E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio for iPhone 5 and 5s?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
AustinJerry
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Audio for iPhone 5 and 5s?

I have been enjoying using my iPhone4 in my coupe for several years. I have a Proclips center console mount with a cable that has both a 3.5mm stereo plug that connects to the AUX IN connection, and a USB plug that connects to the lighter power outlet inside the console with a USB/lighter adapter. I use the iPhone as the primary source of music while driving (Pandora, MOG).

I want to upgrade to the iPhone 5c, but my understanding is that the Lightning connector outputs digital audio, not analog audio like the old connector.

For you iPhone 5 users, how are you getting audio to play through the BMW sound system? I believe Apple sells a Lightning to 30-pin converter, does this convert the audio to analog as well? How about holders that work with the Lightning-to-30-pin converter? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by AustinJerry; 09-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
MrPig
Major
MrPig's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
1,205
Posts

 
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [5.00]
I use bluetooth streaming, but it also worked through lightning -> USB port found in my arm rest. My e90 is an '11 though and from my understanding it's a different setup for earlier model years.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

I had a huge issue with impedance with my car, so I came up with a different solution which may also help you.

Use a usb drive (not all work for some reason but below is the setup i bought and it works perfectly). The reason this setup is the best way to go is that you can use your nav or radio display to search your music, instead of looking down at your phone to change songs. The best part of it all no cables.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobile...ndisk+micro+sd

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mobile...icro+sd+reader
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
CoralRed335XI
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ,MD

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.50]
I use the 30-pin to lightning adapter with the OEM ipod cable. Works fine and retains all previous control functionality. BTW try out itunes radio... I like it better than pandora or slacker.
__________________
2008 E92 335XI, Space Gray on Coral Red, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, iPod.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
AustinJerry
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBMW86 View Post
I had a huge issue with impedance with my car, so I came up with a different solution which may also help you.

Use a usb drive (not all work for some reason but below is the setup i bought and it works perfectly). The reason this setup is the best way to go is that you can use your nav or radio display to search your music, instead of looking down at your phone to change songs. The best part of it all no cables.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobile...ndisk+micro+sd

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mobile...icro+sd+reader
I don't see how this would allow access to streaming Internet radio. BTW, what do you mean "impedance issue"?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
AustinJerry
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed335XI View Post
I use the 30-pin to lightning adapter with the OEM ipod cable. Works fine and retains all previous control functionality. BTW try out itunes radio... I like it better than pandora or slacker.
I was hoping this would work. Thanks for confirming. Cable ordered.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
CoralRed335XI
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ,MD

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I was hoping this would work. Thanks for confirming. Cable ordered.
Glad to help
__________________
2008 E92 335XI, Space Gray on Coral Red, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, iPod.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
iturbo_bmw
Captain
iturbo_bmw's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed335XI View Post
I use the 30-pin to lightning adapter with the OEM ipod cable. Works fine and retains all previous control functionality. BTW try out itunes radio... I like it better than pandora or slacker.
+1 just get the adapter. it makes the cord a little longer too if you need to use ur phone
__________________
09 335i e92 n54 | AW on CR | AT w/ Alpina Flash | JB4 G5 ISO w/ e85 BMS flash| BMS DCI | ETS 5" FMIC | VRSF DP | TCK SA Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | M3 CAs | ARC 8 18x9 F 18x9.5R | 255/35 275/35 mich pss |
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don't see how this would allow access to streaming Internet radio. BTW, what do you mean "impedance issue"?
Impedance issue is where static noise comes from the speakers.

I forgot about the streaming music part, yea that would not help for that.

Another reason why I switched to the mirco sd is it will give you surround sound audio, a 3.5mm audio jack only gives you 2.1 instead of the 8.1 (8 speakers 1 sub) with surround sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBMW86 View Post
Impedance issue is where static noise comes from the speakers.

I forgot about the streaming music part, yea that would not help for that.

Another reason why I switched to the mirco sd is it will give you surround sound audio, a 3.5mm audio jack only gives you 2.1 instead of the 8.1 (8 speakers 1 sub) with surround sound.
Wot?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Wot?
You trying to ask an actual question? Not sure how to reply to: wot?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

More a reflection of disbelief of noise caused by impedance issues and that you have true multichannel audio being played in 8.1 from a micro-sd card. *shrugs*
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
EMITTR
First Lieutenant
EMITTR's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US-CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Spoke to BMW about this yesterday. The iPhone 5 is still not supported. The only way if you want to use your iPhone 5 is to use the analog aux. Buy a dual connector and connect it inside your arm rest - if your aux input is there. Outputs to your speaker system by you cannot control it through the car's iDrive.

My OP ED to BMW if they are for some infinitesimal reason, monitoring this forum - "BMW bloody software engineers....you are too slooooooooooooooooooooooooow! If you are going to be one of the first to integrate mobile tech in to your product then at least get off your lazy arses and keep your produce up to date with the tech! - you charge enough for your product - keep it up to date!"

Ok...my rant is over.
__________________
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Pro Direct Fit| Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF Red CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune (FSR Motorsport) | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf Electronic Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Interior Accents | GP Paint Detail
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
AustinJerry
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBMW86 View Post
Impedance issue is where static noise comes from the speakers.
Regarding the static noise, did you adjust the AUX Input level? If it is too high, it over-drives the BMW electronics, which results in distortion. An input level of 2 or 3 is appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Regarding the static noise, did you adjust the AUX Input level? If it is too high, it over-drives the BMW electronics, which results in distortion. An input level of 2 or 3 is appropriate.
Even at level 1 their is noise. The issue deals with the fact that most aux inputs in cars do not have enough power supplied to power the signal. My current Samsung Galaxy S4 has lower RMS current, and due to the limited power of the aux input it picks it up as static. I added an amplifier in between the phone and aux input in the car, and the problem goes away. A lot of people have this issue. I had the same problem when I used my iPhone. This issue was not a problem in my previous car (a Camry with JBL sound system which had a lot more power then the Logic 7 audio system I have now).

My solution was to use a micro sd card with a card reader for my music, that way it displays in my nav screen, and you get dolby digital versus 2.1 from 3.5mm audio cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
jaquarda
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d Renntech ECU Upgrade
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have been enjoying using my iPhone4 in my coupe for several years. I have a Proclips center console mount with a cable that has both a 3.5mm stereo plug that connects to the AUX IN connection, and a USB plug that connects to the lighter power outlet inside the console with a USB/lighter adapter. I use the iPhone as the primary source of music while driving (Pandora, MOG).

I want to upgrade to the iPhone 5c, but my understanding is that the Lightning connector outputs digital audio, not analog audio like the old connector.

For you iPhone 5 users, how are you getting audio to play through the BMW sound system? I believe Apple sells a Lightning to 30-pin converter, does this convert the audio to analog as well? How about holders that work with the Lightning-to-30-pin converter? Thanks for any advice!
I drive a 2011 335d with Connected Drive. I plug in my iPhone 5 to the USB port in the center arm rest using the lightning/usb cable that came with the phone. It works perfectly just like it did when I had an iPhone 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Grimes_MG
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Napa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I can confirm that the lightening-to-30pin adapter sold by Apple for $39.99 allows audio and the iPOD information (album, artist, tract, etc.) to be transmitted from my iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.2 through the Y-cable to my iDrive for my 2006 E93. Mine is pre-Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
techy1
Lieutenant
techy1's Avatar
Trinidad_and_tobago
6
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brampton Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes_MG View Post
I can confirm that the lightening-to-30pin adapter sold by Apple for $39.99 allows audio and the iPOD information (album, artist, tract, etc.) to be transmitted from my iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.2 through the Y-cable to my iDrive for my 2006 E93. Mine is pre-Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP).
+1 on this as well. but What i found its that the bmw y cable and the 30 pin to lighting must be oem in order to work correctly I tried using a china adapter and the car just wouldn't read it.
__________________
[ 2008 328i, 20% Tints, ST Coils, 19's Miro 111, PSS, LED Angel Eyes, Lumens HID Fog lights, Blacklines, matte black Grills ]
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST