E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2011 335i... needs oil the first night



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

2011 335i... needs oil the first night

Hi All,

Bought a CPO 2011 335i. Took possession last night. After driving less than 30 miles, the "!" notice came up. A few miles later smoke started coming out the tail pipes.

Pull over, turn off the car. I look through the computer to find... it's almost out of oil! Legit below the Min level.

Not that this is difficult to remedy, but it's obviously unacceptable that a 'new' car should need oil the first night. I called the dealership (who at this point shall remain nameless) and was not offered satisfactory compensation apart from 'bring it in in a week or so and we'll look at it.'

Is there something I should be doing in this situation or is this just a little 'welcome to the BMW family' gift?
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,730
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
Hi All,

Bought a CPO 2011 335i. Took possession last night. After driving less than 30 miles, the "!" notice came up. A few miles later smoke started coming out the tail pipes.

Pull over, turn off the car. I look through the computer to find... it's almost out of oil! Legit below the Min level.

Not that this is difficult to remedy, but it's obviously unacceptable that a 'new' car should need oil the first night. I called the dealership (who at this point shall remain nameless) and was not offered satisfactory compensation apart from 'bring it in in a week or so and we'll look at it.'

Is there something I should be doing in this situation or is this just a little 'welcome to the BMW family' gift?
Turbo cars will burn oil which is why you should change your oil every 5-6k miles. Most likely the oil was not changed in that car in almost a year and the dealership never topped it off when they sold it to you. Go back and tell them to do a full oil change.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Turbo cars will burn oil which is why you should change your oil every 5-6k miles. Most likely the oil was not changed in that car in almost a year and the dealership never topped it off when they sold it to you. Go back and tell them to do a full oil change.
Ok, that's what I was thinking. I can't believe the salesman shied away from that option when I mentioned it. I'll be sure to stand strong. Thanks
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
StealYourFace
Major
 
Drives: 2006 330i sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY

Posts: 1,145
iTrader: (1)

I cannot believe changing the oil is not part of a cpo delivery. I'd call bmw na if the dealer was so flip about the issue, since it was indeed a cpo car.
__________________
330i ~ BMW Perf. Susp. ~ M3 Front susp ~ BMW Perf Exhaust ~ 3.38 lsd ~ SF71 Alf CSL reps ~ Pilot Super Sports ~ AA Tune ~ 335is front brakes ~ over 150,000 miles hardly broken in! WTB: e93 M3 Front Sway Bar
StealYourFace is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Ghiurau27
Private
 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

If smoke came out the tail pipes then something happened already. A turbo burns oil very slowly but when it smokes, then its burning more than normal. Sounds like you have bad turbos which is why it burned so much oil
Ghiurau27 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,730
iTrader: (1)

Regardless you are covered, take it back and have them fix it. It should not be smoking or burning a quart of oil every 500 miles.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Lieutenant
 
Wolf 335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

Posts: 505
iTrader: (0)

Are you the second owner or third?

Reason I ask is because if the car was already sold once as CPO series, and now it for sale again by bmw...well they dont do the whole CPO 360 inspection. Their reasoning is, well since it was once a certified series it gives them the right to retain that title for that car. Yes i know its rediculous. I had a lengthy chat with bmw in regards to this.

Thankfully you have warranty and thats how they see it. Basic safety inspection is performed and thats it.

In regards to the oil burning, every time i have used bmw oil i have had to top up regardles turbo or not. Using another brand required absolutely no top ups.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 10-09-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Wolf 335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,730
iTrader: (1)

And what the fuck is "sometime next week"? Your car is dropping smoke like Spy Hunter and the dealer wants to take his sweet ass time about it. Dude just go down there tomorrow AM and raise hell. You paid good money and obviously they didn't do their job. I'd be like "this is your problem, fix it right fucking now, or give me back my money".

BTW how many miles on the car?
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiurau27 View Post
If smoke came out the tail pipes then something happened already. A turbo burns oil very slowly but when it smokes, then its burning more than normal. Sounds like you have bad turbos which is why it burned so much oil
Wow, didn't even think of that. Ya, I got the manager on the line. They're taking the car in to look at it.
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Are you the second owner or third?

Reason I ask is because if the car was already sold once as CPO series, and now it for sale again by bmw...well they dont do the whole CPO 360 inspection. Their reasoning is, well since it was once a certified series it gives them the right to retain that title for that car. Yes i know its rediculous. I had a lenghty chat with bmw in regards to this.

Thankfully you have warranty and thats how they see it. Basic safety inspection is performed and thats it.

In regards to the oil burning, every time i have used bmw oil i have had to top up regardles turbo or not. Using another brand required absolutely no top ups.
I am the second owner.
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
And what the fuck is "sometime next week"? Your car is dropping smoke like Spy Hunter and the dealer wants to take his sweet ass time about it. Dude just go down there tomorrow AM and raise hell. You paid good money and obviously they didn't do their job. I'd be like "this is your problem, fix it right fucking now, or give me back my money".

