E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #45
blackie
Enlisted Member
blackie's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: Sapphire Black 325i 06
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

DavidN: just one more question. As I mentioned above, I'll be picking up my new car soon. I plan to clean it as follows:

1. Dawn
2. Clay
3. Zaino (times 3)

Question: will I need to wash again after the clay and before the Zaino? Or is wiping off excess QD (lube) with the towel the most I need to do?

Cheers
__________________
Sapphire Black 325i '06 | Lemon Dakota Leather | 6 speed manual | Standard Canadian Spec

Last edited by blackie; 04-18-2006 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Editorial
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #46
330i
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i Premium and Cold
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washingon

iTrader: (0)

Viking and Mcguiars have chantilly mitts and sponges are they any good they feel soft and are deep pile to pull the crud in. They also have microfiber mitts and towels with silk boarders anybody use these?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #47
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
DavidN: just one more question. As I mentioned above, I'll be picking up my new car soon. I plan to clean it as follows:

1. Dawn
2. Clay
3. Zaino (times 3)

Question: will I need to wash again after the clay and before the Zaino? Or is wiping off excess QD (lube) with the towel the most I need to do?

Cheers
As you long as you wipe the clay lube off each section as you are going along then you will not need to rewash the car. However, if you wait until you are finished claying the whole car before drying the lube off then I would advise washing the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #48
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i
Viking and Mcguiars have chantilly mitts and sponges are they any good they feel soft and are deep pile to pull the crud in. They also have microfiber mitts and towels with silk boarders anybody use these?
Go with the chenille wash mitts for washing. The MF towels are fine for QD'ing, removing wax, etc. I wouldn't use MF mitts for washing. The pile is not deep enough and can cause scratches if dirt gets trapped.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #49
330i
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i Premium and Cold
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washingon

iTrader: (0)

thanks David
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #50
blackie
Enlisted Member
blackie's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: Sapphire Black 325i 06
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Thanks David
__________________
Sapphire Black 325i '06 | Lemon Dakota Leather | 6 speed manual | Standard Canadian Spec
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #51
Tien
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 330i SG
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

does Z7 good enough the clean the windows? to removes road film, stubbborn stains etc...

what window product do you recommand?

thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #52
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tien
does Z7 good enough the clean the windows? to removes road film, stubbborn stains etc...

what window product do you recommand?

thank you
I like Z7. It is a good car wash. If you have a lot of grime, use a stronger concentration. But to answer your question, it is good enough to clean stubborn stains, etc.

For windows. I usually use a damp cloth to wipe them down, followed by a dry cloth to remove any excess moisture from the damp cloth. This works well for me. I find cleaner just streak and smear the dirt around not really cleaning anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #53
Tien
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 330i SG
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
I like Z7. It is a good car wash. If you have a lot of grime, use a stronger concentration. But to answer your question, it is good enough to clean stubborn stains, etc.

For windows. I usually use a damp cloth to wipe them down, followed by a dry cloth to remove any excess moisture from the damp cloth. This works well for me. I find cleaner just streak and smear the dirt around not really cleaning anything.
thank you ~
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #54
NPinUK
Private First Class
2
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK Midlands

iTrader: (0)

What is the normal drying time for p21s wax before buffing it off??
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #55
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK
What is the normal drying time for p21s wax before buffing it off??
P21s is a wax on wax off type of wax. No drying or hazing is required. For expample, apply p21s to a section, (half the hood, half the roof, etc), then immediately wipe off with a quality towel.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #56
DesiInCT
Second Lieutenant
DesiInCT's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
WOW, this is an amazing post. You should be charging people (not me ) for providing such information. I will try all steps you mentioned but if I do 50% of the those, I would be happy. Thank You DavidN.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #57
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiInCT
WOW, this is an amazing post. You should be charging people (not me ) for providing such information. I will try all steps you mentioned but if I do 50% of the those, I would be happy. Thank You DavidN.
Not a problem! Glad to be of service to my fellow bimmer owners!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #58
NPinUK
Private First Class
2
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
P21s is a wax on wax off type of wax. No drying or hazing is required. For expample, apply p21s to a section, (half the hood, half the roof, etc), then immediately wipe off with a quality towel.
Thanks David.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #59
markrhall
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i black sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rogers, AR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
So are the Viking microfiber drying towels okay to use to dry the car once all the dirt has been removed? I have been using terrycloth bath towels, but everyone here seems to recommend the MF towels.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #60
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrhall
So are the Viking microfiber drying towels okay to use to dry the car once all the dirt has been removed? I have been using terrycloth bath towels, but everyone here seems to recommend the MF towels.
Waffle Weave MF towels are great for drying. I used to use Terry towels but prefer MF. As long as your Terry towels are 100% cotton (including the backing - which can be polyester on some "100% cotton" towels sold) then you will be fine using those if you like them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #61
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
6
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Is there something special I'd need to know when polishing small, narrow or very curved surfaces with PC? I mean when the polishing pad is not on the surface with its whole area. For example the top part of the front fender when hood is up or A pillars etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #62
DavidN
Lieutenant
10
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 BMW 318i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Is there something special I'd need to know when polishing small, narrow or very curved surfaces with PC? I mean when the polishing pad is not on the surface with its whole area. For example the top part of the front fender when hood is up or A pillars etc.
No, nothing special to know per say. You may encounter a bit of splatter when polishing areas smaller than the pad because some of the pad is not in contact with any of the paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #63
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
6
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
No, nothing special to know per say. You may encounter a bit of splatter when polishing areas smaller than the pad because some of the pad is not in contact with any of the paint.
O.k. Thank you very much again David.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #64
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

Quick tip - when ordering products online, use Google to search for coupon codes, e.g. autogeek + coupon.

just saved 10% at autogeek.

Fantastic write-up. Thanks a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #65
Deathspank
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin Tx

iTrader: (0)

Klasse AIO/SG

Great Post... already washed my 330i with your rec'd products .. looks spiffy!

I went all over town looking for the Klasse stuff....is it online only? Once I find the AIO/SG... can you use the AIO by hand or only w/ the PC?

What do you rec' for the interior leather/plastics? I used Mother's protectant on the dash etc and Lexol on the leather... anything better?

Thx for the thread.. its great!
DC
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #66
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Nice post! I will have to look at this again when I get time to wax. Good stuff!
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST