E90Post

Mtrack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > My new toy

04-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
chris330D
Major

Drives: A45 AMG

Garage List
My new toy

I know theres been a lot of debate about fast hatches recently and thought I'd share my new one with you. I looked at the M135i and the Golf R and went for and A45 AMG in the end. Reasons? the BMW was a great car, sounded good but very ordinary and didnt feel that fast. Also its fugly and you'd be explaining what it was all the time to compensate. The Golf? Dealers seem to think you'll buy one without test driving it and 3% is good discount. Also its a Golf and looks like one apart from the back which does look cool. This left me with the A45. Cracking car to drive and effin quick. Took me a long time to get anyone to talk about anything other than list but finally got there and here she is. Pretty much a stabdard car apart from heated seats and the mirror package, oh and the Becker Nav thingy. The pics are after its first wash
Attached Images

chris330D is offline   United Kingdom
      04-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
DanTheManc
E92 335i M sport

Drives: M135i (Ex E92 335i owner)

Very nice. Best colour too imo.

I looked into getting an A45 late last year but the dealers weren't willing to do any kind of deal. I settled for the M135i which worked our 11k less after adding over 3k worth of options.

What kind of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to Pm if preferred. The A45 is still an itch I'd like to scratch at some point.
      04-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Toughtop
Private First Class

Drives: E93 m3

Merc - very nice...

Comments around Golf interesting, few years back was looking to get a new R32 and dealer was of the opinion no test drive required to sell and no movement on list... Nice to see VW have learnt over the years!!! Appreciate they're always in top sellers, but if salesman were prepared to get real would be even better sales for them!!!
      04-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
evoix
First Lieutenant

Drives: blue 335 4 door

pretty cool looking. Very different.
      04-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
chris330D
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheManc
Very nice. Best colour too imo.

I looked into getting an A45 late last year but the dealers weren't willing to do any kind of deal. I settled for the M135i which worked our 11k less after adding over 3k worth of options.

What kind of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to Pm if preferred. The A45 is still an itch I'd like to scratch at some point.
Spread the money over my car and the new one but comes out just under 10%. Had to get two dealers interested and then play one off against the other. The problem is they are selling very quickly and the dealers don't seem to want to move as a result.
      04-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
chris330D
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughtop
Merc - very nice...

Comments around Golf interesting, few years back was looking to get a new R32 and dealer was of the opinion no test drive required to sell and no movement on list... Nice to see VW have learnt over the years!!! Appreciate they're always in top sellers, but if salesman were prepared to get real would be even better sales for them!!!
VW dealer was staggering. Asked for a test drive and was told they didn't have one and couldn't get one unless I bought one!! They then said they had a customer coming in that I could look at but not drive as it was already sold! Sorry I'm not spending that kind of money on a car I've not driven. For example the first A45 I drove had the optional exhaust and suspension and it was just too much for me.
      04-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
DanTheManc
E92 335i M sport

Drives: M135i (Ex E92 335i owner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
Spread the money over my car and the new one but comes out just under 10%. Had to get two dealers interested and then play one off against the other. The problem is they are selling very quickly and the dealers don't seem to want to move as a result.
10% discount is good. They wouldn't even throw in the 550 backbox 8 months ago to do a deal. I was hoping for below 35k at the time so 10% would of made it very tempting.
      04-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #8
dobbo99
Captain

Drives: e46 M3

definitely the better looking of the 3 cars.
whats it like inside space wise?

135 is probably the better value but so ugly and small inside, was really unimpressed.

as you say, the golf is just a golf.
      04-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #9
savgeax
Private

Drives: e92 325d M Sport

I was looking at maybe getting one of these instead of a 1 series. But What Car slated it. Stated that there was no feel to the steering, the ride is harsh and its very loud within the cabin.

I was looking at a A200 diesel AMG Sport, so appreciate its abit different to yours. Can you relate to any of the above?
      04-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
VW dealer was staggering. Asked for a test drive and was told they didn't have one and couldn't get one unless I bought one!! They then said they had a customer coming in that I could look at but not drive as it was already sold! Sorry I'm not spending that kind of money on a car I've not driven. For example the first A45 I drove had the optional exhaust and suspension and it was just too much for me.
VW dealers and buyers are truly one of a kind.

Dealers expect you to buy it without seeing it, VW customers are happy to do so.

Aberdeen sold 20 to people who hadn't even seen it. Every single one a Golf owner.

I was trying to get a shot of one but have given up. They seem to have every excuse not to give a demo.

I've even been asked if I really needed a test drive.

The dealer in Edinburgh has GTI world where only one salesman can sell the GTI and R models.

Six salesmen stood about doing nothing and you have to wait on one guy like you want to buy a bespoke Rolls Royce.

Turned out their demo car wasn't there. The sales manager had it and he was on paternity leave.

Only one guy allowed to sell an in demand car, yet someone else has buggered off with it.

Never in my life seen so many stupid dealers and buyers putting up with the same crap.

The R does seem like a good car, but it has been soundly beaten by the less powerful Cupra R.

I'm still not convinced by what I've read about it. All reports are positive, but I'm still not convinced they are totally impartial as yet.
Kerr is offline   Scotland
      04-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Travelcard ...

Mate picked up a new 135i on the weekend - got 6k of list at a main dealer by showing him the drive the deal price on screen.

Sounded very throaty when he turned it on, not had the chance to go out in it yet tho.

M235i is attracting me at the moment.
      04-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
simmo1985
Private First Class

Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Looks great. Best looking super/hot hatch around in my opinion.
      04-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
chris330D
Major

Garage List
The M135i is undoubtably the best financial choice. The A45 is expensive for what it is. They are holding their value though with second hand ones being no difference to list. There hasn't been a flood of cheap lease deals so hopefully the second hand market stays strong. I really wanted to like the BMW but the looks, it's not a car you walk up to and feel proud. It sounds good but it is part synthesised. VW dealers exact pas Kerr says. Amazing that people will buy a car unseen and without driving it. If you want a Q car then I'm sure it would be a hoot but still looks like a Golf. It's not in the same league as my old C63 but I still smile at the sound of the A45, upshifts are mental particularly
      04-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #14
Kerr
Brigadier General

The pace of the A45AMG must be really impressive.

One was at Crail last weekend doing 12.07@115.1mph.

They are a rare sight on the road. I'd prefer if they made it stand out a bit more as some of the normal models looks the same when specced up.

I'd take the A45 over the Golf with just the price tag being the only negative over the Golf.

The Golf's seats are too cheap looking for me. The Merc's seats are a much nicer place to be.
      04-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Travelcard ...

The golf r can be had for 26k on drive the deal... thats a near 10k saving which does (for me) throw a lot in the golfs favour.

Guess true test is to get behind the wheel of both - tho that sounds tricky in regards the golf.
      04-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
chris330D
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
The pace of the A45AMG must be really impressive.

One was at Crail last weekend doing 12.07@115.1mph.

They are a rare sight on the road. I'd prefer if they made it stand out a bit more as some of the normal models looks the same when specced up.

I'd take the A45 over the Golf with just the price tag being the only negative over the Golf.

The Golf's seats are too cheap looking for me. The Merc's seats are a much nicer place to be.
Speed in and out of corners is brilliant. Its no different to my old C63 TBH in terms of real world speed. The C63 was more instant but the A45 hus much more grip.
      04-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
chris330D
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by savgeax View Post
I was looking at maybe getting one of these instead of a 1 series. But What Car slated it. Stated that there was no feel to the steering, the ride is harsh and its very loud within the cabin.

I was looking at a A200 diesel AMG Sport, so appreciate its abit different to yours. Can you relate to any of the above?
What Car seem to have it in for Mercs in general. their write up on the C class compared to the 3 has a massive difference. I have to say my C350 CDi was as good as my 330d. regarding the A, the AMG has bespoke suspension, steering etc so different from the normal ones and its very good IMHO. Ride is firm but you expect it with this performance. The cabin is quiet, at motorway speeds there is wind noise from the top of the window and a drone from the exhaust. Didnt drive any other A's so cant really say for the A200.
      04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
quattrogmbh
Captain

Drives: BMW

Completely opposite experience for me. Merc dealer where I have bought several cars wouldn't budge against list price on a fully specced A45.
on the other hand, VW dealer where I have also bought several cars gave me 11% discount plus a very strong guaranteed trade in.

I liked the Merc, but at 48K it was too much. The killer for me was the lack of adjustable dampers.

In real world driving these cars are all evenly matched. Even if you can get your mind past Clarksons catastrophic lack of ability in the BMW.
      04-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Kerr
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
Completely opposite experience for me. Merc dealer where I have bought several cars wouldn't budge against list price on a fully specced A45.
on the other hand, VW dealer where I have also bought several cars gave me 11% discount plus a very strong guaranteed trade in.

I liked the Merc, but at 48K it was too much. The killer for me was the lack of adjustable dampers.

In real world driving these cars are all evenly matched. Even if you can get your mind past Clarksons catastrophic lack of ability in the BMW.
48K?
      04-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
chris330D
Major

Garage List
More than £10k more than I paid for mine???
      04-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #21
zltm089
Major General

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Looks very good! and they're damn fast!

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
      04-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #22
stevie996
First Lieutenant

Drives: Mercedes Benz E250 CDI AMG

I have just, in the last 2 months acquired an A250 AMG Engineered by AMG for my wife.

Excellent car, not in the A45 range but it is very quick.
stevie996 is offline   United Kingdom