345i coupe N55

HPF Exhaust Mod Suggestions

Hello,

I was hoping to get some help from you all. I purchased a 3.5" HPF exhaust for my N55 coupe a while ago. Due to its large size (3.5" main pipe), this exhaust rattles, bumps the heat shield (when going over speed bumps), and even scrapes the floor now that I lowered the car.

Since dealing with these problems, I've made several modifications to the system so that it rides higher- this was done to prevent contact with the floor when going over pot holes, bumps, etc. I've even gone so far as removing one of the V-bands (replacing it with welds) which was both the lowest and highest point on the system to prevent any contact.

Although the exhaust now rides high enough so that contact with the concrete should not be a problem, it seems that the install is not tight enough. For example, the exhaust tends to jump up (and hit the heat shield) when going over imperfections in the road. I think its worth mentioning that this system does not have any hangers like other exhaust systems- the only connections to the car is at the down-pipe and 2 small hangers toward the end that hold the tips in place. Im pretty sure this lack of connections leading to a loose fit explains why the system moves around so much when going over any imperfection in the road (subsequently hitting my heat shield pretty often).

I was unable to attach pics of my own car, but a 328i exhaust system showing the lack of install points is attached

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/Ki...C9395.jpg.html

Any suggestion?

I was thinking of adding some extra hangers. Thoughts?

I would really appreciate the help!!
Attached Images

dpouldar90210 is offline   United_States
      08-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
MrNeef
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 535i FBO

Get tighter hangers to start.
      08-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
benzo23
Colonel

Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Thats actually a HPF 135 exhaust in your picture, different mounting points.
      08-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

Ummmm did you by yours second hand or from a shady dealer? Because mine definitely is solid no flopping whatsoever and has three very solid mounting points front, mid, and rear. The only thing I will confirm its around the DP area needs to be adjusted if you are low and like many modified cars, speed bumps are NEVER your friend regardless of exhaust!
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
HeavyMetalRocker is offline   United_States
      08-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
dpouldar90210
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Black e92 345i coupe N55

Any suggestions on where to purchase used OEM exhaust hangers to modify to fit this HPF exhaust system?

does anyone have any HPF exhaust mount they'd be willing to sell?
dpouldar90210 is offline   United_States