E90Post
 


Scorpp Design
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > So what do YOU do...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #89
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
 
bob mushroom's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 320d MSport
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: a muddy patch in Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Is there any chance whatsoever, of you being able to set-up a mobile phone/contract group-buy for the UK members, Manish, possibly involving the upcoming iPhone?

Really, I'm being serious!

BTW- welcome to the forum!

Viv
Second this idea - (though I know discounts will be hard to come by on the i-phone)
__________________
Le Mans Blue 320D Blacklines MSport 18"193's /Black Dakota Heated leather/Auto Rain & Light Sensors/Comfort Access/Xenon Lights/6FL USB Port/Bluetooth/Sun Protection Glass/Park Distance Control
bob mushroom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #90
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

I work in Technical Sales for a company called VMware, if you work in IT and haven't heard of us, you will in the next few years.

BoBBoB
BoBBoB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 03:36 AM   #91
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
I work in Technical Sales for a company called VMware, if you work in IT and haven't heard of us, you will in the next few years.

BoBBoB
I just read your companies entry on Wikipedi and I still have no clue what you sell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware



Just when I was beginning to think I understood about IT
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #92
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/

We do something called Virtualization :

In its simplest form we can allow a company to save substantial amounts of money by consolidating many physical servers (or PCs) onto one physical box.

Take a large FTSE100 company they may have 1000+ physical servers stored in a large air conditioned room, there are large costs invloved in owning 1000+ servers and their associated cooling and power requirements. Our software allows a company with a 1000 servers to reduce this amount by 90%, so to say 100 Servers. Everything runs as before but crucially they can now make massive savings on space, cooling, power etc and the guys in IT who are supporting all this equipment now find it easier to do their job.

Another example, you are probably running Windows XP on your PC, what if you decided you wanted to try Linux or Windows Vista or Unbuntu or some other Operating System ? You can install some of our software and we will allow you to run a another operating system on your existing Windows XP machine.

Hope this helps ? The company is probably one of the largest you have never heard of, current Market cap is $40B +

BoBBoB
BoBBoB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 04:21 AM   #93
Serjames
Colonel
 
Serjames's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey - UK

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
vmware shares bought.... why didn't you mention this a week ago !

lol

SJ
__________________
Serjames is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #94
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
shall i buy some#?'
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #95
Serjames
Colonel
 
Serjames's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey - UK

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I am !
__________________
Serjames is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #96
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
I am !
pm me the info?! are they low at da mo?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 05:12 AM   #97
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
vmware shares bought.... why didn't you mention this a week ago !

lol

SJ
Nice one, hope you are still holding them :-)

http://finance.google.com/finance?ch...031&q=NYSE:VMW
BoBBoB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #98
Serjames
Colonel
 
Serjames's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey - UK

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
not bought yet, but first thing monday !!

Look like a good investment.

Shame I didn't spot these weeks ago !

Sj
__________________
Serjames is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #99
Steve A
Brigadier General
 
Steve A's Avatar
 
Drives: too much
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester UK

Posts: 3,464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
Nice one, hope you are still holding them :-)

http://finance.google.com/finance?ch...031&q=NYSE:VMW

Im very cross you didnt tell me about these when they were 60p
__________________
C350 cdi sport estate facelift 457lbft
130i M SportMercedes C350 CDI Sport Estate AutoMini Cooper Auto.Mercedes E250 CGI,Lexus IS-F,R36, RS4 Saloon,ML 420 CDI SPORT,M6, 335d, C55, C32, M3, M5, S3, ALL SOLD but fondly remembered
Steve A is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #100
manish
M-Sport-MAD
 
manish's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d mSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LONDON UK

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
When's the Sony Ericsson K850 coming out??!! And how much would it be offline? (nudge nudge wink wink...?!)
they are out now and available on o2 and tmobile (new contracts and upgrades) but not available offline yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Is there any chance whatsoever, of you being able to set-up a mobile phone/contract group-buy for the UK members, Manish, possibly involving the upcoming iPhone?

Really, I'm being serious!

BTW- welcome to the forum!

Viv
hi vivek,
the iPhone will be available from the 9th of nov... 6pm onwards...
im not sure yet on how they are going to set up for a company or corporate purchase, so no promises yet...
if we were to setup a company lead, for e90post, i would need registration info, etc etc.
and besides, apple are governing the costs this time, regardless of the number of units we purchase from them, unfortunately there are going to be
NO discounts...

but in due course i will get some more info and let you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Second this idea - (though I know discounts will be hard to come by on the i-phone)
sorry mate, there are no discounts whatsoever with this one, we won't be getting any employee discount on this product either.. which sucks...
but to give you all an idea, shh...
its going to be 269, for the handset + 35 and above contract, 18m.
and there is no sort of discount or cashback with this.

an alternative is the new nokia n81, sony w910i and w960i, or the k850i which is quite nice, with semi-touch screen and psp like sub-menu.
its

more details coming soon!


__________________
--------------------
SHE'S HERE!!
BMW 320d M-Sport - Sapphire Black - Lemon Dakota - 18s 193
and an arse whooopping 177hp and 350Nm
great diesel power ///M
manish is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #101
silverbmwz3
Colonel
 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
hey I see some good networking going on here.



Well done guys !

SJ
Bringing some chocolate samples to the next meet sounds like a blinding start
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
silverbmwz3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #102
silverbmwz3
Colonel
 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/

We do something called Virtualization :

In its simplest form we can allow a company to save substantial amounts of money by consolidating many physical servers (or PCs) onto one physical box.

Take a large FTSE100 company they may have 1000+ physical servers stored in a large air conditioned room, there are large costs invloved in owning 1000+ servers and their associated cooling and power requirements. Our software allows a company with a 1000 servers to reduce this amount by 90%, so to say 100 Servers. Everything runs as before but crucially they can now make massive savings on space, cooling, power etc and the guys in IT who are supporting all this equipment now find it easier to do their job.

Another example, you are probably running Windows XP on your PC, what if you decided you wanted to try Linux or Windows Vista or Unbuntu or some other Operating System ? You can install some of our software and we will allow you to run a another operating system on your existing Windows XP machine.

Hope this helps ? The company is probably one of the largest you have never heard of, current Market cap is $40B +

BoBBoB
Can you get me a discount ?
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
silverbmwz3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #103
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Can you get me a discount ?
Yep, depends how much you want ;-) we do have free products as well
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

Also, just to show off a bit, here are some pics of my unlocked iPhone on Vodafone UK



BoBBoB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #104
silverbmwz3
Colonel
 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
How do you get hold of one of those?!
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
silverbmwz3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #105
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Bought it in the Apple store in San Francisco when I was over there for work (actually I bought 3 when I was there and ebayed the other 2), whilst there some clever individuals figured out who to unlock it to any network, so it happily works on Vodafone UK.

Oh and believe the hype, it is a fantastic device, everyone who sees it wants one !!!
BoBBoB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #106
silverbmwz3
Colonel
 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
i want one, so you can buy in US without a contract?
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
silverbmwz3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #107
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Yep, $440 dollars with local sales tax, no contract needed, they were properly pissed off in the Apple Store, within about 20 minutes we bought 30 phones between 7 people !!

The problem you will have if you buy one today is that it will be on Firmware 1.1.1 so you will currently have to purchase a piece of software and go through a fairly complicated unlocking procedure.

But if you are computer savvy then it wouldn't be difficult ....

Hve a look at http://www.modmyiphone.com
BoBBoB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #108
silverbmwz3
Colonel
 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
Yep, $440 dollars with local sales tax, no contract needed, they were properly pissed off in the Apple Store, within about 20 minutes we bought 30 phones between 7 people !!

The problem you will have if you buy one today is that it will be on Firmware 1.1.1 so you will currently have to purchase a piece of software and go through a fairly complicated unlocking procedure.

But if you are computer savvy then it wouldn't be difficult ....

Hve a look at http://www.modmyiphone.com
I just need to make a trip to the US now
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
silverbmwz3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #109
Bumps
Captain
 
Bumps's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 320i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hampshire, UK

Posts: 859
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I work for the same company as Peterg1965, though my 'other car' is a minehunter, rather than a submarine...
Bumps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #110
kingnick
New Member
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: uk

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

can I have discount on the Ipod phone please?!

Talking about what everyone does.. I work for an Investment bank as a stockbroker - but currently taking time out and working for a sales company!
kingnick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST