E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > dvla bad experience

10-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #23
acerboo
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
The Registration Document has printed on it that when you sell the car you are responsible for sending the V5 back and that you should receive an acknowledgement letter back within 4 weeks to say you are no longer liable for the vehicle.

In BOLD type it also says "If you do not get an acknowledgement letter from us phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6802, as you could be liable for the vehicle and may get a penalty and/or be prosecuted."

So the OP is theoretically at fault because he did not tell the DVLA that he had not received the acknowledgement letter.

I didn't know this and almost came unstuck myself a little while ago. It seems a little unfair since you send the paperwork back with this informaiton on it when you return the V5 to the DVLA.
I take your point but when you are working 7 days a week to earn money to pay the government extortionate tax and business rates you sometimes forget that you also have to do the dvla's job as well! lets face it if you send the reg doc off and they say they haven't had it, it means they have either lost it (or made paper planes out of it as has been suggested) or the royal mail has lost it, either way its not down to me.
acerboo is offline   England
      11-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
acerboo
Brigadier General

so got a letter from dvla saying that although I claimed I sent notification of change of owner they did not receive it, hardly my fault especially considering some of the comments on this thread. question is do I pay them the fine or do I go to court and fight my corner after all as far as im concerned I did notify them so no offence was committed.
would I have to go to sunny wales for the court hearing because if that is the case id rather pay the fine but it does go against the grain to let them get away with it.
      11-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
AlwynMike
Captain

Drives: E91 335d.

Can I be a lone voice in support of DVLA??
I bought a new bike back in September, and had a (first issue) private plate to go on it. I wasn't too bothered that there was no Tax disc or V5 as I left the Dealers - there is 2 weeks grace period on new vehicles.
After 3 weeks I was starting to twitch a bit about using the bike.
I called the DVLA and fought with their phone system, and explained the situation. They said they'd investigate and call me back - they didn't, but to be fair, getting through to our offshore phone system may have tested their patience. Getting back home, and more phone calls to helpful DVLA staff (yes, really. Shocking isn't it!). One even phone the Dealer direct to see what had happened to the forms. It seems the Dealer either hadn't bothered, or had some problem with the forms, and that they'd been sent the previous day (!). Bear in mind I had already been in contact with the Dealer weeks beforehand, who had said the forms were with DVLA. This was a Friday. By Tuesday, my registration number was on their website as valid, registered and taxed. Wednesday the V5 arrived. Thursday the tax arrived. So, all turned around in less than a week. Was I just lucky??
Obviously, I am a little miffed with the Dealer - it took 6 weeks from picking the bike up to getting a tax disc, which is not acceptable. I only use the bike a couple of times a month, on "Green Lanes", but I still have to be road legal to use these. Still, I'm legal now. Off into the Peak District tomorrow to get cold, wet and muddy, trying not to fall off the thing!

Mike
AlwynMike is offline   United Kingdom
      11-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #26
acerboo
Brigadier General

im not saying they are totally useless but why cant they just accept I sent the logbook off and either they or royal mail lost it they don't have to keep squeezing us they get enough out of the motorist as it is.
      11-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #27
AlwynMike
Captain

Drives: E91 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
im not saying they are totally useless but why cant they just accept I sent the logbook off and either they or royal mail lost it they don't have to keep squeezing us they get enough out of the motorist as it is.
You're expecting human involvement??
That's asking too much.
Computer says NO
You get penalised. End of story.
Will the fine, paid or unpaid, get the V5 to Swansea in your case? No.
Illogical Mr. Spock.
But. Computer says NO.
So bend over. . . . .
AlwynMike is offline   United Kingdom