E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 bi-xenon retrofit (with pics)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,540
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafeltom View Post
Pre-lci cars does not have drl.
Drl in lci cars needs wiring changes.
About VIN - check it in inpa and read coding from your selecting frm instead of cas. Never seen vin changed itself. Usually needs programming winkfp (change in inpa) and tool32 (change in ncs).
If xenon not working - you have to change fa in cas -add $522 and fa write to cas then ecu change -frm fa write to frm and then code frm to deflaut using expert profile.
Helpful post but VIN of FRM is irrelevant. People start killing themselves just to change it.
No need for it and FRM can be coded irrespective of VIN of the donor car.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #46
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

No photos today as I forgot my camera, but I managed to get the Angel Eyes to work as DRLs

Most places say to change TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_1 to activ in the trace file and the setting of VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL to drl_s.

This I did but it didn't make any difference. With my car being a pre-LCI halogen originally I changed TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_0 to activ instead and Hey Presto! Angel Eyes lit at position 0 of the light switch!

Now just need to sort the angel eye flicker at startup and the bixenon function
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #47
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Update to previous post, I can now confirm that the following is NOW WORKING:

1. Bi-xenon function. Flash to pass uses the inner halogen beam, but the main beam now activates the bi-xenon shutter!!

2. Angel eyes now run as DRLs

3. Angel eyes do not flicker on startup. The cold/warm bulb check for the front sidelights now disabled.

I think enabling TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_0 meant that the PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON setting was set up correctly. Previously the trace file only said

PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_01

and I know for bixenon it should read:

PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03

Now I am not about to go adding lines I think 'should' be there in case I screw things up. Anyway when I re-read the trace file the PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON setting was as it should be

Anyway I edited the .MAN file to make this change (really easy to see file differences with WinMerge). Wrote it back to the FRM and it all works as it should. No wiring changes or other pin taps required!
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #48
Alex.J
Major
 
Alex.J's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E91 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (9)

Glad it's all done mate!

Completed mine today too!
__________________
Alex.J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #49
Jat
First Lieutenant
 
Jat's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Leicester

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Superb effort there mate, this is a really useful guide for anyone looking to do this. Along with others on this forum like Alex.J and Makkan (I'm sure there are others too), there is lot of valuable and insightful info available. This should probably be pulled as links into a sticky.
__________________
E91 330i M Sport : Coilovers : Simota Air Intake : BMW Performance Brakes : 335 Style Exhaust : BMW Performance Colour Coded Engine Bay : BMW Strut Brace : 19" 1M Style Rims

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Jat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #50
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Noticed last night one of my bixenon shutters wasn't working

Checked this morning and the connector at pin 5 had fallen out of the headlight socket *duh*

Easiest fix I ever did
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #51
Alex.J
Major
 
Alex.J's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E91 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (9)

Perfect work mate! Get some headlights on images!!

I have posted mine up if you have had a look?!
__________________
Alex.J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #52
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Can't see any pictures on your profile Alex, privacy settings?
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #53
Alex.J
Major
 
Alex.J's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E91 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (9)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=851062&page=4
__________________
Alex.J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #54
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

A few pics of my install

Forgive me the cleanliness of the headlight it was a wet drive home this evening!





From the front with dipped beams





From the front with angel eyes only. Or should I say DRLs?
There isn't glare like that in the flesh at all, I'm not good at night shots with my camera. Look at the corona rings in the previous shot for a better idea at what they should be like. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow of the DRLs during the day

bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #55
Alex.J
Major
 
Alex.J's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E91 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (9)

I have to admit, they look very good!

As you say its more camera glare than ring glare, if thats the case then i like that alot!

I like crisp rings haha! (take that however you like)

Great work!
__________________
Alex.J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #56
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post
I have to admit, they look very good!

As you say its more camera glare than ring glare, if thats the case then i like that alot!

I like crisp rings haha! (take that however you like)

Great work!
Yes it's more camera glare than anything. Pity really because they do look great at night So much so I end up wanting to drive at night just for the fun of it! I must be sad!

How about these rings then?

bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #57
Alex.J
Major
 
Alex.J's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E91 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Yes it's more camera glare than anything. Pity really because they do look great at night So much so I end up wanting to drive at night just for the fun of it! I must be sad!

How about these rings then?

Crispy rings! Much more my style! ha!
__________________
Alex.J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #58
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Angels in the grim daylight

bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #59
wafeltom
New Member
 
Drives: E90 M47N2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Nice job !!!
wafeltom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #60
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,960
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Hi Jat,

I started researching and collect parts a few weeks ago after realising that my headlights looked quite pathetic in the dark, I even put installed Philips Xtreme vision bulbs but it didn't help much.

Anyway I found some info from this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887687 but I found out that the part number for the wiring harness was out of date.

To date I obtained:
1. Non-adaptive pre-LCI xenons from eBay.
2. 10w angel eye LED bulbs, eBay.
3. 2 level sensors, eBay.
4. Wiring Kit (the box can be seen in the photos!)
5. Most of the bits from this page on realoem excluding the sensors and a couple nuts/bolts as I already had them.
6. FRM2 footwell module (already in the car)
7. Light switch, check on this page for the correct one. In my case I needed part 61316932798. This was found on eBay.

I've still not done everything although I only started fitting the parts last weekend. The wires are as installed as far as the footwell module but I haven't actually plugged them in yet.

I then need to code the car (finally got NCSExpert working properly yesterday )

I also need a few hours free (when the wife isn't looking) to remove the bumper and install the new lights. Hopefully I'll be finished by the end of this weekend!

I presume LCI lights can be fitted but I don't know if/what the changes may be. I wanted as close to OEM as possible.

Dave
If you got nonadaptive headlights. What was the point in installing the level sensors?
__________________
2006 BMW 325i Titanium Silver
Mods- 19" AG M310's hypersilver, LCI xenons, drilled and slotted rotors, OEM rear spoiler, OEM exhaust tips, brushed black interior trim, Viper 5904 alarm + remote start
Audio upgrades- Alpine S920HD, JL XD600/6, Jehnert XE200, Morel Hybrid Ovation II, Audioque 2200D, 2 Alpine SWR 12d4's (forward facing sealed from trunk)
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #61
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,540
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Hi Jat,

I started researching and collect parts a few weeks ago after realising that my headlights looked quite pathetic in the dark, I even put installed Philips Xtreme vision bulbs but it didn't help much.

Anyway I found some info from this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887687 but I found out that the part number for the wiring harness was out of date.

To date I obtained:
1. Non-adaptive pre-LCI xenons from eBay.
2. 10w angel eye LED bulbs, eBay.
3. 2 level sensors, eBay.
4. Wiring Kit (the box can be seen in the photos!)
5. Most of the bits from this page on realoem excluding the sensors and a couple nuts/bolts as I already had them.
6. FRM2 footwell module (already in the car)
7. Light switch, check on this page for the correct one. In my case I needed part 61316932798. This was found on eBay.

I've still not done everything although I only started fitting the parts last weekend. The wires are as installed as far as the footwell module but I haven't actually plugged them in yet.

I then need to code the car (finally got NCSExpert working properly yesterday )

I also need a few hours free (when the wife isn't looking) to remove the bumper and install the new lights. Hopefully I'll be finished by the end of this weekend!

I presume LCI lights can be fitted but I don't know if/what the changes may be. I wanted as close to OEM as possible.

Dave
If you got nonadaptive headlights. What was the point in installing the level sensors?
Sensors are for vertical auto aiming of the headlights.
AHL xenons use these sensor and steering wheel sensor as well.
First one for vertical aiming and later one for lateral focusing / aiming.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #62
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
If you got nonadaptive headlights. What was the point in installing the level sensors?
Even bog-standard halogens have motors in the headlights. Although automatic levelling involves using your fingers to turn a dial next to the lightswitch!

As makkan says, 'adaptive' in this context is for pointing left and right.
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #63
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,960
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Even bog-standard halogens have motors in the headlights. Although automatic levelling involves using your fingers to turn a dial next to the lightswitch!

As makkan says, 'adaptive' in this context is for pointing left and right.
Didn't know that .

On my headlight connector pins 2, and 7-11 are empty so I am trying to figure out what wires I need to add. Do either of you know if this diagram is correct? Without ahl its 4 wires, with ahl its only 2 wires which is why I wasn't sure.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WDS Wiring Diagram System.pdf (78.1 KB, 60 views)
__________________
2006 BMW 325i Titanium Silver
Mods- 19" AG M310's hypersilver, LCI xenons, drilled and slotted rotors, OEM rear spoiler, OEM exhaust tips, brushed black interior trim, Viper 5904 alarm + remote start
Audio upgrades- Alpine S920HD, JL XD600/6, Jehnert XE200, Morel Hybrid Ovation II, Audioque 2200D, 2 Alpine SWR 12d4's (forward facing sealed from trunk)
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #64
bishbosh
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sheffield

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Ahh, usually pins 8-11 are used for the levelling motors. If they are empty maybe USA spec BMWs do not have levelling motors?

Pin 2 is empty in halogen lights, in xenon lights it is an earth for the ballast unit.

I think pin 7 is used as part of the adaptive system.

I've not seen that diagram before but it looks fairly straightforward, the wires to the ride height sensors use the same pins that I used.

The only thing puzzling me in the diagram is pin 11 on the headlight connectors (x13420 & x13421) I presume it goes to the AHL control unit?
bishbosh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #65
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,960
iTrader: (5)

I believe I got the wiring all figured out. Can anyone confirm? Especially pin 1 and pin 7, since I got those from the e92 diagram. I think pin 1 gets moved to pin 7, and pin 1 goes to pins 41 and 14 instead. That makes sense to me since the 3 led's now function as parking lights, and pin 1 is now for the angel eyes.

Pin 1 -----------Angel eyes- Left: Plug X14261 Pin 41 / Right: Plug X14260 Pin 14
Pin 2 -----------Ground
Pin 3 -----------Low beam- Left: Plug X14260 Pin 6 / Right: Plug X14261 Pin 38
Pin 4 -----------Ground
Pin 5 -----------Shutter- Plug X14260 Pin 41
Pin 6 -----------High beam- Left Plug X14261 Pin 6 / Right: Plug X14260 Pin 4
Pin 7 -----------3 led's- Left: Plug X14261 Pin 50 / Right: Plug X14260 Pin 8
Pin 8 -----------Unused
Pin 9 -----------AHL- Plug X14260 Pin 42
Pin 10 -----------AHL- Left: Plug X14260 Pin 25 / Right Plug X14260 Pin 24
Pin 11 -----------Unused
Pin 12 -----------Turn Signals- Left:Plug X14260 Pin 13 / Right Plug X14261 Pin 40
__________________
2006 BMW 325i Titanium Silver
Mods- 19" AG M310's hypersilver, LCI xenons, drilled and slotted rotors, OEM rear spoiler, OEM exhaust tips, brushed black interior trim, Viper 5904 alarm + remote start
Audio upgrades- Alpine S920HD, JL XD600/6, Jehnert XE200, Morel Hybrid Ovation II, Audioque 2200D, 2 Alpine SWR 12d4's (forward facing sealed from trunk)

Last edited by bmw325i; 12-08-2013 at 10:47 AM.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #66
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,960
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Ahh, usually pins 8-11 are used for the levelling motors. If they are empty maybe USA spec BMWs do not have levelling motors?

Pin 2 is empty in halogen lights, in xenon lights it is an earth for the ballast unit.

I think pin 7 is used as part of the adaptive system.

I've not seen that diagram before but it looks fairly straightforward, the wires to the ride height sensors use the same pins that I used.

The only thing puzzling me in the diagram is pin 11 on the headlight connectors (x13420 & x13421) I presume it goes to the AHL control unit?
I got it figured out now. I got confused about pin 11 too, but I looked at the diagram again after reading your post. Pin 11 is the ground for the AHL module.

So I think the following is accurate

Pin 1 -----------Angel eyes- Left: Plug X14261 Pin 41 / Right: Plug X14260 Pin 14
Pin 2 -----------Ground
Pin 3 -----------Low beam- Left: Plug X14260 Pin 6 / Right: Plug X14261 Pin 38
Pin 4 -----------Ground
Pin 5 -----------Shutter- Plug X14260 Pin 41
Pin 6 -----------High beam- Left Plug X14261 Pin 6 / Right: Plug X14260 Pin 4
Pin 7 -----------3 led's- Left: Plug X14261 Pin 50 / Right: Plug X14260 Pin 8
Pin 8 -----------Unused
Pin 9 -----------AHL- Plug X14260 Pin 42
Pin 10 -----------AHL- Left: Plug X14260 Pin 25 / Right Plug X14260 Pin 24
Pin 11 -----------Ground
Pin 12 -----------Turn Signals- Left:Plug X14260 Pin 13 / Right Plug X14261 Pin 40
__________________
2006 BMW 325i Titanium Silver
Mods- 19" AG M310's hypersilver, LCI xenons, drilled and slotted rotors, OEM rear spoiler, OEM exhaust tips, brushed black interior trim, Viper 5904 alarm + remote start
Audio upgrades- Alpine S920HD, JL XD600/6, Jehnert XE200, Morel Hybrid Ovation II, Audioque 2200D, 2 Alpine SWR 12d4's (forward facing sealed from trunk)

Last edited by bmw325i; 12-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST