E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Mechanical issue

10-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92

Mechanical issue

Today, I have received a phone call from my mechanic who performed a pre purchase inspection of my very first BMW. He comment quite a lot and the below is what's on top of my head now, he said:
-Problem with cam cover gasket
-Engine sump gasket leaks
-He found that there is none fault codes (he reckons it is normal to have a few of them but if there is none, it is suspicious...)
-some scratched on both doors, and the dealer said it is normal due to its age...(requested to have further photos from the dealer, and will receive them tomorrow.)
-Missing bolts underneath the front bumper
- weird...he said that the passenger door is not mounted properly, and not closing as smooth as it should be..
-he said to me that the car drives ok, and there is no major issue, but considering the gasket issues as well as the possibility of hiding the fault codes made him in doubt, unless being a 5 years old car is really having none fault code under BMW sensitive onboard computer system.

Now....I am thinking if I should go ahead to purchase the car, and would like to know what exactly is the problem with those things he mentioned, particularly for the gasket issues.....felt like there will be an extensive repair bills waiting for me.....
Or I may consider another one which is few grands more...
Btw, the mechanic is in Vic, Prestige Auto Works.

Any idea will be very much appreciated.
      10-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT

is this for a 325i or A 335i?

Gasket leaks are quite prevalent amongst bmw's unfortunately even if they are maintained... so personally i wouldn't be worried about that.

missing bolts under the front bar, does it have an aftermarket m sport bar (perhaps it did originally and the previous owner had it removed with the oem item put on) once again no big deal

passenger door isnt mounted preoperly, hmm more info required... is there signs or damage/removal?

no codes well if its a 335i it may have had a tune with autoclear function? But yeah generally there are a few codes when you do a scan, but hey i wouldn't call that a dealbreaker having no codes...
      10-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
is this for a 325i or A 335i?

Gasket leaks are quite prevalent amongst bmw's unfortunately even if they are maintained... so personally i wouldn't be worried about that.

missing bolts under the front bar, does it have an aftermarket m sport bar (perhaps it did originally and the previous owner had it removed with the oem item put on) once again no big deal

passenger door isnt mounted preoperly, hmm more info required... is there signs or damage/removal?

no codes well if its a 335i it may have had a tune with autoclear function? But yeah generally there are a few codes when you do a scan, but hey i wouldn't call that a dealbreaker having no codes...
Oh, thanks a lot Dr Jekl
It is a 325i
This is the one:
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...GC-AD-14537796

It comes with m sport pack after I decoded its vin. S, I assume it is OEM bumper. The mechanic did said the bottom of the front bumper is quite badly smashed.
Passenger door - mechanic told me that it is mounted on the car, but the way it closes is a bit strange, and he reckons somebody had taken it off and mounted it back before and had not mounted properly.

The dealer didn't mention anything about the scratches and dents to me when I asked him if there is any accident or damage involved to the vehicle.
I have requested photos for those scratches and dent from the dealer, and he will send to me tomorrow.

I have no idea how is the condition of the car as I am in WA while the car is in Vic. Thinking should I get another mechanic to check it out for further information.....sigh...
      10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Is there anyone who can inspect the car for me please? I don't mind paying a bit for your knowledge in the BMW. Helpppp....
      10-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

Hmm it seems expensive to me for a 325i with those kms.

Also those rims and tyres are rubbish and aren't the stock items (looks like it has chinese rubbish tyres on it)

I reckon scratch it and keep looking, as if the dealer didnt mention it had a dent scratch what else are they hiding???

Would you consider a 335i? or are you on your P's?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=2&sdmvc=1
      10-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Hmm it seems expensive to me for a 325i with those kms.

Also those rims and tyres are rubbish and aren't the stock items (looks like it has chinese rubbish tyres on it)

I reckon scratch it and keep looking, as if the dealer didnt mention it had a dent scratch what else are they hiding???

No, I have got full licence here in WA, but my budget is below $40k....
That's why I have chosen that car, with the m sport package that I want.
I have searched on the Internet, those tyres are Goldway G2003, very cheap tyres. And those are 19" style 67 rims, previous owner took away the m sport 225 rims and mounted those 67 rims on the car........

They are asking for $34000 including shipping to Perth WA.
      10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
No, I have got full licence here in WA, but my budget is below $40k....
That's why I have chosen that car, with the m sport package that I want.
I have searched on the Internet, those tyres are Goldway G2003, very cheap tyres. And those are 19" style 67 rims, previous owner took away the m sport 225 rims and mounted those 67 rims on the car........

They are asking for $34000 including shipping to Perth WA.
Hmm i say keep looking, as it will cost you another $1K to get proper rims and tyres that again in gasket leak repairs....
      10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
CYL
Second Lieutenant

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=2&sdmvc=1[/quote]

Have seen that car, but that is 2006 model, non m sport, and model earlier than 2008 seems to have hpfp issues which is expensive to replace if I am not wrong.
Felt like 335i in 2006-7 are not a good choice....
And I prefer black in colour too where possible...
      10-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Hmm i say keep looking, as it will cost you another $1K to get proper rims and tyres that again in gasket leak repairs....
Yes, prepared to get 225 rims, even with my another choice $40+, that doesn't come with 225 rims too, so, I still have to buy it elsewhere.
The cam gasket leak only costs about $1k to fix? The mechanic told me that would cost a huge amount, few k, to rectify.....same for the engine sump leak...

Btw, how expensive it is for me to rectify those scratches and dents? I think painting for bmw special colour could be $$$$$ than normal painting job for Japanese cars.
      10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

If you want another vehicle inspection get jin at active autowerke to do the inspection.

I must admit I'm not a 325i expert but i cant see why it would cost $2k to do he gasket change (the sump gasket should be way less than $1K!)

hard to give you a quote to repair the dents and scratches though without seeing it. From what i have noticed bmw's have a shitload of clear on them hence why they have that orange peel effect, but this helps against oxidisation/wear of the paint.
      10-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

i get you only have $40k but you could buy this 335i, ship it to WA then install new rims and a m sport rep kit with fresh paint for less than $40k.

10-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
If you want another vehicle inspection get jin at active autowerke to do the inspection.

I must admit I'm not a 325i expert but i cant see why it would cost $2k to do he gasket change (the sump gasket should be way less than $1K!)

hard to give you a quote to repair the dents and scratches though without seeing it. From what i have noticed bmw's have a shitload of clear on them hence why they have that orange peel effect, but this helps against oxidisation/wear of the paint.
Do you have his direct contact? Or is he a member here? Would like to let him know about the situation and see if he could offer an inspection for me.

Orange peel effect? You mean on the car that I am going to buy?
      10-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

http://activemotorwerke.com.au/

his username is Jin.ActiveMotorwerke

http://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=158386

Orange peel is prevalent on all bmw's. When you look at them closely on a glossy car you will see a fine ripple efect like a orange skin. This is because of the thickness of the clearcoat.
      10-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
http://activemotorwerke.com.au/

his username is Jin.ActiveMotorwerke

http://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=158386

Orange peel is prevalent on all bmw's. When you look at them closely on a glossy car you will see a fine ripple efect like a orange skin. This is because of the thickness of the clearcoat.
Thanks, I have searched him already and sent him a message. Hopefully he will get back to me at his earliest convenience.
      10-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
i get you only have $40k but you could buy this 335i, ship it to WA then install new rims and a m sport rep kit with fresh paint for less than $40k.

But what about water pump and hpfp? I heard that is a common faulty items in earlier 335i.
And possibly a new turbo as it has driven 120k+ km already.
So, thinking if it is economical, and maybe if I have to spend $40k, go for a less driven 325i but not the one that I have just carried out inspection.
      10-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
kaitan
Major

Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking

What about this?
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=6&sdmvc=1 Unfortunately no M-sport but looks good

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Check out Facebook: TLCC @ Pymble.
      10-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Thanks Kaitan!
But I am looking at this if it is close to $40k
They offered me a good price including shipping to WA.
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...GC-AD-14277996

And unfortunately I couldn't go with private as I am going through finance, so, finance = no private sales for my case.
      10-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E46 330i

PM'ed you.
      10-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
Peter@Advan
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 335 coupe ADVAN

Trying to find a good quality BMW is one thing but trying to find a mint one is all most impossible.
Owners in general lease there cars so why would they care as you just swap it for a new one at the end of the lease.
Sorry that's Just how it is, KEEP LOOKING there is one out there it could take 3 months or 3 days to find what you want, just don't purchase a DOG it will keep you broke.
Get a 335 or you will get bored quickly
Peter@Advan is offline   Australia
      10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
ZiggyJJ

Drives: E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Thanks Kaitan!
But I am looking at this if it is close to $40k
They offered me a good price including shipping to WA.
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...GC-AD-14277996

And unfortunately I couldn't go with private as I am going through finance, so, finance = no private sales for my case.
That looks like a much better buy CYL. Out of interest what did they quote for transport to WA?

I just bought a 08 335 Msport from QLD - can't wait for it to get here!

Also for the Perth folks - which indie mechanics are you guys using/recommend?
ZiggyJJ is offline   Australia
      10-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #21
CYL
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
That looks like a much better buy CYL. Out of interest what did they quote for transport to WA?

I just bought a 08 335 Msport from QLD - can't wait for it to get here!

Also for the Perth folks - which indie mechanics are you guys using/recommend?
I wish i could buy a 335i too, but couldnt get a decent one with my low budget...poor me.

The deal they offered is $42500 including shipping to WA. Sadly though the car doesnt come with Comfort Access which the previous one does. And STILL no proper 19" 225 rims...

i am also thinking of buying a cheaper one like this:
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=1&sdmvc=1
and convert it to M sport look with a paint job to get it sapphire black in colour, not sure how much will it cost, have asked Stu regarding the parts.
      10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #22
bmshez
Private

Drives: BMW 325i Coupe M Sport (E92)

CYL - I looked at this 335i when I was in the market (got a 325i M Sport in the end) and I've just realised that it's still on sale (no idea why, it's been there for more than a month now):

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...g_4=PriceAlert

The colour looks much better in person. The car drove well and seemed in relatively good nick although there was some peeling of the plastics inside. However, the dealer is willing to get it repaired at their cost. Furthermore, they had fixed the wheels for curb rash so the rims are in perfect condition.

The dealer/salesmen seemed like good blokes and I know for a fact that they are pretty flexible on price so you should be able to negotiate down quite readily. They also provide some decent extended warranty options and are open for you to get a pre-purchase inspection.
bmshez is offline   Australia