E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Soooooo... Syria. Let's hear it

View Poll Results: Should we act
No: It is not our civil war. 66 72.53%
Pending: We need further concrete evidence of chemical warfare. 6 6.59%
Yes: A couple cruise missiles are ok. That's about it though. 6 6.59%
Yes: Strike with significant impact. Hopefully it gets the job done : / 4 4.40%
Yes: Drop the hammer. Time to cripple their military and teach Syria a lesson they won't forget. 9 9.89%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

08-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
pgviper
First Lieutenant

Drives: X3 xdrive35i

Soooooo... Syria. Let's hear it

Well, we are on the verge of war with syria. Let's see what people's opinions are.

My thoughts.
1) I think that we should follow Britain's move and be 150% positive that chemical weapons were used.
2) I think we should act strong. Make sure that our actions have a significant impact.
3) I am surprised France seems so gung-ho to get involved.
4) If we don't act, then our country needs

Concerns:
1) Impact on the region ... Israel. I think countries like Iran and Syria will use us attacking them as a way to try and demolish Israel.
2) Russia and China.
3) Ten years down the road headlines read "NEW REPORT, USA SENDS IN STRIKE ON SYRIA RESULTING IN WORLD WAR 3 BASED ON FALSE REPORTS OF CHEMICAL WARFARE".

I am far from educated on this area of the world but I know some of you are extremely educated and have first hand experience on how things operate. I would love to hear your opinions on:

1) What the USA should do?
2) What will the effects be on the middle east?
3) What will the effects be on the rest of the world?

Thanks and discuss.
pgviper is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

I'm somewhat torn, but voted no, it's not our civil war.

I'm torn due to the reported use of chemical weapons. While I don't like that whatever side is using them, I feel like if the US gets involved, we won't win either way. If we don't get involved, they will be angry with us. If we get involved, it may just turn out to be another Afghanistan where our allies at the time will become our enemies.

If we do get involved, it should be similar to Libya. Cruise missiles and air strikes. No troops on the ground.
      08-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
pgviper
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I'm somewhat torn, but voted no, it's not our civil war.

I'm torn due to the reported use of chemical weapons. While I don't like that whatever side is using them, I feel like if the US gets involved, we won't win either way. If we don't get involved, they will be angry with us. If we get involved, it may just turn out to be another Afghanistan where our allies at the time will become our enemies.

If we do get involved, it should be similar to Libya. Cruise missiles and air strikes. No troops on the ground.
I agree. The only problem is that our president opened his mouth and stated that we will take action if checmical weapons are used. Now that this precedent has been set, there is no turning around. Unfortunately our bluff has been called...
      08-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I agree. The only problem is that our president opened his mouth and stated that we will take action if checmical weapons are used. Now that this precedent has been set, there is no turning around. Unfortunately our bluff has been called...
Obama is in a no win situation himself.

Republicans in Congress( particularly McCain) have been hammering him over not getting involved. If he did get involved, I bet it would be the opposite like it was for Libya.

Though since he doesn't have to worry about reelection anymore, he shouldn't give a damn what the GOP may think.
      08-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Freon
Captain

Drives: 2009 135i

If we don't do anything its hypocritical at least for Obama, and the US in general is then weak on what is considered a war crime. No one blames NATO, just us. Thank Russia for blocking UN action.

If we something significant like major bombing runs (no way we put troops in), we're World Police and much of the world will hate us for being imperialist pigs. It will still cost a bunch of money in bombs, fuel, plane maintenance, etc.

If we just lob a few cruise missiles it won't do much to change the outcome of the war I suspect. They'll fix their cratered runways, etc. And we're still World Police and people will hate us, but slightly less than if we turn half the country into a crater. Cost may not be so high besides the few missiles and all the fuel we used moving ships around (already spent).

I'm suspicious that we can change the outcome of the war without putting our own troops in, which is an absolute no go politically at this point.

Whoever wins, whatever we do, we lose. 'Merica.
      08-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Why isn't the Arab League stepping up?

As far as I'm concerned, intervening is a lose-lose situation. The Assad government hates us, and the rebels are backed by Al Qaeda. The British Parliament is smart enough to see this is something we shouldn't touch with a 1,000 pound smart bomb, as they voted down any possible military action from their end.

Let the Arab League grow up, and solve their own problems.
MediaArtist is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
pgviper
First Lieutenant

Looks like they are leaning towards option 3. Strike but make it essentially a slap on the wrist. Pretty much enough to piss everyone off. Rebels will be pissed that we didn't help enough. Assad will be pissed that we bombed him. This situation is moronic. Anyway think similar?
http://news.msn.com/us/kerry-lays-ou...ntion-in-syria
      08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
240,000 Miles

Drives: Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Looks like they are leaning towards option 3. Strike but make it essentially a slap on the wrist. Pretty much enough to piss everyone off. Rebels will be pissed that we didn't help enough. Assad will be pissed that we bombed him. This situation is moronic. Anyway think similar?
http://news.msn.com/us/kerry-lays-ou...ntion-in-syria
What the west needs to do is TURN THEiR BACKS AND WALK AWAY. This region of the world is not going to change and its time to "Wash our hands".
42 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Eagle1oh7
Captain

Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Let the non-US part of NATO take care of it...oh wait, there is no such thing. It'll be like Libya, they'll drop all their bombs and not plan accordingly and then call on us to help with fuel, reconnaissance and ordnance.

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, MMW Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Eagle1oh7 is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

my friend who is a Navy spook was over last night. He says it's no win for the US, participate we lose, don't participate we lose. He also feels that since his boss is a no balls jack ass, he will try to please all by some menial action which will put minimum troops on the ground. Mostly personnel such as himself. He and his intelligence crew will ship out immediately should we get involved.

He feels a moral obligation to get involved (maybe he knows more about chemical / biological weapon use than we do) but with the political climate feels the US should only get involved if there is overwhelming support from the rest of the world.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Syrians are killing Syrians, so we're going to kill more Syrians to demonstrate that Syrians should choose weapons we don't find distasteful when killing Syrians.

What a plan.

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Our ONLY goal is to do SOMETHING to STOP Assad from using chemical weapons again.

The correct strategy is:

Hit Syria with missiles aimed at airport runways, command posts and other logistical areas etc.

This will accomplish 2 objectives:

1) It will tell Assad then when the most powerful country in the world (USA) tells you if you cross a specific line you will pay for it, we MEAN IT!!

2) It may/may not totally PHYSICALLY inhibit Assad from using chemical weapons again, but it is sure to PSYCHOLOGICALLY inhibit him.
Meaning if he DARES do this again after getting hit by our missiles, then he has one hell of a nerve and he'll have the whole world against him after that, except for pitiful Iran.

Last edited by BlueZ4Arizona; 08-30-2013 at 11:20 PM.
      08-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4Arizona View Post
Hit Syria with missiles aimed at airport runways, command posts and other logistical areas etc.
I agree with this.

Our mission should be solely to stop Assad from using chemical weapons again. Not to allow the "moderates" to take power. Neither side is exactly friendly towards us.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
      08-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

The Russians are saying that it was rebels that staged the attack to look as if it was the govt. I have no idea of what's true, but seems odd that the Russians would take that position. Assad knows he would lose support of Russia and others if he used chemical weapons, so the situation doesn't seem that cut-and-dried. Assad was also gaining the upper hand in the conflict prior to this, so also seems suspicious that he did it.

Obama drawing a "red line" was stupid - he set the stage for the US to be manipulated.
      09-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
You've got 2 camps
Bashar, the president, who everyone agrees is an murdering asshole
And the rebels, who are mainly radical Islamists.
So when you go and bomb them, which side are you helping?
Either way, it's a bad, stupid move, which is why only 2 countries are for it.
The US, because bombing other countries is their speciality, and the French, which I can't understand yet. And I love how the US is now saying France is our oldest ally. This is the same France that was hated the last time they didn't fight with you. And French fries became freedoms fries

kmarei is offline   Egypt
      09-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
quagmire
I am Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
You've got 2 camps
Bashar, the president, who everyone agrees is an murdering asshole
And the rebels, who are mainly radical Islamists.
So when you go and bomb them, which side are you helping?
Either way, it's a bad, stupid move, which is why only 2 countries are for it.
The US, because bombing other countries is their speciality, and the French, which I can't understand yet. And I love how the US is now saying France is our oldest ally. This is the same France that was hated the last time they didn't fight with you. And French fries became freedoms fries
Technically France is our oldest ally. They helped us in the Revolutionary War.
      09-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
pt
Private

Drives: I miss my E12

It's interesting that BO is punting an approval vote to Congress. Regardless of which way the vote goes, there will certainly be political consequences for the party deemed responsible. BO seems to be buying time for some reason; maybe he's holding out for UN inspections (though I'm not sure how long that would take)?

To more directly address the poll, my opinion is that if the government finds all of the participants unsavory, then avoiding the conflict the right thing to do.
      09-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Andy H.
Banned

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Obama's bluff has been called. Doing nothing further confirms to our enemies, all around the world, that we are weak. Add to this that Obama has SIGNIFICANTLY weakend our military via spending cuts. It gets worse. His policies and agenda have put us 17 trillion in debt. As a result, we simply do not have the revenue to rebuild/strengthen our military force to successfully defend our nation while at the same time being involved with Syria.

Retaliation against Syria would dangerously weaken our country financially, as we would need to borrow more money to finance the cost of war associated with increasing our military resources. In the meantime, the U.S. is already on the cusp of another downgrade on our national debt.

Our enemies, around the world, know this is an opportune time to increase the pressure on our military, spreading us thin, by striking hard against us. This is why Obama, yesterday, put the decision on whether we should retaliate against Syria to Congress. He knows they will vote against this move. As a consequence, this is a win/win situation for Obama. He will be able to get what he wants by not retaliating against Syria and offset the resulting blame of being a weak president on congress instead. Our president's biggest concern, at all times, is himself. Screw the folks/country he was elected to serve, defend and protect. Great leadership, huh?

Obama's lack of experience and leadership, arguably in all aspects as our president, is disgusting and has put our great nation in such horrible peril in so many ways.

This is what we get when 52% of our nation ignorantly votes for "hope and change" from a community organizer that is learning the job of POTUS from OJT. Am I wrong?

I can just see a response now from an ignorant far left liberal progressive ideologue making an excuse, supporting Obama, that it's, "all Bush's fault!"

What the hell happened to common sense?!?

Last edited by Andy H.; 09-01-2013 at 03:30 PM.
      09-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Be Awesome 335i
Captain

Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Obama's bluff has been called. Doing nothing further confirms to our enemies, all around the world, that we are weak. Add to this that Obama has SIGNIFICANTLY weakend our military via spending cuts. It gets worse. His policies and agenda have put us 17 trillion in debt. As a result, we simply do not have the revenue to rebuild/strengthen our military force to successfully defend our nation while at the same time being involved with Syria.

Retaliation against Syria would dangerously weaken our country financially, as we would need to borrow more money to finance the cost of war associated with increasing our military resources. In the meantime, the U.S. is already on the cusp of another downgrade on our national debt.

Our enemies, around the world, know this is an opportune time to increase the pressure on our military, spreading us thin, by striking hard against us. This is why Obama, yesterday, put the decision on whether we should retaliate against Syria to Congress. He knows they will vote against this move. As a consequence, this is a win/win situation for Obama. He will be able to get what he wants by not retaliating against Syria and offset the resulting blame of being a weak president on congress instead. Our president's biggest concern, at all times, is himself. Screw the folks/country he was elected to serve, defend and protect. Great leadership, huh?

Obama's lack of experience and leadership, arguably in all aspects as our president, is disgusting and has put our great nation in such horrible peril in so many ways.

This is what we get when 52% of our nation ignorantly votes for "hope and change" from a community organizer that is learning the job of POTUS from OJT. Am I wrong?

I can just see a response now from an ignorant far left liberal progressive ideologue making an excuse, supporting Obama, that it's, "all Bush's fault!"

What the hell happened to common sense?!?
///15% Tint///Shadowline Trim///Piano Black Kidney Grills///JB4 G5 Map5///AFE Pro 5r w/ Scoops///BMS DP,s///BMS Oil Catch Can///ER Chargepipe w/ HKS bov & 2 Meth Bungs///Hamman Carbon Front Lip w/ JG Mods Side Skirt Splitters///BMS LED Angel Eyes///Cobb FMIC///JG Mods Carbon Performance Spoiler///BC Coilovers. Yes......in this order.....
Be Awesome 335i is offline   United_States
      09-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Be Awesome 335i
Captain

Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Syrians are killing Syrians, so we're going to kill more Syrians to demonstrate that Syrians should choose weapons we don't find distasteful when killing Syrians.

What a plan.
indeed
///15% Tint///Shadowline Trim///Piano Black Kidney Grills///JB4 G5 Map5///AFE Pro 5r w/ Scoops///BMS DP,s///BMS Oil Catch Can///ER Chargepipe w/ HKS bov & 2 Meth Bungs///Hamman Carbon Front Lip w/ JG Mods Side Skirt Splitters///BMS LED Angel Eyes///Cobb FMIC///JG Mods Carbon Performance Spoiler///BC Coilovers. Yes......in this order.....
Be Awesome 335i is offline   United_States
      09-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

I miss the days when a POTUS and his administration would THINK before making statements. And then, after making an educated and calculated decision, follow through with them.

At least when this happens, right or wrong, all the options were weighed, a decision was made, and the plan was followed. Other countries in the world know that when military decisions are made, they are followed through on. When you're not trying to look like a bad ass and spouting off in the school lunch room, you can take all the time you need to make a decision for a course of action. But once you do, you make good on that course of action unless there are other reasons to abort. You had better not be bluffing when you spout off in the world's lunchroom.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      09-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
And I love how the US is now saying France is our oldest ally.
They are our oldest ally. They helped us out a lot during the Revolutionary War.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States