E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > 4 series coupe seen



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

Posts: 3,667
iTrader: (2)

4 series coupe seen

at dealers today collecting a part, driving out I saw a blue 3 series in the car park but then realised it only had 2 doors so went back to have a look. have to say there was no wow factor (despite it being an m sport) that I had when the se e92 came out. it looks too much like a 2 door 3 series. I realise some forum members may have one on order so I stress just my opinion but I shant be rushing to buy one.
acerboo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
djgandy
Major
 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It is a 2 door 3 series
djgandy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
rr006rbc
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 687
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
It is a 2 door 3 series
I think he means that it literally looks like a normal F30 with 2 less doors. As opposed to the completely different look of the E92 to the E90 where the body shape was obviously a huge difference.

I agree though the F32 and the F30 look strikingly similar until you realize it has -2 doors. I'm still glad I didn't wait till the F32 and got the last model '13 E92..
rr006rbc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
acerboo
Brigadier General
 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

Posts: 3,667
iTrader: (2)

just seen the 2 seires coupe video, I think bmw have got their 2 and 4 mixed up! the 2 looks far better. I noticed andy priaulx checking out the orange peel in the paint though.

Last edited by acerboo; 10-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
acerboo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE

Posts: 708
iTrader: (2)

How's the interior ?
Red_Bean_Bun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
acerboo
Brigadier General
 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

Posts: 3,667
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
How's the interior ?
the car was a nice blue but interior was black and didn't really look, steering wheel was similar to 6 series.
acerboo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
davyk31
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 4,429
iTrader: (0)

The 4 Series looks great to me, and I'm an E92 driver.

Pretty normal practice for owners of previous model cars not to like the new model, then 2 or 3 years later they transform into liking the new one so much they buy one!
davyk31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
djgandy
Major
 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
I think he means that it literally looks like a normal F30 with 2 less doors. As opposed to the completely different look of the E92 to the E90 where the body shape was obviously a huge difference.

I agree though the F32 and the F30 look strikingly similar until you realize it has -2 doors. I'm still glad I didn't wait till the F32 and got the last model '13 E92..

The whole range is like that now. It's small medium large. 1-6 are all very similar in looks.

I'd actually consider the F30 more than the F32 now simply because it costs a lot less. The price gap is huge considering you really don't get much more.

Check http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW 8k!!!! Yes 8k more for a 435i M Sport vs a 335i M Sport. I appreciate the 4 might have a higher base spec, but most of the extras on BMW's have highly inflated values anyway.

The E92 335i DCT is looking pretty attractive at 31.5k too (30k for a manual) :P
djgandy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
vtune
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

looks ugly e92 ftw
vtune is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
E92Dan
Lieutenant
 
E92Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 330d
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: northampton

Posts: 571
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
The 4 Series looks great to me, and I'm an E92 driver.

Pretty normal practice for owners of previous model cars not to like the new model, then 2 or 3 years later they transform into liking the new one so much they buy one!
Very true
E92Dan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,211
iTrader: (1)

I have a E92 hiline spec from 2009, it has been a really good car over the last 4 years but lets be honest it is dated now the original came out in 2006 .I moved from a E90 because the kids started driving and my Mrs wanted something for her but not a Audi TT like hair dressers car.

Moving on Back in the spring I realised the 4 was coming out and found some fabulous deals on E92 335d sport plus with 8k off list but kept looking and as much as I have to say how good our current E92 is it is 4 yrs old and apart from the wheels side by side they looked identical,

I had the chance to view the 4 series two weeks before the UK launch and thought it looked very fresh and different from the E92 , I never compared it to the F30 because it is a two door in my humble opinion with it wider rear end it looks a bit 6 series ,I like the narrow roof line running back over the rear off the car it is expensive but relative to say a Audi 5 coupe .

We thought it was good enough and ordered a 430d m sport in mineral and coral and have specs identical to the hiline e92 plus Msport brakes,suspension,sunroof,front park sensors,pronav,folding mirrors

Delivery off the car is wk48 and we are keeping the E92 so I will post side by side pics for your approval
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Gibbo
Colonel
 
Gibbo's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Ed35
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South East

Posts: 2,292
iTrader: (0)

Scooba, sounds really nice. I drove passed a dealer last weekend and stoped to have a look at the new 4 series and X5. They had 2 cars a White and blue both M sport, the White looked far better IMO and gave the look of a mini 6 series and I though BMW had done a good job of separating it further from the current 3 series. Also good to see they have launched M sport from the start which is a no brainer in the UK Market which I guess is 90% M sport.

The X5 looked far bigger than the current model, on paper I don't think this is the case. They had a Black 30d M Sport and it looked much better in the metal than the brown pre launch car images I have seen.

In terms of the 4 coupe, each time a new series i.e. E36 to E46 to E92 I am not sure to start with then 6 months later when you see more on the road they make the old one look dated and the new model is the one you want. The only exception for me is when I see older model M3s in good condition as these would be great to have as a weekend car.
__________________
Golf Ed35 Black with - Black Leather
Gibbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,211
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Scooba, sounds really nice. I drove passed a dealer last weekend and stoped to have a look at the new 4 series and X5. They had 2 cars a White and blue both M sport, the White looked far better IMO and gave the look of a mini 6 series and I though BMW had done a good job of separating it further from the current 3 series. Also good to see they have launched M sport from the start which is a no brainer in the UK Market which I guess is 90% M sport.

The X5 looked far bigger than the current model, on paper I don't think this is the case. They had a Black 30d M Sport and it looked much better in the metal than the brown pre launch car images I have seen.

In terms of the 4 coupe, each time a new series i.e. E36 to E46 to E92 I am not sure to start with then 6 months later when you see more on the road they make the old one look dated and the new model is the one you want. The only exception for me is when I see older model M3s in good condition as these would be great to have as a weekend car.


Hi Gibbo,

I sold my Golf R back in March , I had it six months and did 500 miles and was bored one day and put it on RForum and it sold in under 15 minutes to a really nice guy who paid the full asking price.

I didn't need the money but couldn't leave it on the drive losing money ,So I said to my wife lets get you a new car she has done 14k in 4 yrs ,looked at 335ds new and thought id wait till the new 4 came out so she has a nice 430d m-sport on its way , The E92 is possibly the car I have liked the most and kept thinking for what its worth just keep it and then my head said it wont be used its hardly a classic either, So we have given it to our eldest when the F32 finally arrives next month and will just PX his E90 instead he has 40k on it and its 27 months older so he is happy

How many miles on your Golf ED 35 now ?.
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
themetz
smokin' kipper
 
themetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (2)

Less than 4,000 miles a year... why 430d? Why not the 428i?
__________________
Current Audi RS5. Previously enjoyed E92 335i M Sport; E92 M3; E92 335i M Sport; E46 330ci M Sport
themetz is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,211
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
Less than 4,000 miles a year... why 430d? Why not the 428i?
Dont know just fancied the 430d what has the 428i got that the 430d hasn't
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
MrPogle
Second Lieutenant
 
MrPogle's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330 M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Dont know just fancied the 430d what has the 428i got that the 430d hasn't
Probably the ability to do 4k per year without expensive problems.
MrPogle is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
acerboo
Brigadier General
 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

Posts: 3,667
iTrader: (2)

driving a diesel isn't just about saving money! the new 430 diesel is a s quick if not quicker than the 335d so I assume would be substantially quicker than the 428i
acerboo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
mowflow
Colonel
 
mowflow's Avatar
 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 2,422
iTrader: (2)

They will be the dealers expensive problems. The beauty of a warranty.

I'd say what it does have is a more pleasing soundtrack.

I also defy anyone that has spent more than a few minutes sitting in any F series car not to feel that the E9x models feel a bit old. I'm not saying they are not still good. It's just that they have been surpassed.
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
mowflow is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
MrPogle
Second Lieutenant
 
MrPogle's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330 M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

They will be the dealer's expense but your problems.

Agree on the other 2 points.
MrPogle is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,211
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Probably the ability to do 4k per year without expensive problems.
Like what expensive problems ?

We have been buying and running diesels for the last 12 or 13 years doing no more than 6k miles PA never had a expensive diesel problem .

Ill bear that in mind though , despite any expensive problem being covered by the manufacturer if it happens
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
MrPogle
Second Lieutenant
 
MrPogle's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330 M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

Modern diesels don't like short journeys. DPFs are the particular concern (ba-da tish). Short journeys and low mileage tend to go hand-in-hand but if your 4K a year is 1 x 80 mile journey a week there will no problem. However, if it's due to a 7 mile commute to work I'd be cautious. Obviously, only you know your actual usage.
MrPogle is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,211
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Modern diesels don't like short journeys. DPFs are the particular concern (ba-da tish). Short journeys and low mileage tend to go hand-in-hand but if your 4K a year is 1 x 80 mile journey a week there will no problem. However, if it's due to a 7 mile commute to work I'd be cautious. Obviously, only you know your actual usage.
The Journeys you mention are exactly what she does , Fingers crossed never had a issue and hope there never will be , How would I know if the dpf is broken
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST