E90Post
 


Rohana Wheels
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Mini Cooper is this a scam?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
64-bit
Captain
United_States
22
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: F30 335i RWD EBII PPK - RIP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

Hi all...

Im looking to buy a mini cooper for my daily drive (so I can keep my 335i with low mileage and I don't use it on snow days) and I came across to this great ad but here is they reply to my email:

Me: do you still have the car, tell me more about the title and about the car

Answer:

" I still have my 2007 Mini Cooper S. The car has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, and has not been involved in any accidents. Only 58k miles. Title is clear.
I bought it when i was serving in Langley AFB,VA but i was promoted and transferred to AFB Elmendorf in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, so i do not want to let it ruin in my backyard, therefore i need a fast and reliable buyer.
The car is already at our Military Logistic Department from Langley,AFB ready to go. The shipping will be free for you because i will transport it using the internal logistic department!
The financial part will be managed by Google Wallet, which means that you will have a 7 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
If you agree with my price $7000 and you are interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your: full name and shipping address, so i can inform Google Wallet that i have a buyer! I will forward your details to them and then you will receive an invoice (with no further obligations or fees).
I can set the transaction for only $2500 deposit to Google Wallet and the remaining balance at the end of our transaction.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks"

It does sound like a scam correct?!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
aro541
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw e90 330i 2005
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast

iTrader: (0)

Def scam !!! I saw that before , don't send them any money !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Fortyb
WHO DAT!
Fortyb's Avatar
26
Rep
1,045
Posts

Drives: "07 328I Coupe,"12 Acura Mdx
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wiesbaden Germany/WHO DAT

iTrader: (3)

It's always a SCAM when they say they are in the Military and they could not take there vehicle with them..I'm in the military.
__________________
2007 328CI l 19" AG M359 | 245/35/19f | 275/30/19r | REAR Spoiler |8500 GP| Front reflectors delete | Cyba Intake scoops | BMS PBX | LTBMW M3sides ||Split Leather Armrest | Mod4cars remote | LCI Tail lights | M-Tech Rear M-Tech Front | Valentine V1 Hardwire
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
478
Rep
4,747
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Yeah it's a scam but you can fuck with them and tell them you will be in VA this week and you can come down to Langley to take a look at the car.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Old: Jet Black 2007 E90 (with xenons and modded) 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
shadow191
Major
53
Rep
1,387
Posts

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: GA

iTrader: (3)

Always a scam when they say they're military or overseas for some reason. Then they have a friend/"agent" who will help them out. They just need a deposit. I see in your ad it's Google Wallet, they used to try eBay/Paypal/escrow, and such. Just trying to get bank info or a deposit from you.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
64-bit
Captain
United_States
22
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: F30 335i RWD EBII PPK - RIP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

Thank you all, Not going to bother on reply the email.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
ssedha
First Lieutenant
14
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: 12' 335is; 14' Audi S4 P+
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I always like to have fun with these scammers and get their hopes up!!! It's a fun little exercise
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
459
Rep
21,820
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

Scam Scam Scam

When you deal with craiglist make sure you can visit the car first and talk to a real person.

Any time you get a sob story about why the have to sell the car and the price is stupid low 9/10 it's scam.

Nowadays these people scam so often you can usually google the entire reply and it will come up with others suggesting it's a scam. Either based on the subject or email context.
__________________
|Facebook Coupons||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |AR Design| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB LED / HID| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
400
Rep
4,103
Posts

Drives: cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Definitely reply to the scammer and lead them on a bit!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
84
Rep
2,676
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
If you agree with my price $7000 and you are interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your: full name and shipping address, so i can inform Google Wallet that i have a buyer!
this was all i needed to read to know it was a scam
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
XstheticMotorsports
XstheticMotorsports's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: BMW E60/E82/E90/E92/F10/F30
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 10699 Hickson St Unit 5, El Monte, Ca 91731

iTrader: (4)

Scam for sure! Never purchase anything on craigslist without seeing it in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
xxxjecxxx
Captain
xxxjecxxx's Avatar
89
Rep
930
Posts

Drives: Jet Black 06 325i LCI
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Scam Scam Scam

When you deal with craiglist make sure you can visit the car first and talk to a real person.

Any time you get a sob story about why the have to sell the car and the price is stupid low 9/10 it's scam.

Nowadays these people scam so often you can usually google the entire reply and it will come up with others suggesting it's a scam. Either based on the subject or email context.
10/10
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
AgentAvalos
VIP
AgentAvalos's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
754
Posts

Drives: AW E92 335is
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Compton CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
Hi all...

