E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > iphone 5s or samsung s4?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
dragon1761
Lieutenant
dragon1761's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
509
Posts

 
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arcadia, CA

iTrader: (0)

iphone 5s or samsung s4?

in search of new phone my current phone is 3 years old.
Which one would you recommend? Which holds better resale value? It will be straight out of pocket because im with T mobile.Thanks for opinions
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
Whostheboss's Avatar
41
Rep
787
Posts

 
Drives: a 9incher
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut U.S.

iTrader: (0)

iPhone5s

however, why are you paying straight out the pocket. Doesnt T Mobile give a discount?
__________________
WHO'S THE BOSS
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
8,402
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

iTrader: (8)

Sister has an S4. I played with it but I'm not a fan. I'm upgrading my 4S to the 5S.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
Russian Federation
50
Rep
3,251
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 SG e90 335d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (11)

Send a message via Skype™ to koreez88
5S, but I were shopping for an android phone, I'd rather have HTC One. Wouldn't want to own plastic phones anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

5s. My dad had the s4 for two months. Not a fan of anything samsung.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i e92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin,tx

iTrader: (0)

It all depends how you use your phone. If you like to play angry birds for 6 hours instead of 4, get the iphone. If you like to actually use your phone, get an S4.

But seriously...the iPhone/Galaxy S argument has been around for years now.

Pros for the iPhone:
-Battery life
-real world speed (although the S4 bench tests faster than the current 5)
-Smaller (if you like that sort of thing)
-User friendliness (a 4 year old and a 104 year old can use one)
-Better business integration (although that can be easily argued)
-Brighter screen (better in direct sunlight)
-Doesn’t look as “cheap”
-New motion tracking ability (sounds pretty cool if you use a lot of fitness apps)
-Thumbprint reader (this could be an insanely awesome tool especially in the business world. It also would be really convenient for the every day person who unlocks their phone 100 times a day. It also has the potential to be disastrous if the thumbprint/algorithm is somehow able to be intercepted and deciphered. Of note: the thumbprint itself will be stored on a dedicated chip inside the phone so it should be nearly impossible to steal (key word: nearly).

Pros for the S4:
-Flash player
-Removable battery and storage card
-Durability- The iphone screens break even if you look at them the wrong way (although the s4 has its share of internal screen issues)
-Ability to use as an external hard drive (you aren’t limited to a dedicated computer/itunes)
-Bigger screen with a higher resolution

I certainly get why people own iPhones. I just don’t get why they get them EVERY year. The iphone 5S is only marginally better than the 5. I see value in upgrading your 4s (or older), but there is nothing to suggest you should upgrade within your contract.

For me personally: The Samsung S4
Why: I don’t like the constraints of the iphone. The tradeoff is that the S4 takes more time to use, but I like being able to swap batteries or sd cards out. I like being able to drag and drop files from my work computer, personal computers or anyone’s for that matter.

I was an iphone user up until the release of the Iphone 4. I made the switch to the Samsung Infuse at that point which was a TERRIBLE decision. That phone was one of the worst phones ever produced (for its time).
My personal opinion is that the Galaxy surpassed the iPhone when the S3 was released. Again, I realize that others won’t agree with that, but for me PERSONALLY it certainly did.

Get whatever you like. They're both great options. To say one sucks and the other doesn't it just plain foolish. They're both fantastic devices, just marketed towards different types of people.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
dragon1761
Lieutenant
dragon1761's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
509
Posts

 
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arcadia, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
iPhone5s

however, why are you paying straight out the pocket. Doesnt T Mobile give a discount?

nope. In order for me to get some sort of discount on the phones i have to upgrade my internet from $10 to $30 plan i believe.
$20x 24 months = $480 more + i got a $10 discount off my total bill with an employee discount with t mobile meaning i save $240 in 2 years on top.
so total i save in two years is $720. I will try to call t mobile though to see if there are any discounts to buy a phone from them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i e92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin,tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
nope. In order for me to get some sort of discount on the phones i have to upgrade my internet from $10 to $30 plan i believe.
$20x 24 months = $480 more + i got a $10 discount off my total bill with an employee discount with t mobile meaning i save $240 in 2 years on top.
so total i save in two years is $720. I will try to call t mobile though to see if there are any discounts to buy a phone from them.
That doesn't make any damn sense. Why wouldn't you get $10 off your total bill if you have a device contract? Plus, the $20 savings on internet is a moot point. You're paying less for less.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

5s bro
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
It all depends how you use your phone. If you like to play angry birds for 6 hours instead of 4, get the iphone. If you like to actually use your phone, get an S4.

But seriously...the iPhone/Galaxy S argument has been around for years now.

Pros for the iPhone:
-Battery life
-real world speed (although the S4 bench tests faster than the current 5)
-Smaller (if you like that sort of thing)
-User friendliness (a 4 year old and a 104 year old can use one)
-Better business integration (although that can be easily argued)
-Brighter screen (better in direct sunlight)
-Doesn’t look as “cheap”
-New motion tracking ability (sounds pretty cool if you use a lot of fitness apps)
-Thumbprint reader (this could be an insanely awesome tool especially in the business world. It also would be really convenient for the every day person who unlocks their phone 100 times a day. It also has the potential to be disastrous if the thumbprint/algorithm is somehow able to be intercepted and deciphered. Of note: the thumbprint itself will be stored on a dedicated chip inside the phone so it should be nearly impossible to steal (key word: nearly).

Pros for the S4:
-Flash player
-Removable battery and storage card
-Durability- The iphone screens break even if you look at them the wrong way (although the s4 has its share of internal screen issues)
-Ability to use as an external hard drive (you aren’t limited to a dedicated computer/itunes)
-Bigger screen with a higher resolution

I certainly get why people own iPhones. I just don’t get why they get them EVERY year. The iphone 5S is only marginally better than the 5. I see value in upgrading your 4s (or older), but there is nothing to suggest you should upgrade within your contract.

For me personally: The Samsung S4
Why: I don’t like the constraints of the iphone. The tradeoff is that the S4 takes more time to use, but I like being able to swap batteries or sd cards out. I like being able to drag and drop files from my work computer, personal computers or anyone’s for that matter.

I was an iphone user up until the release of the Iphone 4. I made the switch to the Samsung Infuse at that point which was a TERRIBLE decision. That phone was one of the worst phones ever produced (for its time).
My personal opinion is that the Galaxy surpassed the iPhone when the S3 was released. Again, I realize that others won’t agree with that, but for me PERSONALLY it certainly did.

Get whatever you like. They're both great options. To say one sucks and the other doesn't it just plain foolish. They're both fantastic devices, just marketed towards different types of people.
You forgot the biggest pro of all on the iphone
2 years from now, you'll still be getting software upgrades
If you own an iPhone 4S, pretty soon you will have FREE access to be latest ios7
Can't say the same for the S4

Plus the other pro, is a much larger infrastructure
Most cars now have iphone capability built in
Bose sound dock , ihome etc as well
A lot more choice when it comes to cases, and accessories in general
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Ehwnnc's Avatar
21
Rep
237
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

I have a iphone 4s. I have always hated apple products but at the time it was the smallest phone. I will never buy another apple product again. The worst customer service ever, slow as shit, cracks if you breath on it and so on. I cant wait till Jan so i can get a HTC
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
You forgot the biggest pro of all on the iphone
2 years from now, you'll still be getting software upgrades
If you own an iPhone 4S, pretty soon you will have FREE access to be latest ios7
Can't say the same for the S4

Plus the other pro, is a much larger infrastructure
Most cars now have iphone capability built in
Bose sound dock , ihome etc as well
A lot more choice when it comes to cases, and accessories in general
Not only that, but when there is an update you can get it immediately. With most Android phones, you have to wait until the manufactures put their skins on top of the Android update which can take months.

Why if I ever switched to Android I would prefer stock Android( and HTC due to their strong build quality and materials similar to Apple).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
12
Rep
884
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

5s in the champagne/gold color!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
1,824
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
You forgot the biggest pro of all on the iphone
2 years from now, you'll still be getting software upgrades
If you own an iPhone 4S, pretty soon you will have FREE access to be latest ios7
Can't say the same for the S4

Plus the other pro, is a much larger infrastructure
Most cars now have iphone capability built in
Bose sound dock , ihome etc as well
A lot more choice when it comes to cases, and accessories in general
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Not only that, but when there is an update you can get it immediately. With most Android phones, you have to wait until the manufactures put their skins on top of the Android update which can take months.

Why if I ever switched to Android I would prefer stock Android( and HTC due to their strong build quality and materials similar to Apple).
Interesting... I never heard of that software thing before. Can either of you post details on this from a credible source? I haven't had problems getting updates on my phone, that's why I ask.

On the topic of "infrastructure," that's not entirely true. My S4 hooks into everything that has bluetooth that my iPhone 5 did. Just as many options for cases and all that too. Not sure where you came up with that... Also, as an example, texts cannot be accessed using an iPhone hooked into Ford's SYNC in their cars. Bose bluetooth systems can be used with any bluetooth device...

I have an iHome as well that I still have my old iPhone 4 hooked into. I will say, most iHome devices are garbage, including the one I have. I wouldn't consider the iHome a plus of having an iPhone.

And also, there's like ten other posts on iPhone vs. Android.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8

Last edited by Templar; 09-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Interesting... I never heard of that software thing before. Can either of you post details on this from a credible source? I haven't had problems getting updates on my phone, that's why I ask.
http://gizmodo.com/5987508/why-andro...es-are-so-slow

Ok, so the issue appears to be an illusion of sorts than a real disadvantage. If Google didn't launch an update before their partners could do what was necessary to get it running on their phones, there wouldn't be frustration from users about the, update delay from when Google launches it to when they actually get it.

Last edited by quagmire; 09-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5987508/why-andro...es-are-so-slow

Ok, so the issue appears to be an illusion of sorts than a real disadvantage. If Google didn't launch an update before their partners could do what was necessary to get it running on their phones, there wouldn't be frustration from users about the, update delay from when Google launches it to when they actually get it.
It's not an illusion.
If you own any android device other than the google nexus
You can't just install the latest os when it comes out
You have to wait till/if your manufacturer releases it, since all the manufacturers take the basic google code, and add all of their crap onto it.
And in a lot of cases, the latest software version is never released for your phone.
I can install the ios software on any iphone that was released in the last 3 years the day it's released.
September 18th the ios 7 will be launched, you can install it on the iphone 5 and the 3 year old iphone 4S
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
It's not an illusion.
If you own any android device other than the google nexus
You can't just install the latest os when it comes out
You have to wait till/if your manufacturer releases it, since all the manufacturers take the basic google code, and add all of their crap onto it.
And in a lot of cases, the latest software version is never released for your phone.
I can install the ios software on any iphone that was released in the last 3 years the day it's released.
September 18th the ios 7 will be launched, you can install it on the iphone 5 and the 3 year old iphone 4S
Right....

Apple has to go through the same exactly steps listed in the article. If Google waited to release an update and work with the manufactures getting the update tested and made the changes needed for the update to work on their phones, there wouldn't be this issue. But since Google isn't controlling the update process, it is causing frustration among Android users having to wait for the manufactures to go through the steps to get the update running on their phones(if at all).

It's a draw back of the Android system and a positive for Apple's walled garden.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

On the topic of "infrastructure," that's not entirely true. My S4 hooks into everything that has bluetooth that my iPhone 5 did. Just as many options for cases and all that too. Not sure where you came up with that... Also, as an example, texts cannot be accessed using an iPhone hooked into Ford's SYNC in their cars. Bose bluetooth systems can be used with any bluetooth device...

I have an iHome as well that I still have my old iPhone 4 hooked into. I will say, most iHome devices are garbage, including the one I have. I wouldn't consider the iHome a plus of having an iPhone.

And also, there's like ten other posts on iPhone vs. Android.
So i assume you have access to an android dock that works with your BMW?
And can you display video from your android on your BMW nav screen?


Obviously I don't mean bluetooth, because that is a standard.
And you can't charge using bluetooth, so your still limited vs just plugging the iphone in.
I'm talking extra features that only work if you connect them with a cable

Do a quick eBay search, and compare how many cases, battery packs etc for iphone
And compare that to android
I know when I go to best buy, the have maybe 20 models for 10 android models, and like 100 different types for iPhones, 4 and 5 only.
Plus a lot of newer car models now support Siri functionality, which only works with the iphone

And I forgot to add one more thing
Come upgrade time, your iphone is worth a lot more than an android device
I pretty much only paid for my first iphone 1
Since then I sell the old one for at least $200, and use that to buy the newer model
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I said sort of an illusion.

Apple has to go through the same exactly steps listed in the article. If Google waited to release an update and work with the manufactures getting the update tested and made the changes needed for the update to work on their phones, there wouldn't be this issue. But since Google isn't controlling the update process, it is causing frustration among Android users having to wait for the manufactures to go through the steps to get the update running on their phones(if at all).

It's a draw back of the Android system and a positive for Apple's walled garden.
That IF if where it all falls apart
Google has no interest in working with the manufacturers to help them change the software. They have already done the work, and they have tested the software.its not their problem that Samsung, HTC etc want to add on crap to the software to try to promote their services.

Problem is on an android device, you don't install the google software
So until/if your manufacturer decides to waste resources, changing this google code to fit their models, you might never get access to it. Which is why you still have a lot of android models that are using software that is 2-3 years old
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
Vervain
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
45
Rep
1,976
Posts

 
Drives: Glacier White
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5987508/why-andro...es-are-so-slow

Ok, so the issue appears to be an illusion of sorts than a real disadvantage. If Google didn't launch an update before their partners could do what was necessary to get it running on their phones, there wouldn't be frustration from users about the, update delay from when Google launches it to when they actually get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
It's not an illusion.
If you own any android device other than the google nexus
You can't just install the latest os when it comes out
You have to wait till/if your manufacturer releases it, since all the manufacturers take the basic google code, and add all of their crap onto it.
And in a lot of cases, the latest software version is never released for your phone.
I can install the ios software on any iphone that was released in the last 3 years the day it's released.
September 18th the ios 7 will be launched, you can install it on the iphone 5 and the 3 year old iphone 4S
^^ kmarei is completely correct
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Vervain
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
45
Rep
1,976
Posts

 
Drives: Glacier White
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

5S for sure. My GS4 lags like crazy with it's quad core processor . I'm switching to the 5S when it becomes available. Go for the gold one!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
That IF if where it all falls apart
Google has no interest in working with the manufacturers to help them change the software. They have already done the work, and they have tested the software.its not their problem that Samsung, HTC etc want to add on crap to the software to try to promote their services.

Problem is on an android device, you don't install the google software
So until/if your manufacturer decides to waste resources, changing this google code to fit their models, you might never get access to it. Which is why you still have a lot of android models that are using software that is 2-3 years old
Yeah. It's a huge drawback to Android devices. Why I would buy a phone that has stock Android only on it if I was to switch.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST