E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Any schools or clubs doing track days at Circuit of the Americas

10-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
JarekSanto
Private
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92

Any schools or clubs doing track days at Circuit of the Americas

I am in Seattle and would love to drive the track. Looking for a club or school do it with.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Still very much up in the air. They allowed 4 HPDE groups to run last year, and even that was after a rollercoaster ride. So here's the full story:

Back when CotA first opened, they initially said they would allow HPDE groups to host events and booked a few organizations. Then right before Christmas 2012 they contacted all of those organizations (including those who had already submitted deposits and signed contracts) and told them that they'd changed their mind and wanted to host events for pros and automakers. Then a few days after that they called those people AGAIN and said they were going to allow those events to run after all.

So now we're in early 2013. The Driver's Edge (awesome group that a lot of forum members in this area run with) went first and the event went flawlessly because that group always has their s**t together and runs like clockwork every time. CotA management was thrilled. Then MVP had their event. It was a total disaster. Lots of cars in walls, one spilled so much oil in the pits that it required 30 bags of Oil-Dri to fix, and it was later discovered that the organizer spent more time driving the track than running the event. So they reverted back to the "We're not sure we want to do this anymore" stance. They did however allow the remaining two groups (BMW CCA and PCA) to run their events, both of which went well, but they haven't yet scheduled anything for 2014. Officially they say they're waiting for the pros to pick their dates before scheduling anything else, but unofficially who knows. I personally hope they invite back the groups that did well and only punish the people that didn't, but we'll have to see.

Fyi though, it's possible CotA will limit drivers to those who have proven HPDE experience. The Driver's Edge only allowed people in their top two run groups to run CotA, and while BMW CCA wasn't that strict, even they required that you demonstrate SOME previous track experience before being allowed to drive CotA. No idea what MVP and PCA did. Not sure what your experience is, but just fyi. If you're a complete novice though, honestly I wouldn't recommend CotA for your first experience. It's very fast, very difficult (lots of turns, which makes memorizing the course take longer), and could be overwhelming to people with no experience, especially because there are some corners that look like they can be taken faster than they can, so if you fall for that there's a good chance you'll have no choice but to ram the Armco on the other side of the track -- plus CotA's track damage fees are sky-high (hundreds of dollars per square foot for some materials), and if the organizers get any repair bills, they'll pass those right on to you, and they'll know it was you because there are high-speed cameras everywhere on the track. But even absent all that risk, purely on the track's complexity, if CotA had been the first track that I ran, I probably would have left thinking I'd just never get the hang of this motorsports thing. Just one perspective.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 10-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
JarekSanto
Private
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92

Thanks. Good perspective. I have lots of experience so no worries there. Really my only concern is getting my car to Austin so I can drive something I am super comfortable in.

I'll keep an eye open for The Driver's Edge. Got a URL for them?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarekSanto View Post
Thanks. Good perspective. I have lots of experience so no worries there. Really my only concern is getting my car to Austin so I can drive something I am super comfortable in.

I'll keep an eye open for The Driver's Edge. Got a URL for them?
www.thedriversedge.net Fyi though, their events tend to sell out in about an hour. CotA may go even faster than that, so keep an eye on the calendar for when signups will open and be at your computer at that moment, just like buying hot concert tickets.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0