E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > cost of living in australia

09-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast

Drives: 2007 335i

cost of living in australia

Hey guys this is pretty BMW off topic but i was reading thru the news the other day and came across an article that stated that minimum wage in Australia is somewhere around $16 and change per hour, me and my wife have been contemplating moving to that beautiful country but before we even discuss it there are a couple of questions i would like to ask some of you guys that live over there;

first off is is true that minimum wage is sooo damn high?
and if so how expensive is the cost of living, rent, food you know basic utilities and such?
how is crime over there specifically around the major cities?
how is your experience living there for nationals and non nationals?

any and all info would help guys, thanks!
      09-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
_ink
Captain

Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport

What job will you be looking at when you do arrive in Australia?

Our cost of living and rent etc is pretty high.

To give you an example, a brand new 335i will cost you $110K and upwards.
      09-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
TS135i
piggy in the mirror

Drives: 2013 135i

Having traveled around the US in recent years and knowing house & car/food prices you will probably return back to the US in disgust. Oh, you will be forgiven if you think you've just landed in China/Hong Kong.
      09-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
PerthBMW
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 325i M Sports Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
Hey guys this is pretty BMW off topic but i was reading thru the news the other day and came across an article that stated that minimum wage in Australia is somewhere around $16 and change per hour, me and my wife have been contemplating moving to that beautiful country but before we even discuss it there are a couple of questions i would like to ask some of you guys that live over there;

and if so how expensive is the cost of living, rent, food you know basic utilities and such?

Hey

Well $16/hr will deliver you an annual salary of some $32,000 PA which will attract about $2,700 in tax delivering you a take home pay of $565/week - remember we do not tip in Australia. Rent would be at least 65% of that leaving you the ability to eat cat food for dinner. I wouldn't be thinking of coming to Australia on the premise of comparing our minium wage to yours as there is no way you could live on $32K and expect to be driving a BMW. You would need to expect a salary a lot higher than that to have a reasonable life that includes a BMW I think....

Sorry there wasn't better news.
PerthBMW is offline   Australia
      09-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
R3N
Private First Class

Drives: None

Depends on profession, also would not recommend Western Australia unless you are in a high paying job, we just graduated to the most expensive city to live in Australia. There are plenty of expat forums around the place comparing costs of living here vs US and Europe.
R3N is offline   Australia
      09-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
sbce90
Me Boosta

Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Come for a holiday, enjoy it, then return home feeling satisfied with your impression of Australia
sbce90 is offline   Australia
      09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
suff
The indecisive one...

Drives: 335i E90 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Come for a holiday, enjoy it, then return home feeling satisfied with your impression of Australia
and buy an M5 for less than we pay for a 335i.. so we can be jealous!

2007 E90 335i - Arctic Silver - Matt Black 19" VMR CSL's - Yokohama Advan AD08 (265R/235F) - aFE Dual Cone Intake - Procede V2 - DBA 4000 XS F+R - EBC GreenStuff (6000) - Quaiffe LSD - Mille Migalia Exhaust
suff is offline   Australia
      09-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: a black car

Read this: http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/ris...426-2ik16.html

Crime, good and bad areas. Guns are pretty much banned here, part of the reason we haven't had a shooting massacre in over 15 years.
      09-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
Brule
Brendan

Drives: 2007 335i e92 6sp man

I dought Australians would work in a fish n chip shop for less than $16 an hour.
      09-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Chris_506

Thank you all who replied to the thread and those who messaged me as well, like I said this is just an idea that we recently started contemplating. We have never been to Australia but have always liked the idea of moving to a country that offers the city feel as well as that outback experience, with the crime rate being so low and the economy being so stable it seems like it would be a perfect fit for us and to make it even more odd at our age (24/23) my wifes parents contemplated eloping to Australia as well…just because.

The article on minimum wage sparked my curiosity on the cost of living but I would not plan on living on such budget nor would I strive for a job that pays at the bottom of the pay scale, assuming that there is not a big market for what I do which is interpreting (Spanish, Portuguese and some Italian) I would resource to the other labor I have most experience with which is marketing.

