E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A quick COBB Stage 1 Drive vs OFT Stage 0 review

08-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
derrick603
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i

A quick COBB Stage 1 Drive vs OFT Stage 0 review

A few weeks ago, I drove up to Danville with COBB's Stage 1 Drive map installed in my car and drove home running OFT Stage 0. I bought the COBB soon after it was released and used the Sport maps for a good while, but found them to be a bit aggressive for our ACN91 fuel, so I downgraded to the Drive map. My car is an 07 with only a DCI and tune.

Tune differences: The OFT tune, in terms of feel and performance, are much better than either of the COBB maps I've tried. The power difference is obvious all through the rev range. Throttle response is much better on OFT, and power comes on much more progressively than it did with the COBB maps. I can't comment on the safety of the flash yet since I haven't had time to do any serious logging.

Hardware differences: The AccessPort is a much more refined unit, IMO. In or out of the packaging, it would not look out of place on a shelf at Best Buy whereas the OFT hardware is definitely not designed to impress. The OFT's touch interface isn't the most responsive thing in the world (especially compared to say a smartphone), but it's usable. One thing I would like to see is a longer OBD-II cable on the OFT. COBB's cable is long enough for center console mounting, the OFT's is not.

Usability: Both are pretty easy to use in terms of downloading/generating maps, flashing the ECU, logging, etc. I don't think there's much to complain about for either platform in this regard.

My preference? I sold the COBB unit soon after getting the OFT. It's a better fit for my needs (I don't care much about the aesthetics) and at a cheaper price, so the choice was obvious. I also like that it's still under active development while AccessPort development seems to be moving at a glacial pace.
      08-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
SLV335I
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 335I 6MT

That's great to hear. I'm about to jump to the OFT and just like you my only mod is the DCI.
1994 Supra TT (Sold)
1994 RX7 TT (Sold)
      08-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Alessandro
Major

Drives: E92 335i 08 ret, 335is 11 ret.

Garage List
2011 335is  [4.75]
Send a message via Skype™ to Alessandro
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
A few weeks ago, I drove up to Danville with COBB's Stage 1 Drive map installed in my car and drove home running OFT Stage 0. I bought the COBB soon after it was released and used the Sport maps for a good while, but found them to be a bit aggressive for our ACN91 fuel, so I downgraded to the Drive map. My car is an 07 with only a DCI and tune.

Tune differences: The OFT tune, in terms of feel and performance, are much better than either of the COBB maps I've tried. The power difference is obvious all through the rev range. Throttle response is much better on OFT, and power comes on much more progressively than it did with the COBB maps. I can't comment on the safety of the flash yet since I haven't had time to do any serious logging.

Hardware differences: The AccessPort is a much more refined unit, IMO. In or out of the packaging, it would not look out of place on a shelf at Best Buy whereas the OFT hardware is definitely not designed to impress. The OFT's touch interface isn't the most responsive thing in the world (especially compared to say a smartphone), but it's usable. One thing I would like to see is a longer OBD-II cable on the OFT. COBB's cable is long enough for center console mounting, the OFT's is not.

Usability: Both are pretty easy to use in terms of downloading/generating maps, flashing the ECU, logging, etc. I don't think there's much to complain about for either platform in this regard.

My preference? I sold the COBB unit soon after getting the OFT. It's a better fit for my needs (I don't care much about the aesthetics) and at a cheaper price, so the choice was obvious. I also like that it's still under active development while AccessPort development seems to be moving at a glacial pace.
+10000 on Throttle response is much better on OFT, and power comes on much more progressively than it did with the COBB maps.

The response is stock like, never had a tune with this response and i tried all of them.
Alessandro is offline   Serbia
      08-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Johnny Boost
Captain

Drives: '11 335i M-Sport

Good review. Have you thought about running stage 1 for the OFT?

LUX v4 LEDs | Shadowline Grills | M3 Lip Spoiler | 5% tint
      08-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
derrick603
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
+10000 on Throttle response is much better on OFT, and power comes on much more progressively than it did with the COBB maps.
One thing that really annoyed me with the COBB maps was part throttle response in-gear at highway speeds. The response with OFT looks like this:

light boost -> moderate boost -> expected boost

The response with the COBB maps looked more like this:

nothing -> nothing -> expected boost
      08-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
derrick603
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Good review. Have you thought about running stage 1 for the OFT?
I was planning on adding an intercooler before trying the Stage 1 maps, but I might give it a shot earlier once I have time to do more logging.
      08-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Alessandro
Major

Drives: E92 335i 08 ret, 335is 11 ret.

Garage List
2011 335is  [4.75]
Send a message via Skype™ to Alessandro
wait untill you guys try stage 2
Alessandro is offline   Serbia
      10-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
rborane
Private First Class