E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > What hose is this?

08-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: '11 335d

What hose is this?

I can't seem to find this hose in any RealOEM diagrams... It looks to come from one of the turbos, and connects to what seems to be a pressure sensor of some sort.

The rubber portion of the line seems to be permanently crimped to the metal portion, leading me to believe the whole thing is one part, however I cannot seem to identify it.

Also, looks like I've got slight oil leakage on the turbos, visible through a small opening in the heat shield. Do you fellas also have that or are my turbo oil supply lines also on their way out?

Car is under CPO, appointment scheduled one week from today. At the moment, the car sounds like a street sweeper (loud hissing) and I've got an exhaust smell in the cabin with the HVAC on. Want to determine if I am going to cause more damage by driving it like this, or if I should try and put a band-aid fix on that rubber line when she's cold. It is going to be difficult as there isn't much hose left to work with...

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
      08-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
It could just be common oil seepage from the pressure line. That line has two gaskets and a common area for leaking but no real harm done to the engine.

Have you checked your oil level?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Forgive me as I haven't popped my hood to verify, but is it number 12 (11657803012) shown here?
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...modelYear=2011

EDIT: after further review of your pic, I don't think it is.

I think it is more likely number three shown here (good work, Greek)...
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...modelYear=2011

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-22-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Have you checked your oil level?
Oil level looks good, skid plate (plastic underbody cover) looks dry too. It looks like an ever so slight leak, but with the temperatures that that turbos hit, you'd think that "wet spot" would dry up rather quickly. I have been keeping an eye on it and it has been there for quite some time. I'll be bringing it up when I bring it in for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I think it is more likely number three shown here (good work, Greek)...
I'm going to have to look into this more. I have a hard time believing that this would be an oil supply line, seems more like a line to determine boost pressure, based on the fact that it really only makes noise when turbos have kicked in, and it is bone dry. Also, the part # on the gizmo this line connects to comes back as a pressure sensor. I'd think an oil supply line would be spraying oil all over the place, or at least be somewhat covered in oil. This line has simply become brittle and cracked in half.

Last edited by bdwyer; 08-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  179.9 KB

Then it should be one of some shown above, but I don't see any hard lines called out.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Very odd. Even the hard lines I see in those oil feed pics don't resemble this one; it terminates on a plastic nipple on that "pressure sensor". Could be wrong, but that pressure sensor looks to be part of #12 in this diagram Link

Actually, nevermind, it can't be #12 because I can see that in one of my pictures. It's above it and is either mounted to the turbo assembly or the passenger side rear of the intake manifold.

Someone else also has to have had this line go and know what it is. I have just over 50k on the clock, all highway. The way this hose crumbled, and how hot that hard line gets make me think it must be fairly common.

Last edited by bdwyer; 08-22-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Found it!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=13&fg=15

Part #9

With that burnt through, you have zero back pressure... DDE might never do a DPF Regen?

Stupid parts - they have SCR and other emissions stuff all over the place. Hate the fact that SCR/DEF stuff is in the FUEL SYSTEM pages.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=13&fg=15

Part #9

With that burnt through, you have zero back pressure... DDE might never do a DPF Regen?

Stupid parts - they have SCR and other emissions stuff all over the place. Hate the fact that SCR/DEF stuff is in the FUEL SYSTEM pages.
Yeah that's definetly the part. Thanks dude. I actually am going to put a piece of high temp fuel hose where that rubber once was and save the piece to show BMW. That crimped on coupling literally slid right off.

Any idea what that thing does? looks like its been getting hotter (metal portion) since the hose popped. It has rainbowed.
      08-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwyer View Post
Any idea what that thing does? looks like its been getting hotter (metal portion) since the hose popped. It has rainbowed.
The transducer (switch) it goes to (right under the engine cover) is listed as the back-pressure sensor (see page). My guess is that it's used to help discover the exhaust flow, including pressure over the DPF. Without it, I'm guessing turbo performance is off, and possibly regen cycles aren't happening. But I'm really just guessing.

Not good to have raw exhaust gasses right there, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

That sounds about right. I feel like I've lost a little bit of power. The hose I put on isn't perfect, its folded sort of, probably blocking proper flow. better than that terrible sound and the smell in the cabin though!
The angle for that flex hose is just terrible, I might take it off again tomorrow and shorten it a bit in an attempt to relieve the fold in the 90 degree bend a bit.
It's good to at least know what the exact part is though, it would probably take a tech a while to have figured out that part number too!
      08-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Nice find floydarogers!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I couldnt see the pics since Im at work but if its leaking and it was the RED hose then you need gasket replacement like I found out when we made the OEM change to WAGNER IC, eventually THAt leak will do harm to your vehicle so excuse me if Im incorrect on the particular hose
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
I couldnt see the pics since Im at work but if its leaking and it was the RED hose then you need gasket replacement like I found out when we made the OEM change to WAGNER IC, eventually THAt leak will do harm to your vehicle so excuse me if Im incorrect on the particular hose
Nah man, turned out it was an exhaust back pressure sensor line, in other words, an upstream exhaust leak! Line was listed on an SCR diagram. Thanks for the heads up tho!

Now I wonder if maybe that hose was split, prior to its complete blowout. I've put a few thousand miles on the car and I don't think I've ever felt it do a DPF regen cycle. Going to be mentioning this when I bring it in to have that replaced. At this point, I am assuming this should all be under CPO or emissions warranty. If it isn't, I'll be replacing this line myself.
      08-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Cool my friend it was a minor issue
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
crazyinp
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
That sounds about right. I feel like I've lost a little bit of power. The hose I put on isn't perfect, its folded sort of, probably blocking proper flow. better than that terrible sound and the smell in the cabin though!
The angle for that flex hose is just terrible, I might take it off again tomorrow and shorten it a bit in an attempt to relieve the fold in the 90 degree bend a bit.
It's good to at least know what the exact part is though, it would probably take a tech a while to have figured out that part number too!
Why don't you buy new one from BMW? Looks like the price is pretty low. Also, BMW might cover it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Why don't you buy new one from BMW? Looks like the price is pretty low. Also, BMW might cover it under warranty.
I have a service appointment scheduled next Thursday. I'll let them deal with the replacement. I didn't like the idea of leaving this hose blown to pieces for a whole week. If they say it's not warranty I'll do it myself, but with the hose blown in half like that and it being part of the emissions system, I can't see them not covering it. I'd also like them to make sure everything else is OK after that hose blew; I'm not sure how common this is. Maybe there is an ulterior cause of this thing going bad.
      08-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
crazyinp
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Agreed, for a second I thought you decided to fix it yourself and not deal witht the dealer.

Quote:
I have a service appointment scheduled next Thursday. I'll let them deal with the replacement. I didn't like the idea of leaving this hose blown to pieces for a whole week. If they say it's not warranty I'll do it myself, but with the hose blown in half like that and it being part of the emissions system, I can't see them not covering it. I'd also like them to make sure everything else is OK after that hose blew; I'm not sure how common this is. Maybe there is an ulterior cause of this thing going bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
Rep

As a follow up, this "backpressure pipe" ended up being covered under CPO. Additionally, the oil on the turbo visible through the shroud was fixed. A very small leak was found in a turbo oil supply line, requiring the use of a UV dye in the oil to locate. This was also covered under CPO.

Thanks again to floydarogers for finding that pipe in the SCR diagram!
      09-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again to floydarogers for finding that pipe in the SCR diagram!

Let us know if mileage/drivability improves.
Appreciate 0