E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > X-Drive in Chicago... a must?

10-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 AW

X-Drive in Chicago... a must?

I want to get a new car choosing based on the fact I will be moving to Chicago for 1-2 years. I would love to just get a RWD and put snow tires, but I wonder if getting an X-Drive would be a smarter choice.

Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: for enjoyment

Lots of people have RWD up here and do just fine with snow tires; you should be fine in Chicago
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
trohde78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

There might be serious snow 6-8 times per year, and the plows and salt have that under control within a few hours. I drove a G8 with all season tires for the last 2 winters and never had much trouble. Snow tires should make a big difference though.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

I had my e90 330i for 8 years and the winters have been shitty to great. In regards to that my winter setup has been amazing in little to now snow to heavy I mean 12 inches on snow. I drove in that 4 feet blizzard and when it got to about 1 to 2 feet I was fine. I run 18" winter sport m3 tires.

You DO NOT need X drive in Chicago. Most of the time it does not snow. Put sand bags in the rear and your good. I actually put one of my style 95s in the trunk for weight and spare reasons just for winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Flames Fan22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 1BADE90

Ya I think you should go with awd...sure chicago is no Canadian prairies but awd gives you a lot more confidence as well as when a winter storm strikes you won't be stuck on the bottom of a hill...trust me the safety is worth it
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan22 View Post
Ya I think you should go with awd...sure chicago is no Canadian prairies but awd gives you a lot more confidence as well as when a winter storm strikes you won't be stuck on the bottom of a hill...trust me the safety is worth it
The safety maybe worth it but its very doable with a winter setup. I driven my buddies cars with all seasons and awd in the snow and its horrid. BRAKING no matter what you got AWD OR RWD is the same tires mean the most.

The average Joe is not going to buy winters for his awd and that being said I would strongly go against X drive. Yeah its so much comfort but nothing like running 285s in the rear and fish tailing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Flames Fan22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 1BADE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan22 View Post
The safety maybe worth it but its very doable with a winter setup. I driven my buddies cars with all seasons and awd in the snow and its horrid. BRAKING no matter what you got AWD OR RWD is the same tires mean the most.

The average Joe is not going to buy winters for his awd and that being said I would strongly go against X drive. Yeah its so much comfort but nothing like running 285s in the rear and fish tailing.
Hahah true...but in canada especially near the mountains where I live awd plus great winter tires are needed. its hard enough driving an awd car can't imagine rwd..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
buylongterm
Private
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW 335XI M package

I have owned many sport cars. One thing I learned was AWD is a life saver and I won't buy any RWD cars anymore living in Chicago. I have spun out way to many times on the HWY. I remember a couple of years ago, I left work early to try and beat a snow storm. Thank God I had a AWD car. (530xi) It took me over 2 hours to get from the city to the junction and over 4 hours to get home to the northern burbs. If I didn't have an AWD car, I would never EVER made it home. RWD cars were all stranded on the highway.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post
I have owned many sport cars. One thing I learned was AWD is a life saver and I won't buy any RWD cars anymore living in Chicago. I have spun out way to many times on the HWY. I remember a couple of years ago, I left work early to try and beat a snow storm. Thank God I had a AWD car. (530xi) It took me over 2 hours to get from the city to the junction and over 4 hours to get home to the northern burbs. If I didn't have an AWD car, I would never EVER made it home. RWD cars were all stranded on the highway.
Tires are one of the most crucial things on your car. It can be life and death and it's the only thing that matters when it comes to winter. We can go back and forth but for decades people have been driving RWD in the winters. You know this car is made in Germany right...TONS of snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post
Statements like this are rather amusing, just remember all those happy RWD cars on snow tires stopping and turning safely you are sliding around on the snow with AWD powering balding all season tires this winter

Sure if you have to repeatedly climb up steep grades in the snow then AWD + snow tires is helpful. If you live in a flat place with moderate winters snow tires on RWD will suit you just fine.

To summarize:

Snow tires = braking, turning and anything else related to safety
AWD = getting up a hill or starting faster from a dead stop
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Statements like this are rather amusing, just remember all those happy RWD cars on snow tires stopping and turning safely you are sliding around on the snow with AWD powering balding all season tires this winter

Sure if you have to repeatedly climb up steep grades in the snow then AWD + snow tires is helpful. If you live in a flat place with moderate winters snow tires on RWD will suit you just fine.

To summarize:

Snow tires = braking, turning and anything else related to safety
AWD = getting up a hill or starting faster from a dead stop

Ditto and having a 6MT helps as well and when you find a parking lot its even better.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
AGM5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E39 M5

Garage List
Just buy the car you will be happy with for the other 340 days of the year when it isn't dumping snow like a ski resort. Buy a set of winter tyres (4) and some cheap wheels. If you are not used to driving in snow, learn in an empty parking lot what your car feels like when everything goes sideways, and learn how to correct for it. My friend's DD (only car) is an e93. She runs Blizzaks on 17" alloys afor the winter and doesn't have any issues even in Detroit 9where the snow plows were all stolen. And I even, best be sitting down for this bit, drive my M5 in the winter (first winter on summer tyres) now on 17" Blizzaks.

BTW: Detroit winters aren't much different than Chicago (except for the wind, you Chi'towners can keep that).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
I used to think the same thing, but AWD is only necessary (imo) if you use All-Seasons in the Winter. RWD with good snow tires works very well in Chicago. I'm on my 4th BMW and used to own a 328 xi. I even used snow tires on my torquey 135 and had no problems in the winter. GL with your decision.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
srezzo
Private
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi

I went with AWD thinking it would be awesome in the winter (I've had RWD, FWD and now xi BMW). I kept the all seasons that came with the car (I bought used). It was disappointing in the snow. I plan to put snows on this year. If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a RWD and just get a set of winter wheels with snow tires. One of the best cars in the snow that I owned was an 86 535i with RWD. The back end would get loose quite a bit in the snow, but it was very predictable and very easy to correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [4.25]
I have a 135i 6MT and i have snow tires. When i first got the car I didnt have snow tires yet and it was when we had a big snow storm about 4 years ago (not the one where cars were stranded on Lake Shore Drive). It was awful without snow tires. I was late to work because I couldn't get my car up a the "hill" into the parking lot of the train station....needless to say, as soon as I got to work that day I ordered snow tires.

It's night and day. Last winter I drove my mom's Lexus ES that has all wheel drive and I've driven my girlfriend's Corolla that has FWD and both were horrible in the snow. My RWD on snow tires was 100 better than their AWD and FWD.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
sirdaft1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
IMHO I prefer having AWD in Chicago for more than just the winters. It has been a lifesaver for me in the wet- which the roads tends to be considerably more often than icy/snowy here in Chicago.

I've driven 2wd vehicles (both fwd and rwd) and no matter the tires, I have never had the confidence of pulling out into traffic in wet conditions quite like I get in AWD. AWD makes rain a non-issue.

That said, the wrong tires on an AWD car in the snow can make the car considerably more dangerous than RWD. Summer tires on RWD in snow = car wont move. Summer tires on AWD in snow = car that slides sideways directly into ditch.

If you get AWD, use All Season tires or have a summer/winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
AGM5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E39 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
IMHO I prefer having AWD in Chicago for more than just the winters. It has been a lifesaver for me in the wet- which the roads tends to be considerably more often than icy/snowy here in Chicago.

I've driven 2wd vehicles (both fwd and rwd) and no matter the tires, I have never had the confidence of pulling out into traffic in wet conditions quite like I get in AWD. AWD makes rain a non-issue.

That said, the wrong tires on an AWD car in the snow can make the car considerably more dangerous than RWD. Summer tires on RWD in snow = car wont move. Summer tires on AWD in snow = car that slides sideways directly into ditch.

If you get AWD, use All Season tires or have a summer/winter setup.
Though I agree with most of this, I do take exception to "Summer tires on RWD in snow = car won't move" This is just silly. I have driven my M5 and my z28 (no traction control other than throttle and clutch modulation) both of which have significantly more power and and torque than an 328i in blizzards, and normal snow without issue. That said the most important thing to have is good tyres. A good set of summer tyres will perform better in the snow than crappy knackered-out all-season or even winter tyres. For winter get a set of really good winter tyres for the peace of mind and confidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
asus389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 E90 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I drive a RWD e90 with snow tires in Michigan if that helps you. Its totally doable if you have good tires. It frees me up to put summer performance tires on my other set of wheels.
Appreciate 0