Like I said this is an idea under construction, however we have narrowed it down to two cities. Melbourne or Sydney and since the cost of vehicles in foreign countries is soooooo damn high we will likely opt to own one vehicle and make use of public transportation (if it is as safe as they say). Bmws will likely be a luxury we can no longer afford but we are willing to give some things up in order to pursue a life we want in a place we can appreciate and can be good as well to one day raise children.
      09-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Dan_335
Private First Class

Drives: e92 335i

Melbourne is the pick for sure, Sydney housing prices are ridiculous at the moment both renting and buying (I live in Sydney, but I have lived in Melbourne)
      09-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
Flames Fan22
Private First Class

Drives: 1BADE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_506 View Post

hey man lived in gold coast for 4 years...honestly its beautiful there its true cars are expensive and the cost of living is high especially cars and alcohol things like fruit and vegetables are cheap and generally grocery isnt expensive. Rent there is decent the same as most large cities..a lux apartment could be 2000 a month...people claim theirs alot of racism but its just like every other large city
      09-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
sbce90
Me Boosta

Many Sydney people I know prefer Melbourne. But I'm yet to meet a Melbourne person who prefers Sydney.
      09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Ninjaoz
Captain

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
I've recently relocated to Melbourne after living in Sydney for 10 years. Melbourne for sure if you are thinking to raise a family...except for the shitty weather!
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
      09-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Chris_506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
I've recently relocated to Melbourne after living in Sydney for 10 years. Melbourne for sure if you are thinking to raise a family...except for the shitty weather!
what is the weather like? and what is like in sydney?
      09-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Fuelrw

Drives: AW320D

Try before you buy. Time to come over for a holiday?
Fuelrw is offline   Australia
      09-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Chris_506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrw View Post
Try before you buy. Time to come over for a holiday?
i been considering switching my January Switzerland trip to come out and checking it out more and more since as of recently we have gotten more serious about moving there.
      09-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Ninjaoz
Captain

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
Quote:
what is the weather like? and what is like in sydney?
Unpredictable weather - we get four seasons in one day.

Sydney is a big city, just like New York, HK and Singapore etc.
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
      09-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
sbce90
Me Boosta

Sydney weather is awesome, doesn't get as cold as in Melbourne and just mild weather in general. But I would hope weather isn't as big of a consideration as say.. house prices or living costs.
      09-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
QLD
Captain

Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
....we have narrowed it down to two cities. Melbourne or Sydney and since the cost of vehicles in foreign countries is soooooo damn high we will likely opt to own one vehicle and make use of public transportation (if it is as safe as they say). Bmws will likely be a luxury we can no longer afford but we are willing to give some things up in order to pursue a life we want in a place we can appreciate and can be good as well to one day raise children.
Have a read here, cost of living in Australia is among the highest anywhere in the world, however having said that, so are our wages.

Use google, theres thousands of articles on the topic.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226677641006

Good read to start you:

http://www.emigratetoaustralia.org/a...australia.html

..sweet torquin' diesel!
      09-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
Peter@Advan
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 335 coupe ADVAN

Looks like someone has read Aftershock, Australia is not a safe haven we will be hit the same as you in the US

Have a look at New Zealand you may be better off in the long term but the weather sucks

I'm no economist just my thoughts for what is worth.

Don't get me wrong my family and I love Sydney, but it is tuff to make a dollar being self employed in this currant economic environment.

The wife and I lived and worked in the US back in 1984/5 those 18 months were fantastic, some times I wish that we had stayed there.

Last edited by Peter@Advan; 09-28-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Peter@Advan is offline   Australia
      09-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #22
naynay
Admiral of the Fleet

Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

Hey man. I'm 24 and im still living at home so i guess i have it pretty sweet. I used to live in the melbourne CBD for about 6 months with a house mate. Rent for us was about 1300 each for the month for a small two bedroom apartment. I was making about 40k back then. Now im sitting on 55k. But if you come here with your partner and got a job in construction. I'd say youll prolly clear 45k easily.

Let me give a break down on my living cost so youd get an idea (not including rent because of asian parents).

Car insurance: $1500 a year with $2000 excess
Phone: $40 unlimited call and text 3 gb data
Petrol: $50 a week
Internet: $80 a month
Food: well just depends on if you eat out or cook at home

But it would be much easier if you move here with a partner. Ive known people that were living in new zealand that moved here and are living happily 40mins from the CBD on about 45k a year. hope that helps.
naynay is offline   Australia