Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel to hub issue - Need help!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

11-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
ilike2breathe
Registered

Drives: 2011 328ix

Wheel to hub issue - Need help!

Hey guys,
I recently purchased a 2011 e90 328ix sedan. It came with OEM 162 style rims (18") and I recently bought some OEM 157 style for winter rims (17").

I have never taken the wheels off this car yet and I ran into issues last night when I went to install the new wheels. I started with the front driver wheel. After I pulled the lugs off, the wheel was stuck to the hub. I read that this is a common issue and I was able to get it loose after a while and removed the wheel. When I went to put the new wheels on the hub, it wouldn't sit flush or fit. There was a large gap between the hub and the wheel. The wheel would not fit over the hub... It was almost as if the wheel diameter was too small for the hub. I struggled with it for a long time, including smashing it with my foot, using lube, and trying to tighten up the lugs to see if that would pull it tight. Nothing would get it to sit flush.

So then after struggling for a long time and trying a few different ways to get it on and trying another wheel, I decided to put the original wheel back on.... Well then I couldn't get that to go on without pounding on it for a while and tightening and rotating the tire about 10-15 times before I was able to get it to fit flush. It's almost as if both of these wheels aren't made for this hub...but everything appears stock on this car and the wheels are OEM..

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had issues with this? From everything I've read, this isn't a problem with the wheels not fitting this car....they should fit. They are off of an E90 to begin with. It's a problem with the hub to wheel for some reason...

I appreciate any ideas. I've searched the forums, internet, you tube, etc, and haven't found any solutions...

Thanks!!
Chris
      11-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
RobertRO
Private

Drives: Z4 M Coupe

A picture of the wheel hub would be very useful.
Based on your report above, and without any visual information, I would say that the culprit may be:
- the hub center ring diameter was enlarged due to corrosion and/or transfer of material from the 18" wheel center bore to the hub. Try to clean the hub using a wire brush. You may get best results with a soft circular wire brush driven by a drill machine;
- the vehicle front brakes (either stock brakes, or maybe a custom big brake kit fitted by the previous owner) require wheels of at least 18" diameter. In this case, the 17" wheels cannot be fitted.
RobertRO is offline   Romania
      11-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
ilike2breathe
Registered

Drives: 2011 328ix

Thanks for the help. I will work on it again this weekend and will take some pictures. I will try the wire brush suggestion. I believe the brakes are OEM, but I will look closer.

Thanks!