BTW how many miles on the car?
Ya, it's total bull. The car has 43,000. I told him if he didn't take care of this, my next step was to contact BMW NA.
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,730
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
Ya, it's total bull. The car has 43,000. I told him if he didn't take care of this, my next step was to contact BMW NA.
Seriously go in there with an open mind and be polite but be ready to raise hell and don't take any shit from them.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quick update

The dealer is coming to my office to pick up the car, leave and loaner, and take it to service... which is fine and dandy... shouldn't have to happen in under 3 days of ownership, but hey. It's a complex machine.

After browsing the forum my main concern is that the turbo seal may be starting to go? Between the burning oil and intermittent tail pipe smoke.... idk

I assume these are things the service center will know to look for.
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
romanonj
Captain
 
romanonj's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 and 335is w/DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey, Ocean County

Posts: 779
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
The dealer is coming to my office to pick up the car, leave and loaner, and take it to service... which is fine and dandy... shouldn't have to happen in under 3 days of ownership, but hey. It's a complex machine.

After browsing the forum my main concern is that the turbo seal may be starting to go? Between the burning oil and intermittent tail pipe smoke.... idk

I assume these are things the service center will know to look for.
Depending on the service center.. Man sometimes it amazes me how difficult certain service advisors are.. Hope everything works out though..
__________________
2014 F25 X3 M-Sport Carbon Black, Technology/Premium/Winter/Driver Assistance
2011 e92 335is DCT - Cobb, ETS IC, AFE DCI, BMW PS kit, M3 control arms, various cosmetic improvements RETIRED!
2007 X3 RETIRED!
2006 e90 330i 132k miles RETIRED!
romanonj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

So to anyone following this process... got a call from the dealer this morning. He said that they replaced the VANOS. I had to look it up to see what he was talking about, and it appears that could certainly explain the smoke.

Does anyone think that could have effected the oil consumption, as well?
Is there anything that is normally changed when the VANOS is cleaned/changed?

Either way, looking forward to taking back possession of my new car... hopefully for more than a day this time!

Thanks to everyone for their support.
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Wolf 335
Lieutenant
 
Wolf 335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

Posts: 505
iTrader: (0)

Glad you resolved the issue. Enjoy the ride now.
Wolf 335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Aaaaand it's a lemon

Today was my first official day with the car back. It was dropped off at my office. I took it out to lunch, taking it very easy the whole time... it seemed ok.

Driving home (less than 8 miles)... my oil light comes on. 2 mins later smoke starts coming out the exhaust. Luckily I was very close to home, and pull in my lot shortly after. I check the oil level... below minimum.

This is concerning because:
a) I put a quart in last week (less than 75 miles ago)
b) it just left the %$#ing dealership... where they said they fixed the problem


I take this to mean the car is F'd. I've lost total faith in CPO and BMW.
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
zapd0s
New Member
 
Drives: '10 E92 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MA, USA

Posts: 14
iTrader: (2)

Holy crap, sorry to hear about this. I wouldn't totally lose faith in the product, I'd lose faith in that dealer. Are there any more in the area? I mean, the car's warrantied so any BMW service should be able to help, right?
zapd0s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Certainly sounds like turbo seals. Does it only start to smoke when hot? Tell the dealer to have the wrench drive the car for a while if he doesn't believe you. I'd give them another crack at it but make clear to them that you expect it to come back fixed as you just paid good money for a car and haven't got to enjoy it yet.

May be a blessing in disguise if it is turbo seals, you get a new turbo on a used car
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
nynyny
Private
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Certainly sounds like turbo seals. Does it only start to smoke when hot? Tell the dealer to have the wrench drive the car for a while if he doesn't believe you. I'd give them another crack at it but make clear to them that you expect it to come back fixed as you just paid good money for a car and haven't got to enjoy it yet.

May be a blessing in disguise if it is turbo seals, you get a new turbo on a used car

Oddly enough... I just got off the phone with the service tech who said
"Well, it looks like you were right. We used a scope and believe the turbo has hairline fractures... we'll be putting in a request to replace it"

So this brings up the question, wtf they did when they first had the car (looks like nothing...) AND is it worth it to keep trying to get this right?


... I'm a better BMW tech than the BMW tech?
nynyny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
The guy probably looked at the car cold; if the turbo housing is actually cracked it probably only starts to leak when it heats up and the metal expands. Understandable, but frustrating that a brand that is trying to market itself as "Premium" has techs who do not thoroughly test drive vehicles after repairs :/

You probably had a VANOS code before and that's why they started there... I'm guessing. I don't know, I wasn't there.

The good news is the explanations you're being given sound reasonable to me, I've heard some explanations from SAs that just trip my BS meter and those make me stabby.
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Oh, 'nother thing. At 43K miles get ready to replace spark plugs (50K) might see if you can sweet talk dealer into throwing that into turbo replacement work? Or you could just DIY, it's not that hard, but you will need a special socket (I'm assuming; you need it for N54 and I believe N55 uses similar heads/plugs)
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST