E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Problem with my brakes

10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
335dM
Major

Drives: 335d m package

Problem with my brakes

Okay, I'll start with my problem. I own a 2011 335D M-sport .About a year ago I bought from RB Racing brakes a pair of 2 pieces front rotors along with ET500 pads and rear Turner motorsport rear cross-drilled rotors with stoptech pads. I bedded in them properly but after 2 month I had a emergency braking situation. I thought I wrapped the disk because my steering had violent vibration. I stopped the car let it cooled down and drive again without any issue in vibration but since the beginning, the rotors are very noisy and loud when braking. I decided to order new brake pads from RB Racing with front xt910 front and ET800 in the rear. When cold, with this set-up, no vibration at any speed in steering but when I start to play with the car , stop and go , I can feel vibration is back in steering wheel , harder every time I push the brakes and if I drag the brakes a bit, a very loud continuous sound coming from the brakes occurs. If I let the brakes cool down, vibration dissapear in the steering wheel.
I'm at the point that I do not know what to do. In normal situation, the brakes are awesome and are functional but from the moment they get heats up, I feel heavy vibration and loud noise coming from the rotors.
I have attached 4 pics of the front and rear rotors to show the colors of the rotors
Attached Images

10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain

Drives: E92

Feel any pulsing on the panel while braking ?
      10-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
335dM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun
Feel any pulsing on the panel while braking ?
No
      10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain

Drives: E92

I meant brake pedal .....
      10-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo

Drives: stick

If you thought the rotors are warped, why would you replace the pads instead? Steering wheel vibration under braking usually points to warped rotors. New pads and resurfacing rotors won't cure it, vibration will come back after a few hundred miles. You are going to need new rotors.
      10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
335dM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco
If you thought the rotors are warped, why would you replace the pads instead? Steering wheel vibration under braking usually points to warped rotors. New pads and resurfacing rotors won't cure it, vibration will come back after a few hundred miles. You are going to need new rotors.
Vibration only occurs when rotors gets really hot! Under normal condition, there is no vibration at all even at high speed ! But when I brake hard a few times it becomes worst. I replaced pads to higher friction pads and brake torque to see if it would help and it does!
These are top of the line RB Racing 2 pieces rotors @ 500$/ rotors. I was told they are pretty hard to wrapped under track condition! I'm not tracking the car yet!
      10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
335dM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun
I meant brake pedal .....
Yes I got that
      10-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
deadmn1337
Captain

Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Vibration only occurs when rotors gets really hot! Under normal condition, there is no vibration at all even at high speed ! But when I brake hard a few times it becomes worst. I replaced pads to higher friction pads and brake torque to see if it would help and it does!
These are top of the line RB Racing 2 pieces rotors @ 500$/ rotors. I was told they are pretty hard to wrapped under track condition! I'm not tracking the car yet!
At this point I would remove the rotors and have them checked to see if they are warped. Any warranty on the rotors? I just got new rotors and ads myself and they have a 1 year warranty on them for warping.
deadmn1337 is offline   United_States
      10-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo

Drives: stick

Quote:
Do you really think $=quality? Do you know where those rotors were made? Do you know what type of steel they used? I can tell you that steel from different regions of the world are of different quality. The best steel comes from Japan and Germany. Steel from China is the worst and, unfortunately, a lot of these aftermarket auto parts are made in China.
      10-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
At this point I would remove the rotors and have them checked to see if they are warped. Any warranty on the rotors? I just got new rotors and ads myself and they have a 1 year warranty on them for warping.
Im planning to change my front rotors since mine have all symptoms of warped rotors. Mine vibrate ONLY when braking. Sutpid me I went the cheap route about over a year ago and now i will have to buy new ones. I will get them at the same place I got my rear ones from FCP Euro auto. These are working great no rust no warping over 9 months now.

Q: What do you visually look for in warped rotors?

Anyone?
      10-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
raceyBMW
king of the hills

Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Usually, you really can't tell visually if the rotors are warped, unless you are getting more brake deposit build-up on one portion...but that will only really happen if they are very warped. Only good way to tell is to bring them to a shop and have them turned.
raceyBMW is offline   United_States
      10-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
deadmn1337
Captain

Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Usually, you really can't tell visually if the rotors are warped, unless you are getting more brake deposit build-up on one portion...but that will only really happen if they are very warped. Only good way to tell is to bring them to a shop and have them turned.
+1
deadmn1337 is offline   United_States
      10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
335dM
Major

Quote:
Quote:
Do you really think $=quality? Do you know where those rotors were made? Do you know what type of steel they used? I can tell you that steel from different regions of the world are of different quality. The best steel comes from Japan and Germany. Steel from China is the worst and, unfortunately, a lot of these aftermarket auto parts are made in China.
Yes, I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer and made lots of research before buying those!
Take a look at this below!

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/fe...splay=twopiece
      10-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
335dM
Major

Quote:
Quote:
Do you know shy china steel is the worst compared to German and Japan? It's because German and Japan uses raw material without any contaminates or recycled steel! China uses any kind of steel.

Just look at Volkswagen, for years, they had their car made in Mexico because of labor is cheap and materials too! They were allowed to use recycled steel to make vw cars therefor using recycled & contaminated steel which would cause the car to rust faster or their electrical wires to catch fire as well because of contaminant in the steel!