Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Offsets? for square 8.5"s... 9.0"s... 9.5"s



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
J38
BMW Addict
J38's Avatar
5
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Question Offsets? for square 8.5"s... 9.0"s... 9.5"s

Why there is no offset sticky, I can't figure out. I guess so MonacoBlueE90 with the badass Volks can get his post count up.

Looking into 17x9 or 18x9.5 ~et35 setups, and I can't see straight after looking at all the "will it fit" threads.

Fender roll ok, rubbing stock size shocks/springs is not. Spacers are to be avoided if possible. This is for a meaty or standard size tire setup (think 255 square, or similar, no stretch or aggressive camber). It looks like any square 245+ setup is going to be flush up front and tucked in the rear. Is that correct?

What offsets are prime for little-or-no fender roll, no spacers required, no post-it-note-thickness clearance to the springs?

I may end up staggered, but I would like to avoid it if I can.
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Nitrous Garage
Brigadier General
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
4,900
Posts

 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post
Why there is no offset sticky, I can't figure out. I guess so MonacoBlueE90 with the badass Volks can get his post count up.

Looking into 17x9 or 18x9.5 ~et35 setups, and I can't see straight after looking at all the "will it fit" threads.

Fender roll ok, rubbing stock size shocks/springs is not. Spacers are to be avoided if possible. This is for a meaty or standard size tire setup (think 255 square, or similar, no stretch or aggressive camber). It looks like any square 245+ setup is going to be flush up front and tucked in the rear. Is that correct?

What offsets are prime for little-or-no fender roll, no spacers required, no post-it-note-thickness clearance to the springs?

I may end up staggered, but I would like to avoid it if I can.
I can help you out! If you want a square set up I suggest a 18x8.5, 18x9 or 18x9.5 with a mid 30 offset and a 245/35 tire. This will look great on your car with no rubbing or spacers needed.

Did you have any wheels in mind? Apex ARC-8 or EC-7 wheels would look great

Last edited by Nitrous Garage; 10-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,759
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

It really sounds like you should consider the Apex ARC-8 17x9 et 30. The EC-7's also come in 18x9 variety at et31.

et35 at 9" could get close to the shock tubes, depending on your setup. If you don't mind fender rolling, or just camber plates then consider the deep offset Apex's.
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
J38
BMW Addict
J38's Avatar
5
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
It really sounds like you should consider the Apex ARC-8 17x9 et 30. The EC-7's also come in 18x9 variety at et31.
Thanks for the info. Don't want to get close to the shock tubes, if I stick those 255 NT01s on there they will be wide enough to scrub if it would be close on street 245s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
I can help you out! If you want a square set up I suggest a 18x8.5, 18x9 or 18x9.5 with a mid 30 offset and a 245/35 tire. This will look great on your car with no rubbing or spacers needed.

Did you have any wheels in mind? Apex ARC-8 or EC-7 wheels would look great
ARC-8
Advan
Volk
TR Motorsports

Black/Bronze/Dark Grey

As you can see, I want my wheels on the lighter side. Not sure about 17's for aesthetics alone, on the E90 they sometimes look abnormally small to me due to the shape of the car.
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,759
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

I'll be running ARC-8's with 255's this summer (will throw on 235 winters in a month).

At my 2.5 degrees of neg camber in front they will fit without spacers and without rubbing/fender modification.

You do need the camber though for those wider tires.
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Nitrous Garage
Brigadier General
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
4,900
Posts

 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post

ARC-8
Advan
Volk
TR Motorsports

Black/Bronze/Dark Grey

As you can see, I want my wheels on the lighter side. Not sure about 17's for aesthetics alone, on the E90 they sometimes look abnormally small to me due to the shape of the car.
I say go with the ARC-8 Wheels. They are just as light as the rest but with a price tag less than half of the other choices. I run them on my 135i and love them.

If you want I can PM a quote for a set of 18x8.5 ET38, 18x9 ET42 or 18x9.5 ET35 (would have to double check to make sure it will not hit the front strut though).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,759
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

FWIW to the OP, the 17x9 ARC-8 is one of the lightest wheels on the market at 16.55 lbs. And they don't look all that weird on the e9x particularly when done in anthracite as it sort of disguises the wheel size by reduced contrast against the tires.

Google ARC-8 17x9 e92 and you will see a lot of great photos.
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
bmw325i
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,494
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
I say go with the ARC-8 Wheels. They are just as light as the rest but with a price tag less than half of the other choices. I run them on my 135i and love them.

If you want I can PM a quote for a set of 18x8.5 ET38, 18x9 ET42 or 18x9.5 ET35 (would have to double check to make sure it will not hit the front strut though).
18x9 et42 won't clear the strut. 9.5et35 most likely won't either.

18x9 et30-35 will work. With a 255 you'll probably need some camber though.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Nitrous Garage
Brigadier General
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
4,900
Posts

 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
18x9 et42 won't clear the strut. 9.5et35 most likely won't either.

18x9 et30-35 will work. With a 255 you'll probably need some camber though.
The last two I was iffy with. Thank you for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
J38
BMW Addict
J38's Avatar
5
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
FWIW to the OP, the 17x9 ARC-8 is one of the lightest wheels on the market at 16.55 lbs. And they don't look all that weird on the e9x particularly when done in anthracite as it sort of disguises the wheel size by reduced contrast against the tires.

Google ARC-8 17x9 e92 and you will see a lot of great photos.
Ok

I have an E90, which is what I have been using to search, and haven't really found any good pics. I will say that that Montego e92 has leaned me towards the 17x9... though it has 9.5's in back...

Anyone have any idea about the price on the 17x9 and 17x9.5 (just for kicks I'd like to know) ET30 because I'm a honey badger about my fenders.
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
30
Rep
2,402
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post
Why there is no offset sticky, I can't figure out. I guess so MonacoBlueE90 with the badass Volks can get his post count up.
Should i be offended by this? I mean my wheels are Varsstoen REPS. Oh and +1 post.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
op, on my pre lci e90, I'm apex ec7 18 / 9 et31, 245/35 tires. Front looks great, pretty flush, no rub. Needed a 12mm spacer in rear to not look tucked.

If you decide to go apex, the apex folks are very good with fitment questions.
__________________
AA Stage 2 - M3 control Arms FR - BMW PS2 - Dinan springs - APEX EC-7 - H&R front swaybar - GC street camber plates - Whiteline subframe inserts
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
J38
BMW Addict
J38's Avatar
5
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
Should i be offended by this? I mean my wheels are Varsstoen REPS. Oh and +1 post.
whaaaat! Those are damn good reps. I thought they were media blasted LE37ts. I figured as much as you answer offset threads, you were a wheel whore, and most wheel whores don't rock reps.

Anyway, yes I meant it as a compliment, you seem to be everywhere answering those threads, and I, for one, thank you. Now make a sticky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
op, on my pre lci e90, I'm apex ec7 18 / 9 et31, 245/35 tires. Front looks great, pretty flush, no rub. Needed a 12mm spacer in rear to not look tucked.

If you decide to go apex, the apex folks are very good with fitment questions.
Ugh. Not wanting a spacer if I can avoid it. Nevertheless, got any pics?
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
bmw325i
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,494
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post
whaaaat! Those are damn good reps. I thought they were media blasted LE37ts. I figured as much as you answer offset threads, you were a wheel whore, and most wheel whores don't rock reps.

Anyway, yes I meant it as a compliment, you seem to be everywhere answering those threads, and I, for one, thank you. Now make a sticky!



Ugh. Not wanting a spacer if I can avoid it. Nevertheless, got any pics?
You don't really need a spacer with 9 et31 square, the rear will just be a little more tucked. You could also do staggered offsets if they have a lower offset available for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,759
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Agreed, you won't need a spacer
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
30
Rep
2,402
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post
whaaaat! Those are damn good reps. I thought they were media blasted LE37ts. I figured as much as you answer offset threads, you were a wheel whore, and most wheel whores don't rock reps.

Anyway, yes I meant it as a compliment, you seem to be everywhere answering those threads, and I, for one, thank you.
I was just kidding and wasn't offended at all Wheels really are Varsstoen.

In your case 18x9.5 et35 is out of the question, because it has about 2mm gap to shocks and any lower offsets you can't really go wider tyre than 235/40 unless you add more camber. The 18x9 et30 front could work with 245/35/18, but it wont be flush at rear. You would need spacer or find wheels with lower rear offset.

This is just example 19x9 et31 front with 245/35/19.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527634

Rear 18x9 et30 + 20mm spacer and 255/35 but its rubbing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=253

So if you don't want roll your fenders then maybe et15-20 to rear with 9 wide.Except you where going with 245/35/18 so it gives little bit more room.

Pre-lci e90 is kinda hard to get flush with square setup without spacers, because rear has a lot of room.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post
whaaaat! Those are damn good reps. I thought they were media blasted LE37ts. I figured as much as you answer offset threads, you were a wheel whore, and most wheel whores don't rock reps.

Anyway, yes I meant it as a compliment, you seem to be everywhere answering those threads, and I, for one, thank you. Now make a sticky!



Ugh. Not wanting a spacer if I can avoid it. Nevertheless, got any pics?
I'll try and post some pics shortly. Agree, you don't "need" a spacer, I did it strictly for looks and I didn't want to stagger width or offset so I could rotate.

Even with a spacer, the rear looks like it has room (a 15mm spacer might have worked), as 245/35 are slightly less diameter, and pre lci has a lot of room front and back.
__________________
AA Stage 2 - M3 control Arms FR - BMW PS2 - Dinan springs - APEX EC-7 - H&R front swaybar - GC street camber plates - Whiteline subframe inserts
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
J38
BMW Addict
J38's Avatar
5
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
You don't really need a spacer with 9 et31 square, the rear will just be a little more tucked. You could also do staggered offsets if they have a lower offset available for the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Agreed, you won't need a spacer
Yeah I'm actually less concerned with matching offsets. I'd rather have the same size tire front and rear for sourcing, handling bias, and meatiness. Either a 'wide 245' or a 255. I would be OK with a lower offset wheel on the rear. I do prefer the look of similar concave f/r.
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Motorsport.Nick
Lieutenant
Motorsport.Nick's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
460
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I'll try and post some pics shortly. Agree, you don't "need" a spacer, I did it strictly for looks and I didn't want to stagger width or offset so I could rotate.

Even with a spacer, the rear looks like it has room (a 15mm spacer might have worked), as 245/35 are slightly less diameter, and pre lci has a lot of room front and back.
I've been really curious about your same set up. Please post some pics! I'm surprised more people aren't interested in running a square setup.
__________________
Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,759
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

I just ordered my arc 8s! 17x9 et30 woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport.Nick View Post
I've been really curious about your same set up. Please post some pics! I'm surprised more people aren't interested in running a square setup.
Here you go:

Front driver side, rear driver side, front strut clearance. Camber is ~ -1.1 front, ~ -1.5 rear. Stock ZSP springs, 18 x 9 et31 all around, rear has 12mm spacers, tires are Conti DW 245/35/18. Rear seems to have more room for spacers / lower et, but wanted to leave margin for error should I decide to lower springs later on.
__________________
AA Stage 2 - M3 control Arms FR - BMW PS2 - Dinan springs - APEX EC-7 - H&R front swaybar - GC street camber plates - Whiteline subframe inserts

Last edited by mlifxs; 05-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
Motorsport.Nick
Lieutenant
Motorsport.Nick's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
460
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
mlifxs

Looks great! Thanks for posting those pictures. I appreciate it.
__________________
Nick
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST