E90Post
 


Mtrack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > St George Tyres - Avoid



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
bmwgent
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

St George Tyres - Avoid

Purchased a set of "Michelin" tyres from this retailer in September. What a wonderful experience that was;
- Damaged all four wheels, covered up with sticky black brake dust so you
don't notice
- Didn't install the lock stud, "wasn't us"
- Denied all responsibility, blamed everything on BMW dealer's "car wash"
- Today, found a row of balance weights on the garage floor, took car to local
retailer for a balance. Also no weights on another wheel.
Discovered that the rear tyres are five years old, European winter tyres,
unsuitable for Australian conditions. Tyres last average 6 years, I have one
left on them. These are not covered by Michelin guarantee as well.
So, if you buy on price, this is what awaits. They are parallel imports, old stock, that is why they are cheap. Serves me right.
Undoubtedly, some forum members have had no problems with this company, but be very aware, shonky outfit !
If you have bought, check the manufacturing date, surprise may await you too.
bmwgent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
_ink
Captain
 
_ink's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 836
iTrader: (0)

Wow! An eye opener!! And thanks for sharing!!
__________________
... Check out the garage
_ink is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Ninjaoz
Captain
 
Ninjaoz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 911
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
holy sht...you should lodge a complaint at Fair Trading and seek compensation. I know the majority of their tyres are parellel import but didn't realise they are unprofessional too!
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,558
iTrader: (0)

They are dodgy, i had a set of continentals tyres installed on my advan rims in the past and the rims worth worth over $1k each on a previous car. When they removed the previous balance weights they must have used a screwdriver and scratched the shit out of the inner barrels of the rim removing the old weights. Since the rim was an open spoke design the scratches stood out big time!

I didn't notice until i got home (2 hrs drive) and i called them and they basically denied any responsibility.

Also the tyre jock sprayed tyre shine on my rear tyres albeit all over the tread, so when i went to drive off the rear end fishtailed out wildly on me unexpectedly...
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
bmwgent
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
They are dodgy, i had a set of continentals tyres installed on my advan rims in the past and the rims worth worth over $1k each on a previous car. When they removed the previous balance weights they must have used a screwdriver and scratched the shit out of the inner barrels of the rim removing the old weights. Since the rim was an open spoke design the scratches stood out big time!

I didn't notice until i got home (2 hrs drive) and i called them and they basically denied any responsibility.

Also the tyre jock sprayed tyre shine on my rear tyres albeit all over the tread, so when i went to drive off the rear end fishtailed out wildly on me unexpectedly...
NICE ! Of course, you too were fobbed off, with thinly veiled suggestions that you were trying to put one over them....
The worst of it is, I went to them based on recommendations on the "Tyre Sticky" section of this forum.
bmwgent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
NBTBRV8
First Lieutenant
 
NBTBRV8's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 997.2 GT3 & MG RV8
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

They usually advertise new/old stock on eBay.
NBTBRV8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

how to check the tyres manufacturing date btw?
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
bmwgent
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 320d M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
how to check the tyres manufacturing date btw?
Check the inner side of the tyre, it is moulded into the rubber. Four numbers, eg 0813 Aug 2013
bmwgent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #9
Zen
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgent View Post
Check the inner side of the tyre, it is moulded into the rubber. Four numbers, eg 0813 Aug 2013
I believe 0813 is Week 8 of Year 2013, therefore its Mid-Feb of 2013, and not Aug 2013.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Zen is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
kaitan
Major
 
kaitan's Avatar
 
Drives: Black Man Wheels
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I believe 0813 is Week 8 of Year 2013, therefore its Mid-Feb of 2013, and not Aug 2013.
Spot on!!

First 2 number represent the number of week of that year and of course the last 2 represent the year. e.g. 5212 means 52nd week of 2012 means Late december 2012 the tyre was made.
__________________
Done: JB4, AR Design DP, M3 Steering Wheel, BMS PODS, Michelin PSS 225/255, Black Grille, CF Quad Diffuser, Remus Quad Exhaust, BSM Bootlip
kaitan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia

Posts: 279
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear OP.

I got my Forgestar's delivered there back in February and they slapped the first set of tyres & weights on. Didn't have a problem. In fact, the guy running the show was great! Really looked after me. I did however state that I didn't want the rubber to go on the wheels until I got there as I wanted to inspect the rims first. Pays to be anal!

It is a good reminder to all to check manufacture dates!
Gemballa1980 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
skidz
Banned
 
Drives: 1mers nuts :D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: unda da bridge

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

ive got a couple of sets of tyres from them and never had an issue. but i do know a chap that has been going there for years and on the last trip they broke the handle on the cover in the boot.

FWIW i find in most situations if you engage with people you get better service and as gem says it pays to be anal
skidz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
JJH_335
Private First Class
 
JJH_335's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM E92 335i manual
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia

Posts: 179
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
FWIW i find in most situations if you engage with people you get better service and as gem says it pays to be anal
Whilst all true, as a paying customer for their service, you expect to have the job done to a proper and acceptable standard AND with your car and wheels returned to you in the same condition as when you took it in.

Yes, I am anal too as it involves my hard-earned money!
JJH_335 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
skidz
Banned
 
Drives: 1mers nuts :D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: unda da bridge

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
Whilst all true, as a paying customer for their service, you expect to have the job done to a proper and acceptable standard AND with your car and wheels returned to you in the same condition as when you took it in.

Yes, I am anal too as it involves my hard-earned money!
yeh I hear ya loud n clear buddy. i guess what I should have said was I WATCH EM LIKE A HAWK and inspect at each stage

I guess they are cheap cheap and thats gotta be for a reason and trade off BUT not dodgy!
skidz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
John_01's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,914
iTrader: (0)

Personally I got suspicious when their ebay descriptions say that they all items require freight and cannot be picked up. I'm getting the impression the don't want people to inspect the product, or maybe they just trying to make an extra $$ out of it.

Anyway if I want to save some money I would rather order for Tirerack, because they look after the customer really well - The promptly handled my product return when a wheel was damaged during transport, and I wasn't out of pocket by even 1c. Just be aware of import duties and GST.
John_01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
skidz
Banned
 
Drives: 1mers nuts :D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: unda da bridge

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Personally I got suspicious when their ebay descriptions say that they all items require freight and cannot be picked up. I'm getting the impression the don't want people to inspect the product, or maybe they just trying to make an extra $$ out of it.

Anyway if I want to save some money I would rather order for Tirerack, because they look after the customer really well - The promptly handled my product return when a wheel was damaged during transport, and I wasn't out of pocket by even 1c. Just be aware of import duties and GST.
i think we could be talking about different shops as i have always picked up from their shop.

BTW tirerack dont ship anything worth geting to OZ anymore. everything seems to be on the dont ship outside the US these days
skidz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #17
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia

Posts: 279
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
i think we could be talking about different shops as i have always picked up from their shop.

BTW tirerack dont ship anything worth geting to OZ anymore. everything seems to be on the dont ship outside the US these days
They still ship Michelin & Goodyear

Got a quote 3 days ago: $230 for 2 tyres or $310 for 4 tyres (to Canberra).

My rears are shot and came across these instead:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOODYEAR-...item3cd7ce0156

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 in 265 30 19. $279 each! Shipping to Canberra: $15 each tyre.

Turned up today. Build date of 4511. Half price tyres that are 2 years old - I'm happy. Still plenty left.
Gemballa1980 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
John_01's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,914
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
i think we could be talking about different shops as i have always picked up from their shop.

BTW tirerack dont ship anything worth geting to OZ anymore. everything seems to be on the dont ship outside the US these days
I wrote about St George tyres online ebay shop. Item 3 of their T&C, states "ALL ITEMS MUST BE SHIPPED".

I ordered Toyo R888 from Tirerack last week. Goods cost was USD880. Hopefully I don't get stung for customs duty and GST. If I don't get stung, including freight it should be about the same price as buying the 2 year old R888 from the St George tyres' ebay listing. Really I wanted to buy these from the local tire shop, but the Toyo distributer doesn't have any stock of the size I need.

Last edited by John_01; 11-22-2013 at 05:28 AM.
John_01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #19
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,558
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
They still ship Michelin & Goodyear

Got a quote 3 days ago: $230 for 2 tyres or $310 for 4 tyres (to Canberra).

My rears are shot and came across these instead:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOODYEAR-...item3cd7ce0156

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 in 265 30 19. $279 each! Shipping to Canberra: $15 each tyre.

Turned up today. Build date of 4511. Half price tyres that are 2 years old - I'm happy. Still plenty left.
Damn thats a good price, i have some meat left on my rear A2's but at that price i should grab some to store until mine wear out!
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
skidz
Banned
 
Drives: 1mers nuts :D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: unda da bridge

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
They still ship Michelin & Goodyear

Got a quote 3 days ago: $230 for 2 tyres or $310 for 4 tyres (to Canberra).

My rears are shot and came across these instead:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOODYEAR-...item3cd7ce0156

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 in 265 30 19. $279 each! Shipping to Canberra: $15 each tyre.

Turned up today. Build date of 4511. Half price tyres that are 2 years old - I'm happy. Still plenty left.
i asked for a quote a couple of weeks back and both those brands were on their 'no ship to oz' list. perhaps they drive a 1m and dont like me either

iirc the only thing they said they would ship was pirelli
skidz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
skidz
Banned
 
Drives: 1mers nuts :D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: unda da bridge

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I wrote about St George tyres online ebay shop. Item 3 of their T&C, states "ALL ITEMS MUST BE SHIPPED".

I ordered Toyo R888 from Tirerack last week. Goods cost was USD880. Hopefully I don't get stung for customs duty and GST. If I don't get stung, including freight it should be about the same price as buying the 2 year old R888 from the St George tyres' ebay listing. Really I wanted to buy these from the local tire shop, but the Toyo distributer doesn't have any stock of the size I need.
could be an ebay thing??? i just call to check they have the size im after and drive over and talk to the youngish tallish tattoo (and somewhat unfortunate looking) chap and see what he has on sale (checking the date of course) for the price of tire rack shipped these chaps install and i dont have to cart tyres all over the place. id go back, in fact if I can find a set of 19x10-11 rims for the rs ill be there getting a set of 295's
skidz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #22
stephano5
Private
 
Drives: Black E93 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

ive had good experience with taleb tyres
stephano5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST