E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Humming sound from engine bay at idle, video included



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
erliban
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Humming sound from engine bay at idle, video included

Sometimes I hear this constant humming sound coming from the engine bay, can't identify where it is coming from, anyone has heard this before?


I think I have heard it before I installed JB4 but seems to happen more often after the tune.

Edit: I did more research, seems this could be from the ECU box fan, other people have reported this too. Probably the engine generates more heat after the tune and will set off the fan more frequently.


Last edited by erliban; 10-08-2013 at 10:10 PM.
erliban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
erliban
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Same car at a different time WITHOUT the humming:

erliban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
When we went to go check out a 535i to buy at Center BMW I was asking the dealer what that humming noise was, he told me it was a secondary fan that cools down the firewall or whatever around it. I mean it makes sense, but Center BMW are iffy so they could be BSing, and it makes more sense that it occurs more often after your JB4 install since its running harder so it gets hotter. If its something wrong I don't really care since its warrantied until 100,000 miles for me. I can't remember if it was the same exact noise but I definitely remember it being a humming noise.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Weasel410
Private
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

I have the same thing. I talked to my SA about it and showed him the video and he said its normal. I believe it's one of the radiator fans.[u2b]http://youtu.be/LW_HdHQALS8[/u2b]
Weasel410 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
erliban
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
When we went to go check out a 535i to buy at Center BMW I was asking the dealer what that humming noise was, he told me it was a secondary fan that cools down the firewall or whatever around it. I mean it makes sense, but Center BMW are iffy so they could be BSing, and it makes more sense that it occurs more often after your JB4 install since its running harder so it gets hotter. If its something wrong I don't really care since its warrantied until 100,000 miles for me. I can't remember if it was the same exact noise but I definitely remember it being a humming noise.
This actually makes sense, I tracked the source of the sound and believe it came behind the engine, between the engine and the firewall. However I can't visually see any fan there, probably covered by some plastic. Hope that's all it is.
erliban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Josh5442
Enlisted Member
 
Josh5442's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

If you close the hood can you hear it coming through the grill? Sounds very very similar to the problem I was having.
Josh5442 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
erliban
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh5442 View Post
If you close the hood can you hear it coming through the grill? Sounds very very similar to the problem I was having.
I can hear it even sitting in the driver seat (hood closed), I'm sure I can hear it through the grill.

Did you find the source/cause?
erliban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
erliban
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel410 View Post
I have the same thing. I talked to my SA about it and showed him the video and he said its normal. I believe it's one of the radiator fans.[u2b]http://youtu.be/LW_HdHQALS8[/u2b]

Yes that video sounded exactly like mine, hope it's a secondary fan, it is hot around that area.
erliban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Weasel410
Private
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

I took a light to my engine bay when I got home today and its definitely not the radiator fan. I get this sound about 10 min after starting and it stays on till I turn the car off. If I restart right away the sound does not start up.
Weasel410 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
erliban
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel410 View Post
I took a light to my engine bay when I got home today and its definitely not the radiator fan. I get this sound about 10 min after starting and it stays on till I turn the car off. If I restart right away the sound does not start up.
See my original post for my edit, I believe it is the ECU box fan, google ecu box fan noise you'll see more people complaining about it.

Mine definitely happen more often (almost every time) after JB4 stage2. Weather is not that hot (~70's), I'm a little worried actually, not about the fan itself, but why JB4 will make it happen so much more frequently, even if I don't drive hard.
erliban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Weasel410
Private
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Mine happens nearly every time I drive and I don't have a JB4.

What I don't understand is why the N55 would have an ECU box fan when the ECU is in the intake manifold. All the box has are wires, relays, and fuses.
Weasel410 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST