E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 bi-xenon retrofit (with pics)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Hopefully I'll be coding mine tomorrow with the xenons resting on cardboard on top of the engine bay. Better that way if I run into problems I wont have lost time installing them first.

If it all goes well, then bumper comes off tomorrow night!
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Hopefully I'll be coding mine tomorrow with the xenons resting on cardboard on top of the engine bay. Better that way if I run into problems I wont have lost time installing them first.

If it all goes well, then bumper comes off tomorrow night!
All the best.
And FYI, you will need to change the FRM2 to FRM2 xenon compatible.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
Could you retain the old switch and just not use the heigh adjust wheel?
Yes, you could.
Once the car is properly coded for xenon, that wheel is non-functional and no error.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (47)

I have done all this including the jet washers. I went for LCI xenons.
Only exception is the sensors, which are next on my list. I do not have anything on which I can lift the car and get those sensors installed. And I am poor with the spanners under the car.
Since I do not have those sensors, FRM automatically keeps the xenons on lowest height so they don't distract the oncoming traffic.

Good luck with the installation.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Hi Makkan,

Will I not just be able to code the VO to the CAS and FRM and then reset the FRM to defaults thus enabling the xenon function?

Edit: I know I have to add $522 to the VO. But did you mean I would have to buy a whole new footwell module itself?

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by bishbosh; 11-14-2013 at 04:32 PM.
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Hi Makkan,

Will I not just be able to code the VO to the CAS and FRM and then reset the FRM to defaults thus enabling the xenon function?
PWM (Pulse width modulation) is different for Halogen V/S xenon. Try it but you may have some flickering and possibly xenon going into protection mode. And if its used like that, expect xenons D1S to be fried soon.
Also, I'd expect some dashboard errors as well.
It is worth of mentioning that there is hardware difference in basic LED FRM and FRM with xenon.

TBH, if you are after OEM approach, then why using basic FRM2. If you have spend hundreds, you may wish to spend another 55-80 on FRM2 to get the job properly done.

Last edited by makkan00; 11-14-2013 at 04:43 PM.
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #29
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Oh I see, that's good to actually know the technical reasons behind it as you don't always come across stuff like that, thanks :-)
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Jat
First Lieutenant
 
Jat's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Leicester

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I have done all this including the jet washers. I went for LCI xenons.
Only exception is the sensors, which are next on my list. I do not have anything on which I can lift the car and get those sensors installed. And I am poor with the spanners under the car.
Since I do not have those sensors, FRM automatically keeps the xenons on lowest height so they don't distract the oncoming traffic.

Good luck with the installation.
So you do not have self/auto levelling sensors, so how does the FRM keep them at the lowest setting? Is this a manual coding to keep it fixed? Or does it default to that when it does not detect the sensors?

Did you fit LCI xenon to a pre-LCI halogen car then? If so, did you do a build thread as I will need to look it up!
__________________
E91 330i M Sport : Coilovers : Simota Air Intake : BMW Performance Brakes : 335 Style Exhaust : BMW Performance Colour Coded Engine Bay : BMW Strut Brace : 19" 1M Style Rims

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Jat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #31
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
So you do not have self/auto levelling sensors, so how does the FRM keep them at the lowest setting? Is this a manual coding to keep it fixed? Or does it default to that when it does not detect the sensors?

Did you fit LCI xenon to a pre-LCI halogen car then? If so, did you do a build thread as I will need to look it up!
It does it by default.

LCI xenon on pre-LCI car and no difference to what has been documented here or on google. Since, I have done nothing new and it was covered multiple times, therefore I did not document.

Main work is
- add jet washers
- install xenons
- add earth for ballast
- change frm
- code frm for xenons
and
- for jet washers

Job done.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #32
Jat
First Lieutenant
 
Jat's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Leicester

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Cheers, I already have the washer jets on my car, so thats ones less job I guess.
__________________
E91 330i M Sport : Coilovers : Simota Air Intake : BMW Performance Brakes : 335 Style Exhaust : BMW Performance Colour Coded Engine Bay : BMW Strut Brace : 19" 1M Style Rims

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Jat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
Will335d
Enlisted Member
 
Will335d's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Essex

Posts: 49
iTrader: (1)

There is definitely a gap in the market here of which I'd be an interested customer
Will335d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #34
Alex.J
Major
 
Alex.J's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E60 535d MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (9)

I will do a how to thread when mine is done also!

Hopefully this weekend and also tidy up and finalise my thread that is used further up in this one!

I won't be doing any loom alterations such as adding earth to original earth or rewiring headlights for bi xenon, will be done solely through the oem loom from bmw!
__________________
Alex.J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #35
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post
I will do a how to thread when mine is done also!

Hopefully this weekend and also tidy up and finalise my thread that is used further up in this one!

I won't be doing any loom alterations such as adding earth to original earth or rewiring headlights for bi xenon, will be done solely through the oem loom from bmw!
Did you get your loom delivered in the end?

It makes the job a lot easier and gives it a clean installation look
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #36
wafeltom
New Member
 
Drives: E90 M47N2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Something about the subject. http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...n-ahl-t132184/
wafeltom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #37
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Thanks to makkan (Sam) for a speedy delivery I now have a xenon compatible frm2. I hadn't realised before but the footwell module does need to be changed. Although the xenon lights fired up with the old frm2 and all seemed ok ( no dash errors), the bi-xenon shutter did not work.

A minor expense later and I now have everything to finish off the conversion. Although I doubt I will have time to do anything today
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

After a hard day I've got the lights fitted! Took about an hour to remove the bumper and the headlight support bracket. As I've read elsewhere the most annoying bolts are the two attaching the bumper to the wing. There is also a torx bolt nearby holding the support bracket on that's also awkward to reach!

Anyway, I had a little trouble coding the FRM2 I got from makkan. Checking first with NCSExpert I had expected not to even be able to see it as it had the wrong VIN and VO.

Surprisingly I could see it and I updated the VO using FA_WRITE and the correct VO got written to the FRM2. I was also surprised that the VIN seemed to have changed!

Anyway I must have not activated the $522 option properly because I got a low beam bulb warning error on the dash and couldn't work out what was wrong, as it turns out I hadn't loaded the correct profile in NCSExpert. Loaded the correct one with manipulation disabled and coding to default enabled the xenon options and no more dash errors!!

Issues so far:
1. Flicker on the angel eyes at startup, cold warning check? (probably due to having LED bulbs)
2. No bi-xenon main beam
3. Cannot get the angel eyes to run as DRLs (although according to the MAN/trc file that is enabled)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

P.S. Pics of the install tomorrow!
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #39
wafeltom
New Member
 
Drives: E90 M47N2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Pre-lci cars does not have drl.
Drl in lci cars needs wiring changes.
About VIN - check it in inpa and read coding from your selecting frm instead of cas. Never seen vin changed itself. Usually needs programming winkfp (change in inpa) and tool32 (change in ncs).
If xenon not working - you have to change fa in cas -add $522 and fa write to cas then ecu change -frm fa write to frm and then code frm to deflaut using expert profile.
wafeltom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafeltom View Post
Pre-lci cars does not have drl.
Drl in lci cars needs wiring changes.
About VIN - check it in inpa and read coding from your selecting frm instead of cas. Never seen vin changed itself. Usually needs programming winkfp (change in inpa) and tool32 (change in ncs).
If xenon not working - you have to change fa in cas -add $522 and fa write to cas then ecu change -frm fa write to frm and then code frm to deflaut using expert profile.
I've not checked the VIN in INPA yet, but I did read the coding from the NFRM instead of the CAS and it shows the correct vin.

Xenon is working, just not the bi-xenon shutter - my flash-to-pass and the highbeam both activate the halogen bulb.

I've done the fa_write to the CAS and NFRM and coded the NFRM to default. Quite a bit changed!
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #41
wafeltom
New Member
 
Drives: E90 M47N2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Have you got extra wires or pin 5 and 6 connected together?
wafeltom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #42
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafeltom View Post
Have you got extra wires or pin 5 and 6 connected together?
I used the correct loom which connects pin 5 on both headlight sockets to pin 41 on the FRM, I didn't think anything else would be required

I have heard of people connecting pins 5 and 6 together but didn't think that would apply when the correct loom is used.
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #43
wafeltom
New Member
 
Drives: E90 M47N2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Yes you right -pin 41 in x14260 frm is the oem way.
wafeltom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #44
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Issues so far:
1. Flicker on the angel eyes at startup, cold warning check? (probably due to having LED bulbs)
2. No bi-xenon main beam
3. Cannot get the angel eyes to run as DRLs (although according to the MAN/trc file that is enabled)

Any ideas?

P.S. Pics of the install tomorrow!
1- You can disable the checking by custom coding.
2- Pre-LCI xenons are designed to have H7 as high beam. Exceptions are if you hack it and connect high beam wires to shutter. If I remember correctly, there is another line to change. Sorry cannot remember as I have done LCI xenons retrofit.
3- Yes, that can be done again by custom coding. As far as you have FRM2, angel eyes can be coded to run as DRL at 0 position of headlight switch.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST