E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The Italian tune up

08-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

The Italian tune up

Ok, so I've had 3 n54 powered cars and each one I've done something unconventional on.

On the freeway, for 25 minutes, keep the revs above 4.5k RPM's.

I learned this n54 specific habit from a BMW master tech. I do this at least once a month.

It cleans the injector tips, flushes out any carbon and unburt fuel, and generally speaking keeps the n54 performing better.

I'll do a bore scope soon to show the intake valves. It does a good job keeping them smooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

It does make the engine/oil run hotter, but that's the point.

One clause: only do this if your car has the sports package and/or an oil cooler
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
TexE90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

How does this help keep the intake valves clean? I would think this would lead to more carbon build up on the valve stems, not less.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

The heat blows out all the crap in the valves. My previous tech (he moved) did something similar. He had a lady with an E55 that just puts around town with it, never gives it full gas. Whenever she brought it in he would drive it like a bat out of hell (with her full knowledge). You could see puffs of black smoke coming out the exhaust from where the junk in the engine was flushing out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexE90
How does this help keep the intake valves clean? I would think this would lead to more carbon build up on the valve stems, not less.
How do you figure?

The engine is running several degrees hotter, so the combustion cycle is more efficient. Plus, intake valves are heated up, which can loosen and/or remove any deposits.

Interested to hear your logic re: more carbon deposits.....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue
The heat blows out all the crap in the valves. My previous tech (he moved) did something similar. He had a lady with an E55 that just puts around town with it, never gives it full gas. Whenever she brought it in he would drive it like a bat out of hell (with her full knowledge). You could see puffs of black smoke coming out the exhaust from where the junk in the engine was flushing out.
+1 perfect explanation.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
TexE90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
How do you figure?

The engine is running several degrees hotter, so the combustion cycle is more efficient. Plus, intake valves are heated up, which can loosen and/or remove any deposits.

Interested to hear your logic re: more carbon deposits.....
More cycles, more chance to build up gunk and I question if running the engine that hot is hot enough to burn off the carbon build up.

Would be interested in seeing your data to suggest the melt/burn point of the carbon build up is low enough to get in the engine temp realm.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
TexE90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
+1 perfect explanation.
Not really, the E55 runs a rich fuel mixture especially up top. When you gun it, especially after long periods of poking slowly around time, you'll get black smoke pretty consistently. It's not gunk burning off.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

I can request a better explanation from my buddy that's a BMW master tech. Until then, I'll try and get my bore scope completed.

Should be pretty telling either way. I've never had my intake valves cleaned and my car is just north of 70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
TexE90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Should be pretty telling either way. I've never had my intake valves cleaned and my car is just north of 70k miles.
You're in a for a treat then. I cleaned mine after 90k miles and man, it made a big difference - MUCH smoother power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Fedorov
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e92 335 Saphire Black

Quote:
Ok, so I've had 3 n54 powered cars and each one I've done something unconventional on.

I learned this n54 specific habit from a BMW master tech. I do this at least once a month.

It cleans the injector tips, flushes out any carbon and unburt fuel, and generally speaking keeps the n54 performing better.

I'll do a bore scope soon to show the intake valves. It does a good job keeping them smooth.
This is totally unscientific on my behalf but twice a year I drive 700 kilometers on one single day, been doing so for the last four years. I sort of noticed/felt that the engine feels more alert and sounds somewhat differently during the next couple of days. I sort of imagined/hoped that this is because keeping the engine warm for that amount of time would have a positive effect on the engine. And engines are meant to be working right?

I repeat, still unscientific on my behalf but could someone else verify this? "People say" that putting the engine under load for a while will clean out the shit..

COBB V3 : VRSF 7" FMIC : aFe STG2 Cold Air Intake : BMW Performance Style 313 : Aero Lip : Blacked out grills, wheels and window trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexE90
Quote:
You're in a for a treat then. I cleaned mine after 90k miles and man, it made a big difference - MUCH smoother power delivery.
My point, in the original post, was that I've never cleaned the intake valves on any of my n54 cars.

You can ask @bruning6 and @trixr4kids about their cars, they purchased them from me.

I've always beaten on my cars, and done the Italian tune up regularly. I don't believe either of my previous n54s have suffered any symptoms of dirty intake valves.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov
Quote:

This is totally unscientific on my behalf but twice a year I drive 700 kilometers on one single day, been doing so for the last four years. I sort of noticed/felt that the engine feels more alert and sounds somewhat differently during the next couple of days. I sort of imagined/hoped that this is because keeping the engine warm for that amount of time would have a positive effect on the engine. And engines are meant to be working right?

I repeat, still unscientific on my behalf but could someone else verify this? "People say" that putting the engine under load for a while will clean out the shit..
That's possible. The hotter and longer you run an n54, the better the idle and boost response seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
I6+TT=FTW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Sedan Jet Black

Quote:
It does make the engine/oil run hotter, but that's the point.

One clause: only do this if your car has the sports package and/or an oil cooler
I am a firm believer in this method to keep the motors running smoothly, and keep the intake valves clean(er).

But one question about your one clause.... I have an 07 xi, which has no oil cooler. Why shouldn't I do an italian tune up?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 M Sport TiAG

Very intrigued by this. I can't wait to see your precleaned intake valves at that mileage. Subbed for pics and results.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW View Post
I am a firm believer in this method to keep the motors running smoothly, and keep the intake valves clean(er).

But one question about your one clause.... I have an 07 xi, which has no oil cooler. Why shouldn't I do an italian tune up?
it might overheat
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMerrisK View Post
Very intrigued by this. I can't wait to see your precleaned intake valves at that mileage. Subbed for pics and results.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
I6+TT=FTW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Sedan Jet Black

Quote:
it might overheat
Yea it might, bit just watch the temp gauge. Once it creeps above like 260, shift up and keep cruising for awhile to get temps back down.

I did this recently twice on a 6 hr roadtrip. Once for 10 minutes on the drive up, and again for 10 minutes on the drive back home. I do think the car felt much better after a 12 hour total roadtrip (very well could be placebo effect though).

Thermal efficiency....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
JStang
N54 ADDICT
Rep
Drives: FBO E92 335i

I had clogged cats on my previous car (B6 Audi A4) and gave this a shot. It heated the cats up just enough to make the check engine light go away for a day but the code would always return.

It also gave me an uneasy feeling holding revs that high for an extended period of time.

COBB PTF TUNED - 430 WHP
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
JStang
N54 ADDICT
Rep
Drives: FBO E92 335i

I had clogged cats on my previous car (B6 Audi A4) and gave this a shot. It heated the cats up just enough to make the check engine light go away for a day but the code would always return.

It also gave me an uneasy feeling holding revs that high for an extended period of time.

COBB PTF TUNED - 430 WHP
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post

cool. just picture a 335i on the autobahn, going 145+ mph. what RPM do you think that car would be at? (hint: north of 4k rpms)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW View Post
Yea it might, bit just watch the temp gauge. Once it creeps above like 260, shift up and keep cruising for awhile to get temps back down.

I did this recently twice on a 6 hr roadtrip. Once for 10 minutes on the drive up, and again for 10 minutes on the drive back home. I do think the car felt much better after a 12 hour total roadtrip (very well could be placebo effect though).

Thermal efficiency....
Appreciate 0