E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > The Content of Character

08-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Andy H.
Banned

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

The Content of Character

Generally speaking, there is an epidemic of bad parenting going on in America. The three teenaged boys accused of murdering a young Australian man in Oklahoma were constantly in trouble, according to local authorities. After being apprehended, there were cries that they are "good kids." Bull. The overwhelming evidence is that they are thugs. A background check on their parents finds they are largely irresponsible and apathetic. One mother is even in prison.

In Spokane, Washington, two 16-year-old boys have been charged with beating a World War II veteran to death. The father of one of the accused killers told the press he doesn't understand how this could have happened. Then he admits he hadn't talked with the boy in weeks and that his grandmother was essentially raising him.

There is no question that American society is becoming increasingly callous and coarse, and part of the reason is that derelict moms and dads refuse to set boundaries for their children. Many parents are distracted, simply caring more about themselves than their children - and the kids know it.

Some liberals want the government to replace bad parents by pouring billions of dollars into social programs that often wind up being baby-sitting services. This is a fool's errand. The government cannot overcome bad parenting. What our leaders can do is publicly condemn irresponsible parental behavior in vivid terms.

When was the last time you heard a powerful politician do that? The truth is the powers-that-be are mostly afraid to mention the collapse of the traditional family because the secular-progressives will attack any judgmental behavior by a politician. Unless a public person is a saint, he or she has no right to cast aspersions on any parental situation according to the secular left.

Sociologists well understand that chaos at home causes violent behavior, educational failure and social alienation among children. Yet, many of us in America stay far, far away from this topic.

That in itself is a national scandal. Bad parenting is gravely harming this nation. Let's get that out in the open. And the campaign should begin with the President of the United States.
      08-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Bad parenting is the root of all evil - don't become a parent (but I know you will succumb, say 'f*** it' and do the irresponsible thing..
      08-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
240,000 Miles

Drives: Moon

As a great grandparents we have watched as social programs have became the child's parent. No longer can schools, mom and dad or grandparents take these kids to task. DCFS will throw the teacher, parent or the neighbor lady in jail if they do. In other words "we can't touch them" and they damn well know it. What do we need to do? You go back to laws that were written prior to 1960 and then throw everything else out that has been enacted since. BTW, the draft needs to come back also. We had very little of this crap before it was done away with.
42 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

I really enjoyed last sunday's sermon at my church. The pastor ripped into parents who let their kids control their lives. It's a detriment to the parent, family and as especially the child.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
pgviper
Second Lieutenant

Drives: G37s Coupe

I think this should move into the zimmerman thread.

All three of these events were in and out of the media within days...
pgviper is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
240,000 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I think this should move into the zimmerman thread.

All three of these events were in and out of the media within days...
I disagree. This thread is about parenting and The Content of ones Character.
      08-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
pgviper
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
I disagree. This thread is about parenting and The Content of ones Character.
So why don't we throw in the hatchet man from britain. I wonder how his parents raised him.
      08-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
pgviper
Second Lieutenant

Parenting or not and UNLIKE the zimmerman trail. This crime involves race.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ng-on-twitter/

The "kids" who commited these crimes are scum bags, a$$ wipes of the earth. They commited what the definition of a senseless murder is. Unfortunately at least one of them is racially motivated and I wouldn't be surprised if even more were also.

Speaking of parenting, the kids got it from somewhere. But you know what, according to family, they are "good kids". LMFAO, what a load of $hit.
      08-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
240,000 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
So why don't we throw in the hatchet man from britain. I wonder how his parents raised him.
Huh?
      09-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

It's no accident that those kids you find in AP/Honors classes, you will also see their parent(s) at the school on a regular basis. Conversely, those who are regularly failing will have parents conspicously absent.

Once my son was born, I almost immediately gave up all my "leisure" activities in the pursuit of providing him a bright future. I have surfed less times than I have fingers, and I used to hear the waves at night. I weigh about the same, but all my muscle mass has dropped to my belly. I just shot some 12-gauge ammo that was older than my son. But all these things I am now doing WITH him.

He just started high school, and the first day home he complained that all the kids in his AP classes are blond, but when he goes out into the hallway, he can't see a blond for all the brown/black hair. I reminded him how blessed he is that his father got a good education/job and has spare time and money to spend on his upbringing and sports competition.
UncleWede is offline   United_States
      09-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Devious21
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Huh?
I assume he's talking about the soldier that was stabbed in the street? If so, that was more a result of fanaticism than simply bad parenting.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Devious21 is online now   No_Country
      09-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Andy H.
Banned

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's no accident that those kids you find in AP/Honors classes, you will also see their parent(s) at the school on a regular basis. Conversely, those who are regularly failing will have parents conspicously absent.

Once my son was born, I almost immediately gave up all my "leisure" activities in the pursuit of providing him a bright future. I have surfed less times than I have fingers, and I used to hear the waves at night. I weigh about the same, but all my muscle mass has dropped to my belly. I just shot some 12-gauge ammo that was older than my son. But all these things I am now doing WITH him.

He just started high school, and the first day home he complained that all the kids in his AP classes are blond, but when he goes out into the hallway, he can't see a blond for all the brown/black hair. I reminded him how blessed he is that his father got a good education/job and has spare time and money to spend on his upbringing and sports competition.
I'm with you. My children are in AP classes and make the honor roll. All the teachers know my wife. We are very active in insuring our children complete their homework and that it is in good order.
      09-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

It is crazy that one of the most impactful things you can do on this earth, (impactful for better or for worse, but significantly impactful for decades nonetheless), has absolutely no filters or barriers to entry, aside from the basic ability to perform an innate biological function.

Just because you are capable of impregnating someone else, does not qualify you to be a father, and just because you are biologically capable of carrying a fetus to term and delivering a live baby does not qualify you to be a mother, and yet modern society creates a situation where that is the only test that must be passed.

Of course, many people smartly self-govern, and realize it is in their own best interest to choose to not indiscriminately pop out babies which they (and the absentee father(s) ) will likely not care to raise properly.

Sadly, it seems the group of people who lack this common sense filter is growing larger and larger with each generation.

I know this Onion article was meant to be a joke, but I'm not laughing any more....

"CHICAGO—In a report with dire implications for the intellectual future of America, a University of Chicago study revealed Monday that the nation's uneducated are breeding twice as fast and twice as often as its educated. "The average member of the American underclass spawns at age 15, compared to age 30 for the average college-educated professional," study leader Kenneth Stalls said. "America's intellectual elite, as a result, are badly losing the genetic marathon, with two generations of dullards born for every one generation of cultured literates." Added Stalls: "At this rate, by the year 2100 there will be five smart people on Earth, swallowed whole by more than 12 billion mouth-breathers incapable of understanding the binary exponentiation that swamped the Earth with their like." High-school dropout Mandi Drucker, 16, said of the findings, "All I know is, we're in love."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/stu...sia-2to1,4282/
      09-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
i dunno
First Lieutenant

Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
i dont believe that parents have to be heavily involved with the school to have good kids. i went to a top high school and took ap classes while participating in extra curriculars. my parents never stepped foot on school grounds and never showed up to any of my sport events. i'm not saying my parents are bad or anything, but different strokes for different folks. i kind of enjoyed that hands off approach, but thats just my experience.
      09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

Quote:
This is the most important thing. Without a doubt.
bimmerjph is online now   United_States
      09-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

i_dunno, there are always a few self-starters in every generation. I guess we found 1 in whichever you belong. But your parents didn't let you run hog-wild and not show up to school.

Maybe they were sufficiently satisfied that you were taking care of business and let it run its course?
UncleWede is offline   United_States