E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Car insurance renewal advice?

10-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
tom619
Private First Class

Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Car insurance renewal advice?

Hi everyone,

My car insurance is up for renewal but I'm confused about what answers to provide when searching for quotes.

Little backstory. We had 2 cars in the household, both in my dad's name both with me as named drivers. Dad has 20+ years driving experience and has built up plenty of no claims discount and is protected on one of the policies. The other policy was taken out on a new car in 2011 and so he could not transfer his NCB as it was in use on his other car.

Moving on, I had an accident while driving the new car, I hit an immobile object and was the only vehicle involved. Unfortunately the damage was quite severe and ended up being a total loss.

Since then, I purchased my own car and had my dad as a named driver and also declared my accident on my past 2 policies (admiral, axa).

Now when looking for a new insurer, I tried m&s bank who asked if either of us have had any accidents/losses and if either of us have ever had insurance cancelled/void/declined.

When I had my accident as a named driver, the policy was cancelled after they paid out - or am I wrong in defining that as being cancelled?

I guess what I'm asking is, what needs to be declared and in whose name should it be declared under?

Sorry for the essay
      10-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
cupraraj
First Lieutenant

Drives: R6 + 330d E90

Garage List
you should put accident in your name regardless if wasnt your policy, as for the cancellation question thats tricky as cant really understand as an outsider. wouldnt class it as being cancelled or void though.
      10-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
simmo1985
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

If the policy was cancelled by yourself because it was no longer required then no. If it was cancelled by the Insurance company because of non payment, fraud etc etc then yes.

But to be sure ring your insurance.
      10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
tom619
Private First Class

Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo1985 View Post
If the policy was cancelled by yourself because it was no longer required then no. If it was cancelled by the Insurance company because of non payment, fraud etc etc then yes.

But to be sure ring your insurance.
No I believe it was ended by quotemehappy as a result of the total payout?