E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > I cannot for the life of me understand why my ride is so rough

08-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
miringrains
blacks on blacks on blacks on racks

Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

I cannot for the life of me understand why my ride is so rough

So I'm running megan racing springs on bilstein struts. When I just put in the struts (I was running stock struts) the ride improved on bumps (such as gas lines on highways). After a week it went right back to normal, and I'm so tired of it. Every single bump I hit on the highway sounds like I ran into a curb, I really have no idea why this happens. FYI my bilsteins do not run bumpstops.

Can anyone tell me why the ride was tolerable for a week, and then it defaulted to crappy again?
      08-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
dubsesd
Colonel

Drives: Z4M coupe / X5 35d LCI /F150

Do u have run flats? First thing to change for a smoother ride.
2006 ///M Coupe TiAg / IR -- H&R coilovers/RPI exhaust/ZHP knob/19" Morr MS52 ONE hand brushed & polished/Stoptech 355mm 6/4 BBK/Turner strut bar/polished diagonal braces/m tower caps/tekarbon 2x2 coil cover/Michelin PSS/gloss black kidneys/painted gloss black roof/mstache 2 front lip/AFE dry intake/RPI forced induction/colormatch corners/black chrome //M badges/rear diffuser/aeroskirts/carbon sideskirt extentions/rogue mounts/DKF adjustable hangers/22%tint/euromode lighting/LED interior & plate lighting
      08-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Bbox
Enlisted Member

Drives: 06 330i sedan

I don't understand, did you have the Megan Racing springs before you installed the Bilsteins?
Bbox is offline   United_States
      08-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
How much drop do the Megan's give (link please)?

Also which specific Bilsteins are you running?
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      09-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
1.Could be because spring rate is high

2. bilsteins may not work with megans drop.

3. add some bumpstops? maybe it will help with major bumps.

unless it was installed improperly. not much you can do. try different springs.
      09-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

One possibility (maybe remote in your case) with the bilstein sports is, due to the design in front (inverted monotube inside a McPherson strut housing), air can get trapped inside the lower part of the housing. This gives you 2 things, a little extra ride height and a somewhat softer effective spring rate. Until the air bleeds out over a few days or weeks of driving, then you are sitting on whatever your springs and bushings were before.

If you look at the "shaft" of the bilstein you will notice it is extremely thick, that is because even though it does slide up and down inside the housing, it is actually the shock body itself in there, the fluid, gas etc is inside that shaft. A smaller diameter ordinary shaft is bolted to the inside bottom part of the housing. The piston is attached to this one and it is the main body that slides up and down inside the housing around the piston. This is why you CANNOT add bump stops to front bilsteins, they have them inside already (at the bottom of the little shaft) and the exterior shaft is too thick.

So air gets trapped under there, this is one reason bilstein instructs you to fully compress new shocks before installing. It is a hassle though, as when new each time you jack up your car with front at full droop it sucks some air back in and needs to settle a bit afterwards. Goes a way as the seals break in.

Anyway the mystery here is not why they are harsh, I would expect Megan race + bilsteins to be harsh. The mystery is why they were ever soft, and the above is the only thing I can think of.
      09-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Captain

Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains View Post
So I'm running megan racing springs on bilstein struts. When I just put in the struts (I was running stock struts) the ride improved on bumps (such as gas lines on highways). After a week it went right back to normal, and I'm so tired of it. Every single bump I hit on the highway sounds like I ran into a curb, I really have no idea why this happens. FYI my bilsteins do not run bumpstops.

Can anyone tell me why the ride was tolerable for a week, and then it defaulted to crappy again?
What spring rates you runnin' and were the Bilstiens matched to your springs?

Inspect your suspension lately? Stock arms?

Need much more info....
      09-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
edirtaynine
Major General

Drives: e92

and did somebody tell you megan racing stuff is legit "performance" parts? cuz if they did, that person lied to you. lol

jm3as hooks it up
      09-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Nafy
Private

Drives: 11 328i sedan

It takes time for new springs to settle after installation so the intial feeling is not accurate.
      09-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

I say there are a lot of variables that go into a harsh ride quality. Quality of springs, or rates, or progressive/linear all play a part. As stated above, sometimes bump stops will help with harshness over bumps. Possibly you have your strut rebound to high? How many miles are on your car? Subframe bushings going out? I would just have it professionally inspected.

-Mike
HP Autosport is offline   United_States