E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMS / *********** open source flash

10-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #45
Sparky68
Colonel

Drives: e90 335i JB4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
Apologies if this is off topic

I have a 6AT transmission car and I applied a gearbox tune from an Alpina b3. This makes your gear shifts fast and close to as fast as a DCT M3

If your car is an auto box and built after 03/07 then you could also flash your transmission control unit TCM.

I have the cable laptop and software to do it and I'm in Milton Keynes if anyone wants this. I can also provide the software download all you need is a DCAN cable and a windows laptop

Your welcome to ride in mine to see what it's like
Do you have the BT Cable and flash files? Would be interested if you do as I work in MK.

JB4 G5 iso - Borla Catback Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and BOV - BMS Intake - Alpina Gearbox Flash - Apex Springs - Koni Shocks -BBS LM Reps Whiteline Rear subframe bushes BMS Meth kit waiting to go on
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
      10-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #46
N111CUK
G force Junkie

Drives: 335i M Sport black edition

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to N111CUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Do you have the BT Cable and flash files? Would be interested if you do as I work in MK.
My post Might be confusing as it's off topic. (Apologies to OP)

I was talking about the gearbox flash by Alpina. This doesn't need the BT cable which is for the open source tunes which are now very popular

My post mentions a DCAN USB cable and BMW software lodged onto a windows laptop. This cable will not work for DME flashes as mentioned in this thread

The Alpina flash just adjusts how the auto gearbox reacts to gear shifts. TQ is increased and shifts are faster more aggressive

I work in Stony Stratford so your welcome to ride in my car to see if you like the gearbox flash

I also have a dual tune, procede + open flash stg1 for a comparison to Jb4 + open flash
N111CUK is offline   United Kingdom
      10-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #47
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: SB Pre-LCI 335i

Quote:
The flash is your original file with adjusted tables so no BMW tech will notice
If you have flash tune which works with DPs, Meth, Induction etc... Obviously if all these mods are removed before going back to a dealer... the flash tune will not operate properly unless you flash it back to stock.

Is that simple enough to do?
      10-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #48
Sparky68
Colonel

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I was talking about the gearbox flash by Alpina. This doesn't need the BT cable which is for the open source tunes which are now very popular

My post mentions a DCAN USB cable and BMW software lodged onto a windows laptop. This cable will not work for DME flashes as mentioned in this thread

The Alpina flash just adjusts how the auto gearbox reacts to gear shifts. TQ is increased and shifts are faster more aggressive

I work in Stony Stratford so your welcome to ride in my car to see if you like the gearbox flash

I also have a dual tune, procede + open flash stg1 for a comparison to Jb4 + open flash
Got you. I have the Alpina flash already, might take idnan's offer up on borrowing his cable.

JB4 G5 iso - Borla Catback Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and BOV - BMS Intake - Alpina Gearbox Flash - Apex Springs - Koni Shocks -BBS LM Reps Whiteline Rear subframe bushes BMS Meth kit waiting to go on
      10-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #49
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i DCT E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68
Quote:

Got you. I have the Alpina flash already, might take idnan's offer up on borrowing his cable.
There is a queue ;-)
omaragha is offline   United Kingdom
      10-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #50
chesney72
First Lieutenant

Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
There is a queue ;-)
LOL yeah its currently in Scotland

Absolute top blokes Idnan and Phil
chesney72 is offline   Scotland
      10-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #51
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesney72
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
There is a queue ;-)
LOL yeah its currently in Scotland

Absolute top blokes Idnan and Phil
Agree - us N54 peeps need to stick together - not many in the UK heavily modded !!
      10-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #52
N111CUK
G force Junkie

Garage List
We should stick together and maybe get together for a social or even a dyno day
      10-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #53
Sparky68
Colonel

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
organising one at the minute, its in the general thread.

10-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #54
SeanCorky
Sparkling Graphite

Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
I've been away for a while but this is great news for the community. This is what i was expecting the openflash tablet to be before he sold out

So this now make it possible to essentially load tuned maps for free?
SeanCorky is offline   United Kingdom
      10-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #55
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Indeed.
      10-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #56
idnan
Major

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCorky View Post
I've been away for a while but this is great news for the community. This is what i was expecting the openflash tablet to be before he sold out
Good to see someone who sees things for what they actually are
idnan is offline   England
      10-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #57
SeanCorky
Sparkling Graphite

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I felt he lead everyone on for a while then all of a sudden it wasn't opensource software & maps with a 25 cable - it was some sort of tablet that cost a few hundred. He had good intentions from the start but someone obviously got his attention by letting him know how much money he could make from it.

Shame you need to buy a BT cable for this and not just a DCAN/K Line cable.
      10-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #58
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Hi All,

Some questions if I may re the BMS backend flash:

Im confused,

Firstly what is the difference between the BMS tweaked flash tool (cant get it to work either btw) and the normal flash tool which does work?

Also I am confused as to what is the .xdf file ? Do I need it ? I have read and have a copy of the original DME file and have saved it. I wanted to write back the pump gas for IJE0S map. Why do I need the .xdf file ?

After doing this I suppose I have to rewrite my hex file through the JB4 tool and select the correct settings to "G5 ISO w/ BMS flash", do I need to re write the hex to the JB4 or just change settings in the interface ?

Sorry for 20 questions but I did the 70min read last night so I am keen to get this flash done now without bricking my car lol

ATB
Omar

Last edited by omaragha; 10-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.
      10-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #59
phil200tdi
Colonel

I used the standard BB interface, not the BMS one.

You just now need to upload the relevant pump gas map. Don't bother with the xps stuff.

Then switch jb4 interface version to "G5 ISO with backend flash" and upgrade to the most recent hex file (27.x). This will ensure the interface version is changed properly.

Do a few logs and send to terry.

Done.
      10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #60
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Cheers Phil - will do mate.
      10-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #61
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha
Cheers Phil - will do mate.
Ok - flash complete. Car seems a lot smoother through the mid range - I assume there is still some adaption left to go through but so far so good - thanks for all your help N54 posse !!!
      10-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #62
phil200tdi
Colonel

Once adapted (3 x 3rd gear pulls) it will up the boost on map 5.

Be interested to see how high the boost goes on the pump map..
      10-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #63
N111CUK
G force Junkie

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCorky
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I felt he lead everyone on for a while then all of a sudden it wasn't opensource software & maps with a 25 cable - it was some sort of tablet that cost a few hundred. He had good intentions from the start but someone obviously got his attention by letting him know how much money he could make from it.

Shame you need to buy a BT cable for this and not just a DCAN/K Line cable.
I see this in a different light and Shiv hasn't really "sold out"

Either solution means you can load pre configured tunes or create your own using a laptop and some free tuning software.

The difference is with BMS you need the BT cable and a laptop and with Vishnu you need OFT and a laptop.

They both give you the same result albeit the OFT is slightly more money and is married to one car at a time.

Don't forget guys these companies need to earn money to keep innovating.

However the OFT is smaller to keep hooked up in the car for data logging and if you only have the OFT and no piggy you can high jack your dash for boost and have live stats on screen etc (can the BMS solution do this)

So OFT is more comparable to COBB and gets the open source title because you have free full access to the tune via tune pro software to tune to your hearts content

Just my 2p worth

Cheers
      10-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #64
phil200tdi
Colonel

Shiv wasn't involved in the initial development. He saw the opportunity and once involved things very quickly moved away from open source..

The BB flash is nothing to do with BMS and doesn't require a JB4. Terry has added his backend flash to the list of maps you can use. A car with no tune can get tuned with no cost associated. I suspect the BT cable was chosen as this has a wide following with many users worldwide and covers all models and ecu's - unlike the cheap cables available. It is also adding to the open source credentials as the developers ain't trying to sell you hardware or profiting in any way. The maps being generated for the bb flash are being developed by the user community - pure open source..

Software which relies on the purchase of a $400 piece of hardware and is locked to one vehicle isn't open source. Lets face it the hardware probably costs less than £30. It is a proprietary piece of software with an API to allow your ecu to be coded with various values. Exactly the same as Cobb - users can play with the maps / protune the car, do logging etc.
      10-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #65
Sparky68
Colonel

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Shiv wasn't involved in the initial development. He saw the opportunity and once involved things very quickly moved away from open source..

The BB flash is nothing to do with BMS and doesn't require a JB4. Terry has added his backend flash to the list of maps you can use. A car with no tune can get tuned with no cost associated. I suspect the BT cable was chosen as this has a wide following with many users worldwide and covers all models and ecu's - unlike the cheap cables available. It is also adding to the open source credentials as the developers ain't trying to sell you hardware or profiting in any way. The maps being generated for the bb flash are being developed by the user community - pure open source..

Software which relies on the purchase of a $400 piece of hardware and is locked to one vehicle isn't open source. Lets face it the hardware probably costs less than £30. It is a proprietary piece of software with an API to allow your ecu to be coded with various values. Exactly the same as Cobb - users can play with the maps / protune the car, do logging etc.
Funny thing was when the guy announced that it would be available as a tablet package he made no mention of price. Shiv answered the post saying "how great this kit will be for $*** " Oooops

10-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #66
SeanCorky
Sparkling Graphite

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post

I totally agree