Im looking to buy a mini cooper for my daily drive (so I can keep my 335i with low mileage and I don't use it on snow days) and I came across to this great ad but here is they reply to my email:

Me: do you still have the car, tell me more about the title and about the car

Answer:

" I still have my 2007 Mini Cooper S. The car has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, and has not been involved in any accidents. Only 58k miles. Title is clear.
I bought it when i was serving in Langley AFB,VA but i was promoted and transferred to AFB Elmendorf in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, so i do not want to let it ruin in my backyard, therefore i need a fast and reliable buyer.
The car is already at our Military Logistic Department from Langley,AFB ready to go. The shipping will be free for you because i will transport it using the internal logistic department!
The financial part will be managed by Google Wallet, which means that you will have a 7 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
If you agree with my price $7000 and you are interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your: full name and shipping address, so i can inform Google Wallet that i have a buyer! I will forward your details to them and then you will receive an invoice (with no further obligations or fees).
I can set the transaction for only $2500 deposit to Google Wallet and the remaining balance at the end of our transaction.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks"

It does sound like a scam correct?!
"seems legit"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
fly335
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

lol damn spammers.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
22
Rep
854
Posts

Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Buffalo NY

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssedha View Post
I always like to have fun with these scammers and get their hopes up!!! It's a fun little exercise
hahaha i do the same thing
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
pcamera123
Private
United_States
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

Replying back to those emails can do more damage that one would think. Majority of these A$$ hole Nigeria scams are just for email information. They want you to reply back so they can sell your email all they need to do is make sure your email is active. The scams to watch out for are craigslist man i was attempting to sell my hood on craigslist. some dude responded to my add and within 20 mins of my response via gmail my amazon password was changed so was Origin and steam. It was crazy fast gave him props for his prompt two service but changed it almost immediately then canceled my credit cards.

Good times... I know a little off subject just bored at work.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
jasonX
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 09 e92 335i 6-Speed
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (5)

OP if you're interested, my friend is looking to sell his 2009 Mini Cooper-S with 46k miles that's CPOd. Located near Northern New Jersey.
__________________
Current:
2009 335i e92

Former:
2008 335xi e92
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
81
Rep
1,953
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
Hi all...

Im looking to buy a mini cooper for my daily drive (so I can keep my 335i with low mileage and I don't use it on snow days) and I came across to this great ad but here is they reply to my email:

Me: do you still have the car, tell me more about the title and about the car

Answer:

" I still have my 2007 Mini Cooper S. The car has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, and has not been involved in any accidents. Only 58k miles. Title is clear.
I bought it when i was serving in Langley AFB,VA but i was promoted and transferred to AFB Elmendorf in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, so i do not want to let it ruin in my backyard, therefore i need a fast and reliable buyer.
The car is already at our Military Logistic Department from Langley,AFB ready to go. The shipping will be free for you because i will transport it using the internal logistic department!
The financial part will be managed by Google Wallet, which means that you will have a 7 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
If you agree with my price $7000 and you are interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your: full name and shipping address, so i can inform Google Wallet that i have a buyer! I will forward your details to them and then you will receive an invoice (with no further obligations or fees).
I can set the transaction for only $2500 deposit to Google Wallet and the remaining balance at the end of our transaction.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks"

It does sound like a scam correct?!
In US we use "Clean" word for Title not Clear
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #19
64-bit
Captain
United_States
22
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: F30 335i RWD EBII PPK - RIP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonX
OP if you're interested, my friend is looking to sell his 2009 Mini Cooper-S with 46k miles that's CPOd. Located near Northern New Jersey.
Hey, how does he wants? Pm his contact pls
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
coolcobramatt
Mystified and Terminated
coolcobramatt's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: 2004 Mystichrome Terminator
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paducah KY

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via Yahoo to coolcobramatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
In US we use "Clean" word for Title not Clear
Not true, depends on where you live. In the Southeast, clear is said quite often.

Regardless, the whole theme of that ad is common and totally a scam. Usually it's their deceased loved one's vehicle, has been sitting in storage for (insert months/years), reminds them of the deceased, can accept _____ form of payment (which is usually something unique), can ship immediately, and they will include a big happy face sticker in thanks (ok I made that one up).

Rule of thumb, ask them for a phone number or to see it in person. That 99.9% of the time shuts them up or the other .1% keep trying to persuade you into sending that money.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
81
Rep
1,953
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
Not true, depends on where you live. In the Southeast, clear is said quite often.

Regardless, the whole theme of that ad is common and totally a scam. Usually it's their deceased loved one's vehicle, has been sitting in storage for (insert months/years), reminds them of the deceased, can accept _____ form of payment (which is usually something unique), can ship immediately, and they will include a big happy face sticker in thanks (ok I made that one up).

Rule of thumb, ask them for a phone number or to see it in person. That 99.9% of the time shuts them up or the other .1% keep trying to persuade you into sending that money.
So the scammer is from Southeast
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
evo335xi
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ct

iTrader: (0)

2 sellers did the same thing to me when I was looking to buy a supra! Same old tired lines from both--one even claimed to be deaf,mute, to make me feel bad and put money through western union. I ripped them a new one!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST