Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 335i handling in REAL snow w/REAL winter tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

08-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
dawgcatching
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335i

335i handling in REAL snow w/REAL winter tires

OK, so I see plenty of threads comparing 335xi's w/all-seasons to 335i's with snow tires. Sure, a car w/snow tires should outperform one w/o those tires, Subarus excepted. Most of the 335i drivers posting deal with snow, have real snow tires, but live in the flatlands. Sure, I have never been to Chicago, but it really can't be as rugged of terrain as living in Tahoe or Eastern Washington.

So, how does a 335i do in REAL winter conditions, on real (6-10%) snowy grades. Assuming Blizzaks are being run on all 4's. Conditions, say, like going to the ski hill (which sits 4000 feet above town) 3 days a week? I want to hear from those users, either positive or negative.

FWIW, I am driving a 2011 328i, and have the itch to upgrade to a 335i. I really don't want to find out I can no longer get to the hill once late November rolls around. 328i is fine in the snow, even with less than full-on snow tires (Dunlop winter sport, which aren't much softer than all-seasons). Also, I know how to drive in snow. Been living in the mountains all but 5 years of my drivers-license holding life. The only issues I ever have had were sliding into a ditch, because, you guessed it, not changing over tires that were basically bald before the snows hit.

Yes, I have looked at a 335xi, but the added cost of putting on decent suspension and getting a reasonable ride height is a turn-off.
      08-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
deathbunny
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335I

If you can get around fine in your 328 you will not have any problems with a 335. The nice thing about turbo cars is when driven slowly it will feel like your 328. The turbos wont kick in till you accelerate enough for it to need them. You could even run a detuned map in the winter (not that I think it would be necessary but it is possible) if you end up tuning the car.

I lived most of my life in the mountains of PA and NY and have had several fast NA and turbo cars and the turbo cars are much easier in the winter.

Last edited by deathbunny; 08-30-2013 at 01:21 AM.
      08-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
AndyR83
Major

Drives: E92 335i FBO

I have a 335i (not X drive) and I put 4 Blizzak LM-60's on it last year. I never had a single problem. PA gets a decent amount of snow.
      08-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
drexplode
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Send a message via AIM to drexplode
I had a e92 335i with blizzaks in Michigan, no problems. 50/50 weight distribution + DTC / ABS + snow tires = no problem

Just purchased an E90 335i, and snow tires are already in the garage ready to go; daily driver in the winter!
drexplode is offline   United_States
      08-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I got around just fine last winter with my 18 inch OEM rims and a set of Michelin Alpin PA3 tires.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      08-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
miringrains
blacks on blacks on blacks on racks

Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Depends really if you know how to drive.
      08-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Saintor
Colonel

Drives: E90

My car sits lower than a M3. I drive around with no problem. I tried to avoid extreme snowstorms days with more than 8", maybe 1-2 times a season.
      08-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant

Drives: 2010 335d

I've posted in these threads before: "AWD just gets you stuck further in the woods". Or down the road.

I used to have a 330xi - with snows it would simply outperform any car with all-seasons, including all those jacked-up SUV/Trucks with knobby tires (they're ridiculously poor performing.) I gave up the AWD when buying my 335d, but not the snow tires - running Bridgestone LM-26. Never had any trouble last year driving to my cabin (200 yards up rutty, often un-plowed road) or the ski area (Crystal Mt near Mt. Rainier). But I'm an extremely experienced snow driver, and drove the Highlander a few times just to be sure I'd be able to get to the cabin (the ski area would never have been a problem because the road is always pretty well maintained.)

My son (not sure if he posts here) got stuck just a little bit only once coming to the cabin in his 335i with LM-60. He was backing out of the drive, limited ability to turn, road was a little uphill, rutted badly. Had to do a little shovel and sand job, no problems. Wouldn't have gotten stuck with AWD, but a shovel and a little care works wonders.

The extra 3/4" of the 'xi cars won't help a lot - you can still get high-centered. Don't forget to turn on DTC if you're climbing hills and need a bit of speed/momentum to get up. If you do get stuck, STOP IMMEDIATELY and PLAN how to get un-stuck; spinning your tires is never right.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
      08-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Micheline Alpine 3

Purchase a set of Micheline Alpine 3's and you will be set for 4-5 winters.

You can get them cheap now, but you will pay lots more for them in November.

I paid 580 out the door on eBay.
mweisdorfer is online now   United_States