E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Will be buying E92 soon but no garage

04-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
JunkyardDogg

Drives: Acura RL

Will be buying E92 soon but no garage

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an E92 black sapphire. The problem is that my new condo does not have garage parking, only outdoor assigned parking. What measures can I take to keep the paint and interior in top condition? I've done some research and plan to do the following:

3M crystalline tint 70 all around
Leather conditioner
Carnauba wax once a month

Since I will be driving it daily, i'm not sure if a car cover is worth getting, plus i've heard they can scratch the paint. Any tips?
      04-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
SF Space Grey
Private

Drives: 2009 335i sedan

First, think about whether you really want to get a black car. Without a garage, it will look noticeably dirty the day after you wash it--will that drive you crazy? Of course, it also shows scratches more than any other color, so if you care about the paint looking good you'll need to put a lot of work into keeping it that way through proper care technique. For that same reason I would avoid car covers except maybe immediately after washing if you have to.

Carnauba wax won't last as long outside as in a garage, so if you're worried about applying a new layer every month, look into a hybrid wax-sealant or even a coating like opti-coat.

Finally, search this forum for what people say about leather conditioner. We have coated leather so you don't need to "feed" it with a bunch of oily products that will just sit on the surface and attract dirt. Best to use a gentle cleaner regularly and then apply something that gives a nice breathable polymer-based coating for protection.

Last edited by SF Space Grey; 04-04-2014 at 12:31 AM.
      04-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Gig103
Major

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

SF makes a good point that if you don't want to see a dirty car, reconsider black. But I have a garage and my car still gets dirty, so don't let it be because of a lack of garage!

In your case, keeping on top of the wax or sealant will help protect the paint from the elements, and I'd skip the car cover. Both will help protect the paint, but sealants last longer than the waxes. I'm very vocal in my love of Blackfire Wet Diamond. It lasts months even in the intense Arizona sun.

Do you have access to a hose bib to clean? If not, consider Optimum No Rinse which you add to a bucket for washing. Keep a second bucket around with regular water for rinsing the microfiber cloths in between passes. In fact, use two buckets even if you are washing traditionally!

The links I sent you to above are a forum sponsor. There's currently a promo on car shampoos, including the ONR. Shampoo414 at checkout.
      04-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
JunkyardDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
First, think about whether you really want to get a black car. Without a garage, it will look noticeably dirty the day after you wash it--will that drive you crazy? Of course, it also shows scratches more than any other color, so if you care about the paint looking good you'll need to put a lot of work into keeping it that way through proper car technique. For that same reason I would avoid car covers except maybe immediately after washing if you have to.

Carnauba wax won't last as long outside as in a garage, so if you're worried about applying a new layer every month, look into a hybrid wax-sealant or even a coating like opti-coat.

Finally, search this forum for what people say about leather conditioner. We have coated leather so you don't need to "feed" it with a bunch of oily products that will just sit on the surface and attract dirt. Best to use a gentle cleaner regularly and then apply something that gives a nice breathable polymer-based coating for protection.
Well, my first choice was space grey and black was my second. But it just so happens I found one with stick and it happens to be black. Maybe i'll wait a little longer. I've had a black car before and know it takes alot of effort to keep clean. But that was in southern california. Now i'm on the east coast and have to deal with rain and snow so i'm a bit paranoid. Good look on the sealant and leather cleaner info. I'll look further into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
SF makes a good point that if you don't want to see a dirty car, reconsider black. But I have a garage and my car still gets dirty, so don't let it be because of a lack of garage!

In your case, keeping on top of the wax or sealant will help protect the paint from the elements, and I'd skip the car cover. Both will help protect the paint, but sealants last longer than the waxes. I'm very vocal in my love of Blackfire Wet Diamond. It lasts months even in the intense Arizona sun.

Do you have access to a hose bib to clean? If not, consider Optimum No Rinse which you add to a bucket for washing. Keep a second bucket around with regular water for rinsing the microfiber cloths in between passes. In fact, use two buckets even if you are washing traditionally!

The links I sent you to above are a forum sponsor. There's currently a promo on car shampoos, including the ONR. Shampoo414 at checkout.
No I live in an apartment complex without access. Thanks for the links. Based on what ive been reading I think i'll go with a sealant. But black just looks so nice when its clean!
      04-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
SHEEDI
Major

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
look into carpro and opticoat coatings
      04-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Gig103
Major

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
Well, my first choice was space grey and black was my second. But it just so happens I found one with stick and it happens to be black. Maybe i'll wait a little longer. I've had a black car before and know it takes alot of effort to keep clean. But that was in southern california. Now i'm on the east coast and have to deal with rain and snow so i'm a bit paranoid. Good look on the sealant and leather cleaner info. I'll look further into it.

No I live in an apartment complex without access. Thanks for the links. Based on what ive been reading I think i'll go with a sealant. But black just looks so nice when its clean!
The No-rinse, and Blackfire Wet Diamond would work well for an apartment complex. I'd go for the black car because it's available in stick, and they can be hard to come by.
      Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #7
JunkyardDogg

Ok so after some more research, i've decided to go with the following care for my non-garaged car.

Wash once a month - Optimum No Rinse and Shine
BFWD All Paint protection sealant after washing
Ultima Waterless Wash + to keep clean in between washes. Every week.
BFWD Interior Cleaner & Protectant

So my only question is:

How often do I need to put on the BFWD sealant?
      Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #8
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i coupe

If you are going to wash the car once a week, there really isn't too much point in stacking Ultima and Optimum. I would just get a Gallon of Optimum and just dilute to waterless or rinesless. I know Ultima is a bit better in the slickness spectrum but it is just one more product you need to keep around (a pricey one). For the BFWD, I would say reapply every 4 months.
PTek Will is offline   United_States