E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > New Nox sensor required. Other work required?

10-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M Sport

New Nox sensor required. Other work required?

Cars been playing up recently with erratic idle on start up and increased fuel consumption as well as Amber engine light ateast twice in the past week. Comes and goes.

Had a diagnostics done with the follow faults: I'm not going to pay bmw prices to fix issue and will go to my mechanic. (Bmw prices very extreme)

Question is, would the misfire/ fuel pump fault log be because I need a new Nox sensor? Should I get the fuel pump done at same time? Will these faults clear after the sensor is fitted, so should wait for the pump?

Cost me 90 for a scan at bmw, would I need to pay this again after my mechanic fixes the issue? He has equipment but it would not let him read the bmw codes, hence took it to bmw.

Cree angel eyes - 19" 313 OEM alloy wheels - 15mm rear spacers - Black performance Grilles - Alloy pedals - Tinted windows - Shadowline trim - M3 rear Spoiler - Tail light mod - LED interior lighting - k&n panel Filter - Performance Diffuser - Carbon Badges alround - Bluetooth - Air intake scoops - Painted Calipers - Custom Stainless Exhaust

Last edited by Drrncour; 10-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Drrncour is offline   United Kingdom
      10-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
KrisM79
Major

Drives: F32 435D Msport

Generally when nox sensor faults occur there is usually a raft of other DME faults present due to the nox errors .Change sensor ,reset faults, clear adaptions and see if they return.
KrisM79 is offline   Scotland
      10-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM79 View Post
Generally when nox sensor faults occur there is usually a raft of other DME faults present due to the nox errors .Change sensor ,reset faults, clear adaptions and see if they return.
Cheers mate, I take it bmw have to reset the adaptions and clear faults. What is an adaption) :-)
Cree angel eyes - 19" 313 OEM alloy wheels - 15mm rear spacers - Black performance Grilles - Alloy pedals - Tinted windows - Shadowline trim - M3 rear Spoiler - Tail light mod - LED interior lighting - k&n panel Filter - Performance Diffuser - Carbon Badges alround - Bluetooth - Air intake scoops - Painted Calipers - Custom Stainless Exhaust
      10-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
KrisM79
Major

No it can be done with after market equipment.The adaptions are learning values that the engine control unit learns too to account for component wear and driving style.We always usually reset when a sensor or component is replaced on engine or transmission.
Kris
      10-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Thanks mate, I'll have a word with my mechanic
      10-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
KrisM79
Major

No probs ,Nox sensor is a very common failure that does give you the symptoms you describe.
      10-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Russbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 e92 335

What car have you got? My wife's 320 NOx sensor shit itself, but also the coil pack recall hadn't been done - so I reckon the 2 may be related. Poor spark from a faulty coil = excess fuel not being burnt = NOx sensor gets a bath!

Adaptations can be reset if you have GT1/ EasyDIS - I managed to reset the wife's car ok with this.

Where abouts in Surrey are you? PM me if you'd rather.

The NOx sensor is easy(ish!) to fit, the only pain is getting the exhaust heat shield out of the way so you can get to it. Other than that, it's a case of unscrewing it out of the exhaust and disconnecting the cable connection.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-16-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Russbmw is offline   United Kingdom
      10-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
nik patel
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 325 M Sport E90

I had my Nox sensor on my Audi A3 go before, he drove still drive the same but engine management light came on. Total cost was approx. 550 inc fitting, independent garage.

What I know is that if its not replaced quick the cat can go too.
      10-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Russbmw
Lieutenant

The NOx sensor itself is a few quid shy of 300.

Delightful, for something that doesn't make any noticeable difference to engine running or performance.

10-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
What car have you got? My wife's 320 NOx sensor shit itself, but also the coil pack recall hadn't been done - so I reckon the 2 may be related. Poor spark from a faulty coil = excess fuel not being burnt = NOx sensor gets a bath!

Adaptations can be reset if you have GT1/ EasyDIS - I managed to reset the wife's car ok with this.

Where abouts in Surrey are you? PM me if you'd rather.

The NOx sensor is easy(ish!) to fit, the only pain is getting the exhaust heat shield out of the way so you can get to it. Other than that, it's a case of unscrewing it out of the exhaust and disconnecting the cable connection.
I have a 325i. I've had all recalls done ect by bmw in the past 6 months at vines bmw redhill. (Security, injectors and coils). The car is also serviced each year and a full service including sparks was done recently.

It's running rough idle, and engine light on and white smoke. These faults are sporadic at moment. It's also struggles when i press the accelerator at times to have any power. Fault code says Nox so going to change it as don't think it could be anything else at moment. Maybe fuel pump after replaced the nox if that doesn't correct it. Im in Horley Surrey.

Last edited by Drrncour; 10-16-2013 at 08:45 AM.
      10-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik patel View Post
I had my Nox sensor on my Audi A3 go before, he drove still drive the same but engine management light came on. Total cost was approx. 550 inc fitting, independent garage.

What I know is that if its not replaced quick the cat can go too.
Yeah 300 from bmw, eurocarparts don't it. Booked in for Tuesday and an independent to get the box done.
      10-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
nik patel
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 325 M Sport E90

be interested to know what happens....
      10-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Russbmw
Lieutenant

When you say white smoke, how much are we talking, and when does it happen (ie: when the car is cold or hot, etc)?

10-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Dickisafc
Private

Drives: 3 series coupe

I had the same diagnostic done and was told it was the nox sensor my car is a 118i first thing on a morning it is very sluggish and makes a loud noise like a bad Diesel engine then after 30 seconds it jerks the warning light comes on then it runs fine. I am reluctant to change it as it will be 400 and no guarantee it is to blame any advice
      10-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Russbmw
Lieutenant

Well, if the diagnostic is telling you the NOx sensors knackered and that's what triggering the EML, then you should really change it

Pretty easy one that

10-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Dickisafc
Private

Drives: 3 series coupe

The mechanic said it might not be that not me just wanted to see if anyone else had the same before I spend that much money if that's ok
      10-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Quote:
When you say white smoke, how much are we talking, and when does it happen (ie: when the car is cold or hot, etc)?
only happens on rough idle and when car jerks. Then all fine. Just gonna pay the f[or the Nox (and hope it fixes the other fault codes)

Thanks for the imput
      10-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickisafc View Post
I had the same diagnostic done and was told it was the nox sensor my car is a 118i first thing on a morning it is very sluggish and makes a loud noise like a bad Diesel engine then after 30 seconds it jerks the warning light comes on then it runs fine. I am reluctant to change it as it will be 400 and no guarantee it is to blame any advice
Same as mine, told its the NOx so replacing it. If yours is the same, and same code change it.
      10-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Russbmw
Lieutenant

The thing with modern BMWs (be this a good thing or not, I can't decide), anything that causes an issue with the car is stored in the cars memory.

If you've had a proper diagnostic done, it will highlight any issues.

So, assuming your mechanic has proper diagnostic abilities, he/it has told you the NOx sensor is buggered. They fail, not just on BMWs, VAG motors also seem to be plagued with them.

Your mechanic - what did he tell you, exactly?

The NOx sensor can be flagged as "aging", not knackered in some cases. My wife's car said the same. I reset the engine warnings and it was ok for a few weeks, then kept coming on - so replaced the sensor and reset the adaptations, and all was fine.

I would be surprised, however, if there were no other faults shown if the car runs like a sack of shit, as you describe. I would doubt the NOx sensor is the cause of this - which is why I'm dubious your mechanic has told you the right information - and I'm also surprised that the diagnostic has shown a failed sensor, yet (without anything to suggest otherwise) he's saying he doesn't think that is the issue.

If he has decent diagnostics, it will tell him what is wrong with the car - there will be no guesswork involved. Unfortunately, the days of an experienced mechanic listening to a cars engine and diagnosing the faults are almost extinct.

IF there was nothing else on the diagnostic aside from the NOx sensor, then you'd be daft to not change it to at least rule out what the diagnostic has confirmed as a certain failure.

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
      10-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
Russbmw
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrncour View Post
only happens on rough idle and when car jerks. Then all fine. Just gonna pay the f[or the Nox (and hope it fixes the other fault codes)

Thanks for the imput
Also have a poke around and check the air intake system for splits/leaks, as this will give a rough idle as well.

10-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Drrncour
Lieutenant

Quote:
Also have a poke around and check the air intake system for splits/leaks, as this will give a rough idle as well.
Will do thanks again. mine was all done at Vines BMW dionostics and was told its knackered so ill do that and then reset as you said and see what happens
      10-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Russbmw
Lieutenant

Vines used to be pretty good (I assume you're talking about the one at Redhill?) some years ago.

I used them a couple of times for a few of my cars, and they seemed straight enough about what the issues were.