E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > best format for sound quality?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
miker2013
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xdrive coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: monkeytown

iTrader: (0)

best format for sound quality?

which is the best format for sound quality in the bmw hifi system? and please dont answer none....

which format gives the best quality playback in the car on the hifi system, is it the hard drive or cd or iphone attached via y cable or iphone attached via apple cable or bluetooth?

i am just starting to add music to my 2013 and want to figure out what is the best way to get the bulk of my collection over to the car

my collection is on cd and itunes... if i am burning cd's for use in or to store in the car, what burn rate should i use? does it matter for sound quality?

i am thinking that the best way would be to move my music over to a flash drive and then use that in the car? any pros/cons?

can only cd's be stored on the hd or can the car also copy other formats?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Richurd
Captain
Richurd's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

iTrader: (6)

Store it on the HD at the highest bitrate.
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
ctuna
Brigadier General
88
Rep
4,991
Posts

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

iTrader: (0)

I can't tell the difference between 320 bit mp3 and wav files.

I can't tell the difference between 320 bit mp3 and wav files.
If you are using a usb that has a lot of room you can put on anything
the car radio will play . You can get about 4 times as many tunes with
320 bit mp3 as wav files.
Some say there is no difference between 256 bit and 320 bit mp3 sound.
If you want to burn mp3 cd's with itunes you first have to make and mp3 version then you end up with two copys of the same file in each version which is kind of messy.
There is a utility called itunesexport that will allow you to burn you existing playlists to usb regardless of there format.

http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

So much easier to use a USB to either play it or get it into the car
than cd's

Last edited by ctuna; 09-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
wilbur_the_goose
Lieutenant
11
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Metro Philly

iTrader: (0)

Can the BMW play FLAC files? If so, that's the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

It can't play FLAC, but it can play WMA Lossless (same quality as FLAC).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
dwells's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,514
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (5)

Lossless is overkill in a car, which isn't exactly a pristine listening environment givne the noise of the car, road noise, wind noise, etc. Anything over V0 preset encoded MP3s is a waste.
__________________
| 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | JB4 G5 ISO | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | Aero lip | CSL trunk spoiler | M3 sideskirts
| Paint-matched grilles | Painted reflectors | GP Thunder II angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Self-coded |
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
wilbur_the_goose
Lieutenant
11
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Metro Philly

iTrader: (0)

^^^
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
E30 Racer
First Lieutenant
E30 Racer's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

+2
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
86
Rep
4,992
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

Any of the digital storage/playback methods should yield the same sound quality (theoretically). As far as format, MP3 at CBR 256kbps and up or VBR V0 and up will be more than enough.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Fooljam
Private
Ireland
3
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 5 series
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Lossless is overkill in a car, which isn't exactly a pristine listening environment givne the noise of the car, road noise, wind noise, etc. Anything over V0 preset encoded MP3s is a waste.
I don't think it is.
If your sound system is average, you won't really be able to tell the difference because the processing is not here that's for sure.

Even with an average JL 600/6 I can tell a good FLAC file has more details to an equivalent tune in 320 MP3. I use lots of FLAC at over 1000kbps and they sound significantly better than my other 320kbps tunes. They feel more lively, instruments and voices are clearly clearer.

As for road noise in my bimmer, does not really affect the clarity of my tunes. I feel like my car is doing a pretty good job at isolating me from outside road noise. Now we can always do better for sure (Damping etc). My sound system and speakers does the rest pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
dwells's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,514
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
I don't think it is.
If your sound system is average, you won't really be able to tell the difference because the processing is not here that's for sure.

Even with an average JL 600/6 I can tell a good FLAC file has more details to an equivalent tune in 320 MP3. I use lots of FLAC at over 1000kbps and they sound significantly better than my other 320kbps tunes. They feel more lively, instruments and voices are clearly clearer.

As for road noise in my bimmer, does not really affect the clarity of my tunes. I feel like my car is doing a pretty good job at isolating me from outside road noise. Now we can always do better for sure (Damping etc). My sound system and speakers does the rest pretty well.
To each their own. It's entirely possible you have very gifted hearing, but I would definitely say that you're an outlier in the data compared to most listeners.

I've got pretty good ears and audio equipment at home (and Logic7 in the car) and even in a controlled listening environment with good audio equipment, it's damn hard to tell V0 apart from FLAC. The difference is almost always minor artifacting here and there, not sound stage, separation, clarity, etc. A large number of audio enthusiasts will agree (check out head-fi, they've done a few small studies), and I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who isn't already knowledgeable on audio compression and encoding won't know the difference.

If you're just sitting in the car and listening, you *may* be able to notice a difference on Logic7 between FLAC and V0. Maybe. But with road noise while driving and a good part of your brain focused on the road rather than wholly devoted to critical listening? I doubt it.


To address the OP more directly:

For your music, you mention it's iTunes - assuming it's all iTunes Plus with no DRM or other copy protection, just throw it on a flash drive and plug it into the car and either play it directly or copy it to the car's hard drive. If it's older purchases back when iTunes had DRM, you're going to need to look into methods for removing the DRM, otherwise the car won't play it. Any other music files you have (MP3s, whatever), copy them as well.

Any music that is already in a compressed format (MP3, iTunes/AAC, WMA) is already "damaged" in terms of quality. Compression loses a bit of detail, and burning it to a CD won't ever fix that. Once it's gone, it's gone. Similarly, burn speed and the like won't affect audio quality. It can help with temperamental blank discs or CD players very rarely (lower speeds can reduce errors), but the actual digital audio data will be the same.

Regarding your CD collection, if you're really concerned about audio quality, I would rip to V0 MP3 (you can Google for guides) and then transfer it to a flash drive and then to the car's hard drive. If you just want good sound and aren't concerned about it being perfect, just rip it with it iTunes set to iTunes Plus quality settings (256kbps VBR AAC). Copy it to the car and it'll play fine and sound nice.
__________________
| 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | JB4 G5 ISO | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | Aero lip | CSL trunk spoiler | M3 sideskirts
| Paint-matched grilles | Painted reflectors | GP Thunder II angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Self-coded |
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Fooljam
Private
Ireland
3
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 5 series
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
To each their own. It's entirely possible you have very gifted hearing, but I would definitely say that you're an outlier in the data compared to most listeners.

I've got pretty good ears and audio equipment at home (and Logic7 in the car) and even in a controlled listening environment with good audio equipment, it's damn hard to tell V0 apart from FLAC. The difference is almost always minor artifacting here and there, not sound stage, separation, clarity, etc. A large number of audio enthusiasts will agree (check out head-fi, they've done a few small studies), and I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who isn't already knowledgeable on audio compression and encoding won't know the difference.

If you're just sitting in the car and listening, you *may* be able to notice a difference on Logic7 between FLAC and V0. Maybe. But with road noise while driving and a good part of your brain focused on the road rather than wholly devoted to critical listening? I doubt it....
You seem to base your opinion on this single post, which really does not really does not do much to demonstrate anything...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584741/mp3-vs-flac-revisited

The difference can clearly be heard with decent equipment, and I am not talking expensive equipment. No need to be a sound professional to tell the difference.

Try these instead, this is a fact that even the highest quality MP3 cuts lots of meat off tunes. This can easily be proven. Even my wife can tell the difference, and she is more interested in shiny shoes and handbags than sound systems.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general...g-mp3s-169993/

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST