E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 335I V brace question / Exhaust Install (Pics and Video of Quad Exhaust)

08-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
labedra
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

N54 335I V brace question / Exhaust Install (Pics and Video of Quad Exhaust)

(SHERE, SHARE, SHARE, did I share? Share thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. GOING BACK TO STOCK IS NOT A SUGGESTION!)

Hey guys can anyone tell me how important is the V Brace that goes under the exhaust and connects center car chassis rear suspension bridge? I had to remove it do to installation of aftermarket exhaust and debating on just running a custom brace per each side. I saw that HPF exhaust came with spacers where their exhaust fits above the stock brace after using the spacers provided. The exhaust I got was from VRSF and it is a beautiful piece but required me to remove the V brace. Running washers is not an option the exhaust sits too low and believe me i worked all day on tucking it as close to the chassis as possible. I welcome any ideas for custom brace, but debating if it is even worth making. I'm thinking of making one but per each side of the chassis so it would look like V brace but cut in half as the exhaust pipe needs to be in the middle..... and sorry but I couldn't find anything on the site for this topic. Maybe my searching skills are not so great

I'm talking about part #17

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///

Last edited by labedra; 09-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.
labedra is offline   United_States
      08-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
dfjaws
First Lieutenant

Drives: '08 E90 M3 - '02 Z3 Roady

I don't have mine anymore since my exhaust and the car seems just fine.
      08-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
pwr hungry
Banned

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
I don't have mine anymore since my exhaust and the car seems just fine.
Seems fine and IS fine are two different things. I would think that such a large piece would have been left off and the cost removed if BMW didn't see it as necessary.
      08-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
dfjaws
First Lieutenant

Drives: '08 E90 M3 - '02 Z3 Roady

I'm not an engineer, and I'm not recommending this to anyone... I'm just providing the OP with my personal experience related to not having that brace. Is my car secretly tearing itself apart without that brace? Maybe. So far it has not though.
      08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

Well it isn't there because it looks good - there is a specific reason, so I would want it on my car!

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
      08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Dr. G
Brigadier General

Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Take a sharp right turn and then hit the gas and watch traction control light up like christmas.
There was a huge difference in how my car behaved when I took it off for my Vanguard exhaust. The car was squirmy and the traction control was going off all the time. I took off the Vanguard to see if it was all in my head, but I immediately noticed a difference in how the car behaved and the traction control wasn't going off anymore.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
      08-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
robc1976
DIYER

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Take a sharp right turn and then hit the gas and watch traction control light up like christmas.
There was a huge difference in how my car behaved when I took it off for my Vanguard exhaust. The car was squirmy and the traction control was going off all the time. I took off the Vanguard to see if it was all in my head, but I immediately noticed a difference in how the car behaved and the traction control wasn't going off anymore.
Agreed, mine came loose and I heard all kinds of squeaking/creaking....tightened it up and all went away.
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
      08-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
labedra
First Lieutenant

Thanks for the comments ya i feel maybe a little loose but I think because of extra horses with VRSF exhaust I can tell you that it pulls a lot harder in lower rpm range anyway I'm looking for suggestions on custom brace i really like the VRSF exhaust and would rather fab a custom brace then taking the exhaust off.

08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
BD_e92
#teambimmer

Drives: 335i xDrive e92

Had it off when i had my hpf exhaust and noticed a difference in the feel around turns and i put it back and the car felt better.. The hpf came with spacers that drops the bracket lower to clear the exhaust but they didnt work that well because after a ton of adjustments somehow the exhaust would always wind up sitting on the bracket giving me a nasty metal on metal vibration
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
      08-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Dr. G
Brigadier General

Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra View Post
Thanks for the comments ya i feel maybe a little loose but I think because of extra horses with VRSF exhaust I can tell you that it pulls a lot harder in lower rpm range anyway I'm looking for suggestions on custom brace i really like the VRSF exhaust and would rather fab a custom brace then taking the exhaust off.
I doubt it's really pulling much harder at all with just a catback, the sound probably makes it seem faster. You could try an aftermarket brace to see if it alleviates the problem, there might be some Hotchki's braces still floating around here
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
      08-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
davidwarren
Private First Class

Drives: '01 325i '06 325i '10 335i

Wouldn't it be easier to squish the exhaust where it would hit the brace than to build a custom brace?
      08-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
pwr hungry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to squish the exhaust where it would hit the brace than to build a custom brace?
Hey, I have an idea...lets put a restriction in your really efficient exhaust! How about
      08-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
davidwarren
Private First Class

Drives: '01 325i '06 325i '10 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry
Quote:
Hey, I have an idea...lets put a restriction in your really efficient exhaust! How about
I would love to see objective evidence that such a small change in shape (not size) results in any measurable difference.
      08-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
pwr hungry
Banned

Quote:
I would love to see objective evidence that such a small change in shape (not size) results in any measurable difference.
Considering you're going to be using a mallet, a mallet and a torch at best, to do your "fix", you will not be reshaping as much as crushing and reducing interior dimensions. As for changing shape...you are talking about increasing the dimensions width wise and shrinking them in height, and then re-tightening the width and increasing the height to get back to round. What you suggested and I just outlined will create a low pressure and high pressure zone on either end of the shape change. So, I reiterate my original point. Why would you damage an otherwise fine product?

The solution is to modify the brace, add bushings for clearance, or design a new brace to accommodate the exhaust.
      08-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Bimmerscoding.com

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I doubt it's really pulling much harder at all with just a catback, the sound probably makes it seem faster. You could try an aftermarket brace to see if it alleviates the problem, there might be some Hotchki's braces still floating around here
+1 I have one on my car because I had to take that brace off...I wasnt too comfortable without that because it does hold the rear together IMO. I found a used Hotckis brace. I have no idea why they dont make it anymore for our chasis but I am glad I found one used for 150 bucks...Try finding one
cn555ic is offline   United_States
      08-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
labedra
First Lieutenant

Guys guys guys, did i said guys, when i man much harder, i meant a little only....like 45hp more (COBB stage 2 agressive ST ---> FTW), besides that sounds from space, ok exaggerating, anyway.... exhaust is awesome, having said that i adjusted it again and again and again and again, did I saiy again? Well..... now it even sits 1in higher then before. The reason for that is that I didn't know what that extra bracket was for. After fiddling around and drinking couple of Stellas....and taking my time i figured that i have to remove the old bracket on driver side, bolted to differential. Ok so the exhaust sits good now.... since i forgot that. However, i loosely screwed the V brace in to the back of the differential bridge as showed in the pic above.

I raise the V brace up and I'm missing about 1.75 inches from the V brace hitting the exhaust. Guys I sit low. I almost slammed racing style if you know what I mean. The exhaust is tucked under the car at closest point from first pipe which connects to Y pype, first pype at 1/4 of an inch from the heat shield of the car. Can't go any higher or i be hitting the body/heat shield. Ok so I measure the and this SUCKS in my mind but I say FK IT!

I drop the car from jack stands and go for a spin all TCS swizzle off. Just so you know i sit about 2.5 in off the ground running Bilsteain PSS10 all nicely tuned by ME and the dealer allignment! I have driven a lot of cars before and this is the setting for me. OK first impression the car is loose, 2nd impression taking sharp highway banks at 50,70,80, and above...... ya you must think I crazy by now.... but this is how I roll on testing this shit. OK enough... But ya I test test, test, and test, so ....my impression the rear end is not exactly same as it used to be I say it is very hard for me to tell the difference but after multiple tests at speed way over ..... ha... I say I can feel a little like 5% of compromise of the chassis.

I will at some point create a custom brace but it almost seems to me like the car is more fun to drive. As for chassis reliability I DON'T KNOW. I know e46 M3 had issues with chassis and frame so will this shit impact it I would definitely like to know. I'm a hobbyist of BMWs, I''m not a BMW engineer, but I see little difference in chassis performance and yes I had people throw up in my car just because it seemed like a roller coaster to them.

So you know I will still custom fab this brace as I like no compromises. Probably will custom fab multiple V braces and test test test test then will pick the best one but any suggestions are welcome. If you want to flame, torch, burn, set on fire etc. me go ahead! I smoke you at the line anyway

OK enough of this horse shit too much vodka now ..... keep your replies coming I want to hear it all!

08-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
deathbunny
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335I

So you can't run the stock brace with the VRSF exhaust installed?
      08-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
labedra
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
So you can't run the stock brace with the VRSF exhaust installed?
You can but you need massive and I say " MASSIVE spacers" dude like 2in spacers to be sure maybe 1.75 inch just to make sure the exhaust "1st pipe" is not hitting the V brace plate. Since my car sits so low I can not. The only solution IMO is to custom fab this. This is easier said then done..... Many people will just not do it because of the testing and work involved. But I'm not like many so.... sorry my profound language, FK IT I will custom fab it. The only reason why is because I can and I love this 335i! M3 Pfffffff smoked all the time this N54 engine is a gem. I don't think many people realize it and the people that buy this car don't really know what the hell this thing is capable off I say like 90% of them. I LOVE BMW 335i the best car ever maid! So i think BMW finally realized the true benefit of turbo ..... Look at the news ... besides that 335i is a gem. Daily driver , track day ...... ya .... but you better get your mods and do research of turbo an overheating ...ha.... do you bake a cookie for one person or the masses? Solution is simple, air flow, 2 oil intercoolers, mine is stock and never hit over 260 deg F but i drive stick, it makes some difference in heat... FK IT if i win the lotto i make this car #1 car on the planet! BMW did a really good job of developing this car.... BUT....left to enthusiasts to mod it with limited support .... HEY BMW LET ME BE THE CEO huh?

NEVER THE LESS THE ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE EVEN STOCK!

Last edited by labedra; 08-18-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: MALAKA!
      08-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
blisstik
Major

Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The best solution is to go back to stock or get something that compatible with the brace. It's there for a reason!
      08-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
labedra
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
The best solution is to go back to stock or get something that compatible with the brace. It's there for a reason!
Sorry that is not a solution for tuners IMO. Stock ya for your wife not for enthusiasts. This sucks I know but once you tune you never go back to stock... FOR WHAT? Why you tune in first place? This is not rocket science you know... Only if only you had a roll cage in the car this woulnd make much difference as the roll cage would stiffen up the chassis but for a daily driver and some track day car and some ladies would you want a roll cage in the car I doubt it. The only roll cage I can see in a normal persons future is a dedicated track car and to me track car = race car. Do you see a roll cage in a Ferrari? The answer is NO, is this car capable with aftermarket parts capable of a Ferrari performance ...... ha ha ha ha .....stating for the record performance....= YES! OK having said that still..... no one is going back to stock ......I"m trying to come op of a solution for all you out there for FREE! If you like open source then I will give it to you for FREE! I don't give a shi t I will make this thing awesome for free ! You do the work though, the idea will be for FREE! Did I say I don't give a s h i T! Ya free once I test and make a brace I will post it make it brake it whatgever......will post pics within 3 weeks.......

Last edited by labedra; 08-19-2013 at 12:07 AM.
      08-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #21
blisstik
Major

Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra
Quote:
Sorry that is not a solution for tuners IMO. Stock ya for your wife not for enthusiasts. This sucks I know but once you tune you never go back to stock... FOR WHAT? Why you tune in first place?
All in saying is there are other aftermarket exhausts that don't require removing the brace. And exhausts nets 10whp tops.
      08-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
labedra
First Lieutenant

Quote:
All in saying is there are other aftermarket exhausts that don't require removing the brace. And exhausts nets 10whp tops.
BS,...... there is more then HP involved here... OK 10 HP how about weight savings...? Anyway ... if you like spending money ....go buy an exhaust for $750 more where you will need to cut your exhaust off (i.e BMW PERFORMANCE EXHAUST or some other brands out there )...making it more difficult to reinstall back to the the sotck if needed as it has to be welded back in). Tuners will get your money but they will not help you if you are on your own...... LOOK guys....., I'm not from VRSF or any tuner, I send money, get the exhaust and install my self...... FK IT ...do what you want but the car has to perform better then stock! Your car do what you want.....I will only post a solution to V brace but any help is welcome here, kind of like brain storming of a solution from e90post...... I'm relying on your help... hey my car is the ginny pig so ....PLEASE tell me of your proposed solution to this BMW V Brace. I hope you get the idea, don't mean to be rude here but the thread is TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITHOUT V brace or suggest how to make a better one (THAT FITS) for MANY aftermarket exhausts. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Ya that probably should have been the topic of this thread.

Anyway having a solution to this V brace would be nice for the people that like to make things right for many exhaust systems that have you take the V brace off. I was told to use washers ..... OK ....like 50 of them? ha the exhaust pipe is 3.5 in and almost half of it is below V brace limit. There is also a solution to tourch the exhaust and make it fit but for what i think V brace would be easier to FAB then that.

Last edited by labedra; 08-19-2013 at 01:20 AM.