E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Colection of Shudder & misfiring problems and solutions

10-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
ronokenneally
Rep

Drives: Looking to buy

Colection of Shudder & misfiring problems and solutions

Just wondering if people are interested in compiling a summary of their experience with any and all variation of misfiring, shuddering, stumbling, etc. from an N54 engine. From looking into this there seems to be multiple problems and I want to try and gather the information so people can easily pick what matches their symptoms and choose the best path for correcting their problem. Iím think if people describe their symptoms, what was done to correct the problem, what actually solved the problem. As some people have variations with when the problem is happening (i.e. where in the rpm range the problem is occurring, if idle is normal etc.)
Iím not an expert and this is only a collection of information that I have gathered, I take absolutely no responsibility with whatever you guys do to your car. What you decide to do with your car is at your own risk.
Here is a brief list of possible causes, (please let me know if Iím wrong about anything or if Iím missing something here, or that isnít correct.)
1. Spark plugs. A common item to wear out quicker and need changing sooner than BMW recommends. This seems to be more of a problem with tuned cars, and should be considered changing before tuning from stock.
2. Coils. Both Coils and Spark Plugs can be swapped around to different cylinders to see if the problem follows the Coil or Spark plug, (for example if there is a problem with cylinder 5 I would recommending the coil and Spark plug and swap the coil into a different cylinder letís say cylinder 1 and swap the Spark plug into cylinder 3.)
3. Injectors,
4. Carbon build up. There is lots of information about this, Walnut Blasting is required to clean carbon out of the manifold, I have attached a link.
5. Reset adaptions, I will attach a link; this seems to solve the problem for some people and doesnít cost much.
6. dirty Vanos solenoids.
7. Failing O2 sensors
8. Low Pressure Fuel Pump
9. High Pressure Fuel Pump

Relevant links

Cobbís guide on Misfires and youtube video on changing spark plugs (which you need a special spark plug socket for anyone who doesnít know).
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

Carbon build up information and cleaning guide:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=carbon

Resetting Adaptions
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386376

Here is layout if people want to follow it
1. Car description,
Tune & mods:

2. Symptoms
RPM that it is occurring at:
Is a code showing up:
Idle:
3. Solution to the Problem
The steps taken, what worked out to be the solution

My Car
1 Car description,
Mileage: 54000 KM
Tune & mods: Golf Tee mod; disconnected cable

2 Symptoms
RPM that it is occurring at: 2500-3500
Is a code showing up: 29D1
Idle: maybe slightly off
3 Solution to the Problem
The steps taken, what worked out to be the solution: So far Iíve changed the Spark Plugs and Coils.

General description;
Originally there was no code showing, after changing the Coils and Plugs, it seemed to get slightly worse. It then threw a Ď29D1, misfire cylinder 5í code. I changed the Coil and plug each to a different cylinder and cleared the code, drove it hard and threw the code again, same Ď29D1 cylinder 5 misfireí so that rules out the Spark Plug, or Coil.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
ronokenneally
Rep

Drives: Looking to buy

Here is a link to a thread about my car if anyone wants to add anything. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post14760939
Appreciate 0