E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Dealer stealing attempt failed

11-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
muhanda1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2010 320d E90 MY10

Smile Dealer stealing attempt failed

I dropped my car off to the dealer last night to fix the Squeaking noise coming from belt drive system. I only have 2 weeks warranty left on the car. I checked where the noise was coming from before I dropped the car. It was from the power steering pulley. I replaced the belt and the tensioner few months back and sure it wasn't the tensioner or the belt.
Service clerk told me it's going to cost me $217 to diagnose then more for the parts. I said to him belt is new and if it's a pulley then should be covered under warranty. He called me this morning and said the belt and the power steering pulley need to be replaced and going to cost me $257. He said it's normal wear and tare and not covered under insurance. I asked him to explain how a metal pulley would wear so quickly by running a rubber belt over it. And it cannot be the belt since it's only a few months old. He said there are couple of belts and I said to him there is only one drive belt. Then he felt embarrassed and said he will en-quire with BMW and let me know. Few minutes later he called me back and said all covered under warranty. So glad I get a new belt and the pulley replaced for free.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT

And rightly so!!!

They always try and squeeze $ out of you, imagine the illegitimate $ made from dealerships for work that should be covered under warranty!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Dealers are idiots.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Drives: Silver 320i E90 6MT

It's the dealer not BMW doing this stuff. Dealers are often private concerns, if not individual BMW P&L operations, and they make nothing on warranty work. Like we care - the warranty is there for a reason!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
bmwgent
Rep

Drives: 2010 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196806 View Post
It's the dealer not BMW doing this stuff. Dealers are often private concerns, if not individual BMW P&L operations, and they make nothing on warranty work. Like we care - the warranty is there for a reason!
How does a dealer not make money out of warranty work ? The warranty is BMW factory, not dealer backed, isn't it ? They did some warranty work recently on mine, saw the invoice, (it was inflated) charged to BMW Aus.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
stephano5
Private
Australia
Rep

Drives: Black E93 325i

My rear tail light was flickering on and off and wasnt covered under insurance for "wear and tear"- I go how does an LED tail light exactly have wear and tear? Those things are rated to last for decades. After a few shit fights they agreed to replace rear tail light for free yay
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2009 330d LCI Sport

Dealer will try to get out of anything they can. My old X5 has interior trim peeling problem. The steering wheel along with other interior trim was peeling off after 3 year and they told me that it is due to wear. They were going to charge me the full amount but after arguing with them, they agree to only charge for labor and provide the parts free of charge.

Now that I think about it, I should have been more firmer. Mind u, the trim on the E90 and E60 is also peeling, especially around the start/stop button.

Diesel POWER!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0