E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > [FREE] Central NJ - Providing Car battery replacement help

01-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #23
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSF View Post
I'll need help soon, need to replace my battery to lol
I'll be treking out to the long island area on weekends in february... If you have some kind of shelter we can work on the battery replacement and registration then. Send me a PM and lets figure something out.

I've never wrenched out the battery on an e9x yet... But i've read up on it and seen it done a few times. With patient hands i'm sure we can take on this job!

I'm also getting the yellow battery light in my car twice in one week so far. Same with the clock resetting! I'm planning to change out to an AGM battery this summer once the temps get better and if my car battery lasts thru the winter
fazman is offline   United_States
      01-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #24
RSNGH
OEM Performance parts

Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I'll be treking out to the long island area on weekends in february... If you have some kind of shelter we can work on the battery replacement and registration then. Send me a PM and lets figure something out.

I've never wrenched out the battery on an e9x yet... But i've read up on it and seen it done a few times. With patient hands i'm sure we can take on this job!

I'm also getting the yellow battery light in my car twice in one week so far. Same with the clock resetting! I'm planning to change out to an AGM battery this summer once the temps get better and if my car battery lasts thru the winter

Shelter wise I cannot gaurentee any but I know a great location parking lot within everyone's reach.

Can you PM the same spec battery at an lower price like you have mentioned before? I just got my car back and the battery is completely dying now and giving the car all these signs but once it's charged up its back to normal

I have some time on my hands and we can both help out others in need, battery stuff is complicated because of the programming and I know how it feels being stranded out there lol
RSNGH is online now   United_States
      01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
PichaDis11
Captain

Drives: 08 328i

The battery is fairly easy to get out. I found that out the hard way by banging my finger. lol I can help out if needs be, I am in the North Valley Stream area.
PichaDis11 is offline   United_States
      01-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #26
j23a45m
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 335

Garage List
very generous offer, I would donate to you just because.
2011 BSM 335i E90 MTECH 6MT • JB4 stage 2 iso 5.3 FF wire• BMS Intake • Vishnu DP • Cyba Scoops • LUX V4 • 6000K Headlight/Fog light Philips Ultinon • Euro headlight switch • ACS roof wing • 35% tint • Performance Grilles • Misc coding • AA charge pipe • ///M3 fenders • 335is pedals • CSL trunk •
j23a45m is offline   United_States
      01-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #27
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH View Post
Shelter wise I cannot gaurentee any but I know a great location parking lot within everyone's reach.

Can you PM the same spec battery at an lower price like you have mentioned before? I just got my car back and the battery is completely dying now and giving the car all these signs but once it's charged up its back to normal

I have some time on my hands and we can both help out others in need, battery stuff is complicated because of the programming and I know how it feels being stranded out there lol
Send me a PM and lets figure something out.
      01-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #28
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
The battery is fairly easy to get out. I found that out the hard way by banging my finger. lol I can help out if needs be, I am in the North Valley Stream area.
to an awesome guy i know!!
      02-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #29
phrost
zzzzaaaaannnnggggg

Drives: 2007 328i e92 sport+premium

i may take you up on this. I've been getting a battery warning recently at random times (cold mornings/sitting a while)
      02-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
mmurray
Private First Class

Drives: '06 E90 330xi

Might need this soon! Car woke up dead a few days ago and I'm borrowing another until I get a new battery. Few questions:

- I have a pre-LCI e90... are there any proven aftermarket options that people recommend, or is an OEM battery in order?
- About the registration, admittedly I'm just reading up on all this now that I have the problem. I'd have to install the new one, then you'd register it to the car or it would throw codes otherwise? Sorry if it's a dumb question I'm just unfamiliar - used to be an old jeep guy so all I did was drop in a new one and drive off

Thanks!
      02-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #31
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrost View Post
i may take you up on this. I've been getting a battery warning recently at random times (cold mornings/sitting a while)
Okay sounds good... send me a PM when you are ready. Feb 2014 weekends are going to be difficult for me. I'll be available to help you on weekdays in the late evening. We could meet at Woodbridge Mall or Menlo Park Mall or Costco here in Edison. It takes a few seconds to register the battery.. I would prefer the Woodbridge mall since it's closer to me.

- Faz
      02-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #32
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Might need this soon! Car woke up dead a few days ago and I'm borrowing another until I get a new battery. Few questions:

- I have a pre-LCI e90... are there any proven aftermarket options that people recommend, or is an OEM battery in order?
- About the registration, admittedly I'm just reading up on all this now that I have the problem. I'd have to install the new one, then you'd register it to the car or it would throw codes otherwise? Sorry if it's a dumb question I'm just unfamiliar - used to be an old jeep guy so all I did was drop in a new one and drive off

Thanks!
Send me a PM... I'll walk you through ordering the correct battery for your car. I just need to see what your current battery specs are (from the label on the battery in the trunk).

Get me the following:
1) Color of the original BMW battery casing: (White or Black)
2) remove the battery hold down in the trunk or peak behind it and get me the following specs from the battery:
a) AH
b) RC
c) CA
d) CCA

With the above information I can point you to the correct replacement battery to get installed for a simple registration (not requiring re-coding).

If you want to get a different spec battery that requires re-coding... I'll help you pick out the battery and can let you borrow my laptop and cable with me around (but you need to find someone you trust to remote code your car).

Honestly... I think just getting a similar spec battery to the original is more than good enough + the basic free registration I can do for you in seconds. It's really only for those crazy peeps who want to get the largest AGM battery who originally had a flooded battery that need to recode OR if you want a super tiny battery because you feel the weight savings is more important than not always be able to start in the freezing winter weather

Its far more simple to get a 5 year warranty gold battery from AAP and register the battery once every 5+ years. i believe they have a coupon code called HUGE50 which gives you $50 off of $175, so order the correct battery plus some random stuff to get to $175 and your out the door price is $125

At that point $125 / 5 years = $25/year cost for a battery is not a bad deal. I'm currently at 6 years and 4 months @ 80k miles on my original battery. I do 25 miles drive one way 6 days a week and from the hidden menu in the kombi I can see that in the single digit NJ temps in the morning I have a battery voltage of 11.3v and my car starts up just fine. Worst I have seen is 10.8v and got the battery warning which killed electrical consumers to save battery (I was using the REST button). If my car lasts thru this winter... I think I will proactively change my car battery if the voltage drops to 10.2v OR at age of 7 year old/100k miles (because at that point it's diminishing returns, I don't want my starter or alternator to nuke itself).

Last edited by fazman; 02-07-2014 at 12:11 PM.
      02-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #33
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

02-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #34
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 E90

Hey this is a great service! The dealers by me suck!

I'm not sure whats going on with my battery. I'm not getting a battery error, but my clock and aftermarket headunt keep resetting. How can I check the voltage if I don't have Idrive?

I may need to get a new battery.
      02-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #35
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
Hey this is a great service! The dealers by me suck!

I'm not sure whats going on with my battery. I'm not getting a battery error, but my clock and aftermarket headunt keep resetting. How can I check the voltage if I don't have Idrive?

I may need to get a new battery.
This is what i use to get to the hidden menu:
https://www.google.com/#q=e90+hidden+menu

If you are losing power to systems it might be because you don't drive your car enough for it to recharge. Because of "Efficient dynamics" by bmw... The car won't charge the battery until its warmed up and the car is just coasting or braking (not under load). So try to do a nice freeway drive of about 10 miles on the weekend to juice it up. Also be sure to power off ALL devices before u turn off the motor, that also means don't run your radio with the motor off.

If your battery is more than 6+ years old... Your probably due for a new battery.
      02-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #36
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
This is what i use to get to the hidden menu:
https://www.google.com/#q=e90+hidden+menu

If you are losing power to systems it might be because you don't drive your car enough for it to recharge. Because of "Efficient dynamics" by bmw... The car won't charge the battery until its warmed up and the car is just coasting or braking (not under load). So try to do a nice freeway drive of about 10 miles on the weekend to juice it up. Also be sure to power off ALL devices before u turn off the motor, that also means don't run your radio with the motor off.

If your battery is more than 6+ years old... Your probably due for a new battery.
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to look for those hidden menus, I'm interested to see what else is in there.

You're right I haven't been driving that much maybe to work and back about 15 min. each way. The weather sucks around here lately so I've been using the jeep more lately.

Although my car is a 2006 so I think I'd be better off picking up a new battery. How can I tell if the battery has been changed already? Is there a date code on it?
      02-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #37
djjasper
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to look for those hidden menus, I'm interested to see what else is in there.

You're right I haven't been driving that much maybe to work and back about 15 min. each way. The weather sucks around here lately so I've been using the jeep more lately.

Although my car is a 2006 so I think I'd be better off picking up a new battery. How can I tell if the battery has been changed already? Is there a date code on it?
Date code is on the negative post on the battery.
Attached Images

Last edited by djjasper; 02-21-2014 at 11:09 AM.
djjasper is offline   United_States
      02-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #38
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjasper View Post
Date code is on the negative post on the battery.
Thanks!
      02-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #39
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

So it turns out I need a new battery. My battery icon came ob. I was able to charge it up after a long ride, but its just a matter of time.

I checked the date on the negative terminal and its 06...the original battery.

The battery is white
90ah
720A
720CCA
160? Cant remember thhe acronym

Any ideas for a replacement?
      02-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #40
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
So it turns out I need a new battery. My battery icon came ob. I was able to charge it up after a long ride, but its just a matter of time.

I checked the date on the negative terminal and its 06...the original battery.

The battery is white
90ah
720A
720CCA
160? Cant remember thhe acronym

Any ideas for a replacement?
I can help u with this, just pick up an H8 non AGM battery from AAP (Advanced Auto Parts). Get their gold battery with the 5 year warranty and search online for coupon codes when u order it online (for pick up in store). Just make sure the RC (Reserve Capacity is greater than 140 and you will be fine, but try to get something around the 160 range).

Once u get that replacement battery installed, hit me up and i'll register the battery for u for free.
      02-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #41
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:

using INPA i can tell if it was registered (it keeps a log of the last 5 battery changes and the mileage at when that happened. But if it was never registered the car would not know the battery was changed. Usually if u have the OEM battery... its the original.
      02-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #42
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
I can help u with this, just pick up an H8 non AGM battery from AAP (Advanced Auto Parts). Get their gold battery with the 5 year warranty and search online for coupon codes when u order it online (for pick up in store). Just make sure the RC (Reserve Capacity is greater than 140 and you will be fine, but try to get something around the 160 range).

Once u get that replacement battery installed, hit me up and i'll register the battery for u for free.
Thans man, I appreciate the help. I'll shoot you a pm after I get the battery.
      02-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #43
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:

The car is a 2006 325i E90. So can you tell me out of these three which one should be the best option.
I'm not sure of the group size and the specs are a little different its not a perfect match.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c2/...p2HomeClicked=
      02-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #44
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
The car is a 2006 325i E90. So can you tell me out of these three which one should be the best option.
I'm not sure of the group size and the specs are a little different its not a perfect match.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c2/...p2HomeClicked=
I feel the Part No. 49H8 is the better bet to go with:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...000#fragment-2

It has the closest specs to your original battery (The RC is matching your OEM @ 160)

FROM SPECS TAB:
Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 49
Cold Cranking Amps: 760 amps
Cranking Amps: 950 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 7 1/2 in
Length: 14 5/16 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 160 min
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 52 lbs
Width: 6 7/8 in

Are you planning to DIY or have them install it? Just a word of warning... don't let anyone plug in anything to your OBD2 port or a backup battery when doing the battery replacement on this car (People say they do this to preserve the "memory" but it's not good... my friend got a busted fuse for his kombi when AAP did the install that way. It's an easy fix but took a couple days of research to figure out the issue).

Also make sure you pop down the rear seats in case you lock the trunk by accident (you don't want to be locked outta the trunk with no battery... know what i mean).

Last edited by fazman; 02-28-2014 at 02:46 PM.