E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Walmart Battery MAXX-H8 Experience



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Walmart Battery MAXX-H8 Experience

Just wanted to share my experience with my battery install. My original battery was manufactured in November 2005 for my 2006 325i. I followed a DIY from youtube except I disconnected some wires on the distribution box (don't know how he got the battery out of there with no problems). Also, there are two vent holes, so I used black electrical tape to cover the vent hole on the negative side. The vent hole on the positive side is in the exact position as the OEM vent hole.

I installed a Walmart MAXX-H8 battery which is identical to the OEM battery. It has a 3 year replacement warranty and a 2 year pro-rated warranty. I spent $119.00 for the battery and it was manufactured in August 2013.

I registered the battery by buying a $10 cable from e-bay and used free software (donations accepted) from a member on here, smooth1. Google/download BMWLogger.

If anything goes wrong I will post an update, otherwise figure everything is fine.

The DIY video is located here:
Attached Images
     
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 03-26-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Update: Harsh winter below -10 and all is well.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
16
Rep
873
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Subscribed.
Interesting to see the results in 1 year.... Please keep us posted.

DN
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Forever Fly
Major
Forever Fly's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,373
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 M Sport TiAG
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silver Spring, MD

iTrader: (1)

Just bought, installed and coded this battery last week. We'll see how it holds up, but for $150 Total and a 3 year replacement warranty I don't care too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Subscribed.
Interesting to see the results in 1 year.... Please keep us posted.

DN
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Fly View Post
Just bought, installed and coded this battery last week. We'll see how it holds up, but for $150 Total and a 3 year replacement warranty I don't care too much.
Agree. Pretty much a no lose situation.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
bmwfan75
Private
1
Rep
85
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

hi there, I want to thank you so much for your help.

I bought the EverStart Maxx H8 battery from walmart for about $120, bought a cable online for $35, then registered the battery successfully this morning. This must have saved me a boat load of money because I didn't have to tow it to BMW and get a BMW battery!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan75 View Post
hi there, I want to thank you so much for your help.

I bought the EverStart Maxx H8 battery from walmart for about $120, bought a cable online for $35, then registered the battery successfully this morning. This must have saved me a boat load of money because I didn't have to tow it to BMW and get a BMW battery!
No problem!

By the way, did you place black electrical tape over the extra vent hole?
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Boony
Private First Class
Boony's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: 07' E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.75]
I'm gonna be doing this tomorrow.

Went to pepboys, they gave me the wrong battery, I realized it was the wrong size but they claimed it will work...upon installing, the vent was only on the negative side, so can't connect that hose.

Gonna return that and go to walmart for the maxx H8.
It looks slightly larger than the oem, any other special notes for the install?

I was swapping the pep boys battery and it started thunder storming lol, I am forced to leave the car completely disconnected from a battery, think anything will screw up?

Also, when coding the battery in, don't you need to take into consideration for the amp hours and the reserve time?
What is the actual CCA/Ah/Reserve for this battery?

Will write back once I install the battery!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boony View Post
I'm gonna be doing this tomorrow.

Went to pepboys, they gave me the wrong battery, I realized it was the wrong size but they claimed it will work...upon installing, the vent was only on the negative side, so can't connect that hose.

Gonna return that and go to walmart for the maxx H8.
It looks slightly larger than the oem, any other special notes for the install?

I was swapping the pep boys battery and it started thunder storming lol, I am forced to leave the car completely disconnected from a battery, think anything will screw up?

Also, when coding the battery in, don't you need to take into consideration for the amp hours and the reserve time?
What is the actual CCA/Ah/Reserve for this battery?

Will write back once I install the battery!
I don't have anything else to add to the experience.

I didn't code the battery, all I did was install the free program as described above and registered the battery. Registration tells the system it is a new battery and prevents the battery from being overcharged.

I researched amp hours/reserve and came to the conclusion that it didn't matter and it was close enough. Forgot why I came to that conclusion. . Also, CCA doesn't matter either so long as it is equal to or greater than the OEM battery.

You should have no problems with your battery being completely disconnected from the car. Just hope you remember how to put it all back.

Let us know how it goes and post updates if anything goes wrong (or right).

Good luck!
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 04-16-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
EZ_TUR90's Avatar
Armenia
57
Rep
3,112
Posts

 
Drives: E90 & E92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

Hey guys I want to switch my battery out in the very near future. I was wondering if you can provide a link to the cable, and the software. Greatly appreciate it.

I too will post results.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ_TUR90 View Post
Hey guys I want to switch my battery out in the very near future. I was wondering if you can provide a link to the cable, and the software. Greatly appreciate it.

I too will post results.
This forum won't let you post a link to the free software program to register the battery. That is why you have to Google/download BMWLogger. The cable is blue and I bought it from eBay for $10. I think the site BMWlogger also has more info on the cable.

Let us know how it goes when you install yours. I am interested if anyone experiences any problems. That is why I did a DIY for my transmission oil change. Everyone was so scared to change "lifetime fluid" and replace it with any other fluid even if the fluid is compatible. So instead of just giving my opinion I put my money where my mouth is and changed the fluid. To date not a single person experienced any problems or reported that their transmission died.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,791
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I did something very similar two years ago, think I have a thread on it... Walmart MAXX battery, think they gave it a different model name back then, paid a similar price too.

I found an independent to register the battery for cheap. A short while later, I found the registration resource you refer to. Super idea for many reasons.

After two years and more than 30k miles, all is well.
__________________
AA Stage 2 - M3 control Arms FR - BMW PS2 - Dinan springs - APEX EC-7 - H&R front swaybar - GC street camber plates - Whiteline subframe inserts
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
16
Rep
873
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs
I did something very similar two years ago, think I have a thread on it... Walmart MAXX battery, think they gave it a different model name back then, paid a similar price too.

I found an independent to register the battery for cheap. A short while later, I found the registration resource you refer to. Super idea for many reasons.

After two years and more than 30k miles, all is well.
This is what I wanted to hear.

Anyone care to say how long they had the Walmart battery for?
If possible, what specs were different compared to OEM.

PS: Wakmart carries Castrol 0W30 also.

DN
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
Boony
Private First Class
Boony's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: 07' E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.75]
Well, I was in a hurry and switched my plan to go to Walmart and went to auto zone instead.
I bought the Duralast Gold H8-DLG instead since they were literally down the block from me.

It is the same exact form factor as the Maxx H8 battery with the single horizontal handle, instead of the oem dual handles. The vent holes came with a cap and a vent tube. I capped the negative end and the existing hose perfectly fit into the positive side.

I didn't take pictures I was in a rush, but if I can snap a few soon I'll edit this post and add them.

The battery is 900cca, 150 reserve minutes, still can't find the Ah but my buddy coded it fine.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
Kodak
The Law
Kodak's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bronx, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Hi 'Chriztofor' can you send me the link for the 'Blue Cable' that you bought .,thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
This forum won't let you post a link to the free software program to register the battery. That is why you have to Google/download BMWLogger. The cable is blue and I bought it from eBay for $10. I think the site BMWlogger also has more info on the cable.

Let us know how it goes when you install yours. I am interested if anyone experiences any problems. That is why I did a DIY for my transmission oil change. Everyone was so scared to change "lifetime fluid" and replace it with any other fluid even if the fluid is compatible. So instead of just giving my opinion I put my money where my mouth is and changed the fluid. To date not a single person experienced any problems or reported that their transmission died.
__________________
2006 Alpine ,325xi sedan,Terra, steptronic,Xenon,heated seats,Premium package
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #16
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
Hi 'Chriztofor' can you send me the link for the 'Blue Cable' that you bought .,thanks.
It was so long ago I forgot where I got it from (I believe ebay). Goto bmwlogger and I think they can point you in the right direction.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo
7
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: stick
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Fume from batteries is acidic so any leaked fume will corrode any metal inside the battery compartment. Having an "extra" vent doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. And we all know that any method short of fused plastic has a chance to fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
Fume from batteries is acidic so any leaked fume will corrode any metal inside the battery compartment. Having an "extra" vent doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. And we all know that any method short of fused plastic has a chance to fail.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
10,706
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Checked out their website- pretty cool, but I don't see how to identify the chassis of the BMWs supported, although I assume includes the E90, E91, E92, and E93, since this is a E9x forum.

What's all this M stuff, and how are we know which of the chassis are supported?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
WRichieX
Captain
WRichieX's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
956
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Checked out their website- pretty cool, but I don't see how to identify the chassis of the BMWs supported, although I assume includes the E90, E91, E92, and E93, since this is a E9x forum.

What's all this M stuff, and how are we know which of the chassis are supported?
I use bmwlogger to check and clear codes. It's literally just plug and play.

My battery is going out and need a new one. Cars starting to do weird things. Engine shutting off when operating the roof. Cluster saying that my cars on an angle and roof won't operate but it does. Bluetooth drops out. Just weird things. Then i charge the battery for a bit and all goes away. I guess it's safe to say you can go with a cheaper battery as long as the cca is same or higher. what about other specs do we need to comply with?
__________________

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #21
gkroegman
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Carolina, USA

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone else think its ridiculous that you need to register a battery to your car? Or pay out the butt to have a dealer do it? Replacing a battery on any other car is a simple task - disconnect old battery. Connect new battery. Drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #22
illrider
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irving, TX

iTrader: (1)

I'm assuming I can use my 1-vin bavarian technic cable to with the software listed to register the battery?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST