E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Accident Question

11-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
isteeze
Banned

Drives: SGM 335i

Accident Question

Okay guys i wanna know how this is going to work and what not!!

As some of you know, i was in a accident and got surgery and what not...

After i got out of the hospital 1 hour later my mom ends up in a hospital...

Now i wanna know whos fault it is and what i can do to fix this issue..

My mom was already in the middle of the intersection doing a left turn, she was the second car in the intersection and the first car went and right after my mom went, Yes the light is red and they have to go, but under a red light a lady going 45-60 mph (not sure cause my mom doesnt really remember) hits the front end of my moms car... My cousin said that the insurance company is going to make it look like my moms fault for the fact being that she had to feel completely safe to make the left turn...

What i dont get is, my mom had no options but to make that left turn orelse she would stay in the middle of the intersection... moral of the story is my moms car is totaled from the front end....

What are my options what can i do to come to the bottom of this?
      11-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Michener

Drives: '09 323i

Canadian insurance agent here. Person making the left turn at an intersection is always at fault - what color the light was doesn't matter.

If the person going straight ran the red and there is proof they will ALSO be at fault and both will be charged with an at fault accident on their record.
Michener is offline   Canada
      11-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
DRock3d
Kraut Driver

Drives: 2007 328i MT

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michener View Post
Canadian insurance agent here. Person making the left turn at an intersection is always at fault - what color the light was doesn't matter.

If the person going straight ran the red and there is proof they will ALSO be at fault and both will be charged with an at fault accident on their record.
Makes sense, she is supposed to yield to oncoming traffic and the other person isn't supposed to run red lights.
DRock3d is offline   United_States
      11-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

My dad unfortunately experienced this shitty rule. Its so unfair. What is a person suppose to do when its red and they need to make a turn? Sit there and wait to get killed?

One way i have learned to avoid this is when making a left turn, any doubt that you wont be able to make the left turn, don't make it. And when stopped at a red light and making a left turn... make sure EVERYONE has stopped and then take the turn. Eff the light colour
hardtothepaint is offline   Canada
      11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
catcher22
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

If you're in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left, then the light turns red, you're supposed to wait for all the cars to clear. Even if there are idiots running the red light.

And everybody else is supposed to wait for you to clear the intersection before they move too. (note this isn't directed towards you or your mom (sorry to hear about the accidents and hope for a speedy recovery), but to answer some questions posed by others in this thread)