E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dual Exhaust - Evap/Charcoal Canister

11-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Dual Exhaust - Evap/Charcoal Canister

So what the heck is this charcoal canister? What is its purpose and is there any problem moving it?

Went to the muffler shop today to install my Cyba tips. They're way too long and the end of the tip is only a couple inches from the canister, and there isn't enough room for a 90 degree bend.

They want me to move it someplace else and route the piping for the passenger side exhaust directly through the cavity where that canister is held.

I've searched and found a couple threads where the canister is relocated. Just wanted to hear what everyone recommends. And is there any harm in moving it? Also where the heck do I go to get this done? The body shop who just fixed my car after a rear end collision? Or a BMW Indy shop? The muffler shop didn't know how to go about moving it.

Here's some pics I've found of dual conversions. Was planning to go the route of the 90 degree bends but that's not going to work. So the goal now is the other pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blindside_137; 11-25-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
.fLip.
no more coupe :(
Rep

Drives: e90

good question in for more info

any link to where that second setup came from?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Drives: '07 E90 328i

what's the eval/charcoal canister? Is that the storage bin? If it is, the 2 boxes are different between 325/28/30 and 335's. If you're trying to go the 2nd pic route, you need that box.

If you want to go the first pic route which I did, the only thing you need to cut/remove is the plastic piece that's in the way with a box cutter to put the 2nd exhaust tip. I'll see how long are my tips. But if that shop can't do that job he isn't worth going too. Find another shop that's creative.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .fLip.
good question in for more info

any link to where that second setup came from?
First picture -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557918

Second picture -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848222
      11-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
.fLip.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
what's the eval/charcoal canister? Is that the storage bin? If it is, the 2 boxes are different between 325/28/30 and 335's. If you're trying to go the 2nd pic route, you need that box.

If you want to go the first pic route which I did, the only thing you need to cut/remove is the plastic piece that's in the way with a box cutter to put the 2nd exhaust tip. I'll see how long are my tips. But if that shop can't do that job he isn't worth going too. Find another shop that's creative.
any pics of your setup? just searched your post for pics/sound clips and found nada
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16

The second picture still has the evap canister, if you look closely it is now behind the storage box instead of to the right of it. Any idea what purpose it serves though? I hear it can throw error codes.

We had my car on the lift and held up my Cyba tip to my diffuser, and there really just isn't enough room to run a pipe with a 90 degree bend to meet the inlet of the tip. It's possible we could hack off a majority of the Inlet on my Cyba tip, but I'm not sure I want to do that, especially if that still doesn't buy us enough room.

Plus, I actually would prefer to move the canister so my pipes don't have the 90 degree bends. I feel like it's obvious that the exhaust will flow better if mounted like the second picture (although I could be wrong)
      11-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
.fLip.
Rep

quick google search netted

Quote:
The only reason to delete your charcoal canister is if you are not using the purge valve anymore, due to whatever reason. It has a purpose, which is for evaporative emissions. As fuel vapors build up in the gas take, they exit the gas tank via a check valve, and are built up in the charcoal canister. During part-throttle cruise, the purge valve will open and allow some of those fuel vapors to be burned in the engine just like regular gasoline coming from the fuel rail. It hurts nothing for it to be there, and does nothing but good for the environment. Not saying I'm a tree hugger, but it makes no sense to remove it when it does you no good but emitting raw HC vapors into atmosphere.
I have read of people deleting it. but I never looked into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for that google search. I couldn't really find anything on the forums about it. Here are some pictures I just took in my garage and holding up the tip. There's just a tiny bit of room to work with. Maybe I'll visit two other muffler shops tomorrow to see if they can do it. Pictures are 1) the evap canister directly outside of the passenger exhaust outlet hole 2) storage box and evap canister and 3) from the driver side over to the passenger with the canister on the left, and Cyba tip on the right (sticking out from my diffuser about 1/4 to 1/2 inch)
Attached Images

11-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think its going to possible if nearly all of the inlet diameter of the Cyba tip is chopped off.

I'm going to try to visit 2 other muffler shops tomorrow and get their opinion. I really do not want to take it into another shop to move this canister. I was without my car for over the last 2 months after my rear end accident and I don't want to give it up again lol
      11-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
YE100
P PLATER
Australia
Rep

Drives: E92 325i

I'd like to know about this too, although i was thinking of doing a qua tip exhaust but something tells me that would be impossible without hefty modding..
      11-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

PM'd

For the rveryone else interested, I decided I didn't want to hack off my Cyba tips. And the 90 degree bending IMO doesn't look very clean. And even if we had been able to make it work, my evap canister literally would have been touching the exhaust piping and I didn't want that to be a problem.

So I had the evap canister relocated per that link posted above from picture 2. The BMW Indy shop did a fantastic job. With the canister behind the box instead of to the right, I now have a perfect cavity to run piping on the passenger side.

Now I won't have any 90 degree bends, the evap canister is tucked away safely, and I won't have to butcher my Cyba tips trying to make it work. I'll take plenty of pics when it goes on the lift later today when the exhaust is finished.
      11-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's a pic I just snapped at the muffler shop of the new canister location.

Will update in a couple hours once the exhaust is finished.
Attached Images

11-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's some shots before
Attached Images

11-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

With the Y-pipe installed now. They have a flap welded inside to make sure there is even exhaust flow on both sides.
Attached Images

11-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Boom
Attached Images