E90Post
 


E92-lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car feels like its choking



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Car feels like its choking

So ive been running the oft stage 1 map for over a month and the car has been driving fine, but recently i noticed that when accelerating quickly it feels almost as if the car is choking and struggling to accelerate.. My plugs were changed a month ago when i first tuned it and my other mods are ae performance exhaust and bms dci.. Also when pushing the car hard im getting a slight rotten egg smell even with the stock dps in place.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
sofresh
Captain
 
sofresh's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2010
Location: U.S.A.

Posts: 783
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
So ive been running the oft stage 1 map for over a month and the car has been driving fine, but recently i noticed that when accelerating quickly it feels almost as if the car is choking and struggling to accelerate.. My plugs were changed a month ago when i first tuned it and my other mods are ae performance exhaust and bms dci.. Also when pushing the car hard im getting a slight rotten egg smell even with the stock dps in place.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
sounds like fuel pump is bad. Any codes thrown?
sofresh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
sounds like fuel pump is bad. Any codes thrown?
Nope no codes at all, ive been trying to push it hard by doing numerous wot pulls to see if i get any codes but havnt gotten one.. Also have no issues at startup such as long cranks or rough idles
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
buster84
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 335i E93 & 2007 X5 4.8
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 652
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Nope no codes at all, ive been trying to push it hard by doing numerous wot pulls to see if i get any codes but havnt gotten one.. Also have no issues at startup such as long cranks or rough idles
Since this is something that is consistent, why not take it in for warranty? remove yours mod's first lol.

Also try removing the tune and run it stock. If its fixed, re-install the tune and if it comes back its probably the lpfp not being able to keep up with the higher hp amount. Meaning it'll probably fail soon. If it does it with the stock tune, take it in under warranty.
__________________
09 E93 335I AT | M-Sport Front bumper (replica) | M3 Side Skirts (replica) | M-Sport Rear Bumper (OEM) | Procede Rev 3 | OpenFlash With Custom Auto Flex Fuel 2.1 Flash | Vishnu Flex Sensor | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS DCI | Walbro e85 pump + Walbro GLS392 inline running Full e85 | Beyern Mesh 18x8.5 (front) 18x9x5 (rear).
buster84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Since this is something that is consistent, why not take it in for warranty? remove yours mod's first lol.

Also try removing the tune and run it stock. If its fixed, re-install the tune and if it comes back its probably the lpfp not being able to keep up with the higher hp amount. Meaning it'll probably fail soon. If it does it with the stock tune, take it in under warranty.
Yeah im going to try flashing back to stock and see how it runs.. But what could explain the rotten egg smell with stock dps? Do you think it could be running the 18psi with stage 1 that my cats are on the verge of failing? I also have never had the intake valve cleaning
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
buster84
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 335i E93 & 2007 X5 4.8
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 652
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Yeah im going to try flashing back to stock and see how it runs.. But what could explain the rotten egg smell with stock dps? Do you think it could be running the 18psi with stage 1 that my cats are on the verge of failing? I also have never had the intake valve cleaning
Ive never had a smell, and im sure its not the OFT thats the problem. I have 65k and never did an intake valve cleaning either. I need to get it done, but havn't got around to it. Mostly because i dont want to pay $600+ for it when i can do it myself. I'll eventually do it myself just havn't got around it since its been not stop hot here in Sac.

Maybe someone stuck an egg in your tail pipe? Lol, or maybe you have a small dead animal in your car, like a rat, mouse ect... that is creating an odor that your smelling?

I cant imagine any car producing a rotten egg smell...
__________________
09 E93 335I AT | M-Sport Front bumper (replica) | M3 Side Skirts (replica) | M-Sport Rear Bumper (OEM) | Procede Rev 3 | OpenFlash With Custom Auto Flex Fuel 2.1 Flash | Vishnu Flex Sensor | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS DCI | Walbro e85 pump + Walbro GLS392 inline running Full e85 | Beyern Mesh 18x8.5 (front) 18x9x5 (rear).
buster84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
theriz
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ventura County, CA

Posts: 2,868
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335i M-Sport  [2.00]
2009 X5  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to theriz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
sounds like fuel pump is bad. Any codes thrown?
+1 sounds like a fuel pump
theriz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
tennis_pr0
Captain
 
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 889
iTrader: (1)

Rotten egg smell comes from gasoline. If you have high flow cats, when accelerating hard the cats are not burning as much fuel, so that is probably what the rotten egg smell ks. Normal. Can anyone else chime in on this if i am wrong...
tennis_pr0 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pr0 View Post
Rotten egg smell comes from gasoline. If you have high flow cats, when accelerating hard the cats are not burning as much fuel, so that is probably what the rotten egg smell ks. Normal. Can anyone else chime in on this if i am wrong...
I dont have high flow cats, i have stock cats and i thought rotten egg smell is associated with fully catless cars
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
 
CT335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

Posts: 335
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
I dont have high flow cats, i have stock cats and i thought rotten egg smell is associated with fully catless cars
The rotten egg smell is from catted cars , I have never heard of cars with no cats having that smell.
__________________
volk re30 18x8.5 / tc kline coilovers / cobb ap / afe stg 2 sealed cai / afe air scoops / 5" ets fmic
CT335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
The rotten egg smell is from catted cars , I have never heard of cars with no cats having that smell.
Maybe im mistaken then
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
JDrago1926
335i Owner
 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

Posts: 785
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Rotten egg smell comes from catless dp's not stock downpipes....

How many miles do you have on your car? You could potentially have clogged cats, especially if your car has never had walnut blasting done... If your over 40K I personally say get the walnut blasting. It's the best $350-400 to spend.
__________________
E90 - 2007 BMW 335i Sedan
40K miles
7" VRSF FMIC | BMS DCI | AR Catless DPs | OFT Stage 2
KW v2 Coilovers | M3 Front Control Arms
JDrago1926 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
 
CT335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

Posts: 335
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Maybe im mistaken then
I'm not saying I'm right for sure but maybe someone else will chime in.
__________________
volk re30 18x8.5 / tc kline coilovers / cobb ap / afe stg 2 sealed cai / afe air scoops / 5" ets fmic
CT335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
CustomColours
Banned
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Posts: 792
iTrader: (0)

Im pewttt sure when a cat is failing it stinks of rotten eggs. Iv been led to believe this to be the case aince I got my city and guilds in mechanics.
CustomColours is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post
Im pewttt sure when a cat is failing it stinks of rotten eggs. Iv been led to believe this to be the case aince I got my city and guilds in mechanics.
Thanks thats what i have always heard too, im leaning towards cats because the exhaust note has changed too since ive started experiencing this issue
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Update: i flashed the car to stage 0 and the car felt smooth again and i didnt experience any of the issues stated above with repeated highway runs.. I then tried reflashing stage 1 and the car felt sluggish again and wasnt running nearly as good as stage 0.. I guess my car just doesnt like stage 1, so until i figure out why my car doesnt agree with stage 1 i am going to run stage 0
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
tampaturbom3
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 335 ix AT, CLS 55 AMG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tampa,FL

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

my guess is that if you do have failing cats... then backpressure is too high and flow is restricted (plus excessive heat is created),,, and that would make Stage 1 too much of an aggressive tune for your current set up (plus fuel quality could play a part). so the stage 0 doesn't need quite the exhaust flow, so a small restriction wouldn't show up (not pulling timing, causing AIT's to go way up, etc).
It's just my guess of why a lighter tune works fine and the higher one chokes... Higher tunes will cause the weakest links to show up even if not easily detected..... for example, if your spark plug gaps or plug temps are not ideal, 15psi may not have an issue but 18psi could. with my e36 turbo m3, I had to upgrade my coil packs and play with the plug gaps to get them just right.
__________________
Tommy
2010 335 ix Msport AT
Proceed on "0" map, OTF, DCI, VSRF DP's
tampaturbom3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
The Kingpin
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Ive been having the same issue since i got my dps installed a few weeks ago. do the catless downpipes make the remaining car clogg?

car feels sluggish until i floor it. the sound of the exhaust also is muted.
The Kingpin is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
BD_e92
#teambimmer
 
Drives: 335i xDrive e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
Ive been having the same issue since i got my dps installed a few weeks ago. do the catless downpipes make the remaining car clogg?

car feels sluggish until i floor it. the sound of the exhaust also is muted.
Definitely something wrong with either install or somewhere else, with catless downpipes the turbos should spool up faster and increase throttle response and i have never heard of a muted exhaust after dp install, catless dps should increase exhaust note
BD_e92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
Johnny Boost
Captain
 
Johnny Boost's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TBD

Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

Just curious, what octane fuel are you using?
__________________
BMS Intake | BMS DP | Cobb AP V3 | E50 Pro Tune by PTF | VRSF CP | Alpina B3 TCU | Custom Coding

LUX v4 LEDs | Shadowline Grills | M3 Lip Spoiler | 5% tint
Johnny Boost is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
The Kingpin
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

It was nice a loud and growly when i got the dp installed. It was really responsive. ran nice for 2 weeks. I then had an overheat issue and had the water pump and thermo replaced this past thursday.

now the exhaust is muted and feels like it is choking. When i drive to 60km/hr it feels sluggish. It i floor it from there it rockets like normal but the exhaust note feels and sounds stifled. There seems to be a lot more burping and gurgling from the exhaust. If i sit and rev a few times there is a bit of a smell. not quite eggs but not exhaust smell.
The Kingpin is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
The Kingpin
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have any idea what might be my issue?

Clogged cat?
The Kingpin is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST