E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter storage

11-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
gazzetta
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 bmw 335i

Winter storage

Hey guys!
So this will be my first winter with my BMW.
It's the e93 so I will be putting it into my non-insulated cold garage.
Just looking for some storage tips. So far I've read to do the following:
-oil change
-fill up the tank completely
-jack up the car
-hook up battery tender
-baking soda inside the car

Would you guys recommend anything else? Wrap the tail pipes? Car cover?
Any suggestions would be awesome!! Thanks y'all
      11-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
pepep
PEPEP

Drives: 07 E92 328i

Garage List
2007 328i coupe  [4.75]
I stored my car for 3 winters and basically did the ff.

1. full tank of gas
2. battery tender
3. BMW gas stabilizer
4. fresh oil

and no problem.
      11-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
CarbonTT
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

how about your store with me in an indoor heated storage location lol
      11-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
awarhold
Enlisted Member

Drives: 997.2 GT2RS

Suggestion? Yeah, my suggestion is drive the car. Why are you storing a 6 year old 3 series? It ain't an exotic.
      11-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
gazzetta
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarhold
Suggestion? Yeah, my suggestion is drive the car. Why are you storing a 6 year old 3 series? It ain't an exotic.
Damn this guy is so cool
      11-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
redfox
Virgin

Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzetta View Post
Damn this guy is so cool
I agree with the comment though. Why store it? They are meant to be driven full year round.
      11-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
GreekboyD
Colonel

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarhold View Post
He might be sick of swapping summer tires, lowering raising the car, alignment costs, etc.

To each their own.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
      12-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
gazzetta
Second Lieutenant

My winter beater (99 Subaru forester) is probably cheaper then a set of winter rims and tires for the BMW lol
      12-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
BRAISKI
Colonel

Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
People think just because its a "BMW" it should stored and they think it will retain the resale value.

I get asked all the time if I store my car in winter, I tell them hell no! Its not an exotic car and even then if I have Lambo AWD I would drive it during winter. I bought the car to be driven not to be stored and looked at.

I was initially thinking about buying a winter beater, then I thought why buy a cheap winter beater when accidents occur more often during winter, my e92 is a very safe car which rather have. Then again some people don't see safety as an issue.

If you have a super hot GF do you lock her up and not show her off and not ride her as often? I think I would show her off and ride her till I'm tired and bored, then off to the next one
BRAISKI is offline   Spain
      12-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
alexx03
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

i use to store my built chevy cobalt and you guys are complaining about storing a BMW....now thats funny lol maybe some people can afford a winter beater and would rather put the extra km and abuse of winter on that car? not trying to be a dick but its true,if you can...why not?
      12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
gazzetta
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx03
i use to store my built chevy cobalt and you guys are complaining about storing a BMW....now thats funny lol maybe some people can afford a winter beater and would rather put the extra km and abuse of winter on that car? not trying to be a dick but its true,if you can...why not?
Exactly!!
      12-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
awarhold
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx03 View Post
Because life is short and therefore you should live it to the fullest. If you think living life to the fullest equates to driving a winter POS, while your prized summer car continues to depreciate in your garage, then go for it.
      12-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
alexx03
Lieutenant

Quote:
Because life is short and therefore you should live it to the fullest. If you think living life to the fullest equates to driving a winter POS, while your prized summer car continues to depreciate in your garage, then go for it.
so you think driving a bmw in the winter is living life to the fullest? dude you really need to go on a trip,meet some new friends,get into some trouble i dont know but if you think driving your little 3 series in the winter is living life to the fullest, you seriously need to get out more....what could you possibly do in the winter that makes life so joyful in your 3 series? spin out a little? do a couple drifts? or do you just drive around like miss daisy? im not trying to be a dick again im just not understanding why you think its bad to store a car...
      12-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
awarhold
Enlisted Member

Quote:
so you think driving a bmw in the winter is living life to the fullest? dude you really need to go on a trip,meet some new friends,get into some trouble i dont know but if you think driving your little 3 series in the winter is living life to the fullest, you seriously need to get out more....what could you possibly do in the winter that makes life so joyful in your 3 series? spin out a little? do a couple drifts? or do you just drive around like miss daisy? im not trying to be a dick again im just not understanding why you think its bad to store a car...
i'm in turks & caicos now you clown. that is living life to the fullest. plus, I drive a 997.2 turbo in the winter and GT2 in the summer. my 2007 e90 335i is my kid hauler. life is great.
      12-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
alexx03
Lieutenant

Quote:
i'm in turks & caicos now you clown. that is living life to the fullest. plus, I drive a 997.2 turbo in the winter and GT2 in the summer. my 2007 e90 335i is my kid hauler. life is great.
and this is why i usually dont comment on forums, a simple question turned into name calling and a bigger dick contest with what you drive and where your on vacation....

congratulations man,you made it!
      12-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #16
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant

Drives: sideways always

Quote:
Damn, that does sound pretty good. Wish it was me!

(actually)

Just wondering. What do you do for a living? (PM if you like)
      12-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #17
kstylez
Private First Class

Drives: E90 335i, Skyline, Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarhold
Quote:
Twisted fuk... Talking so much bs enjoy ur time in the paradise and not comment during your precious time. If you really are who you say you are, and the people who drive cars which you claim to drive, don't waste their time bashing on people's interest on forums. No one gives a rat's ass about where you are or what you drive. To each their own who really gives a shit??
kstylez is offline   Canada
      12-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
awarhold
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstylez View Post
Twisted fuk... Talking so much bs enjoy ur time in the paradise and not comment during your precious time. If you really are who you say you are, and the people who drive cars which you claim to drive, don't waste their time bashing on people's interest on forums. No one gives a rat's ass about where you are or what you drive. To each their own who really gives a shit??
I am who I say I am. What is the point in lying? Here is proof of where I am staying right now. Google the place... My point is to enjoy each day like it is your last, so for me that would mean driving my favourite car as much as I can.
Attached Images

12-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
kstylez
Private First Class

Is
      12-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
kstylez
Private First Class

As I mentioned, I don't give a rat's ass about where you are and what you drive. The point here is bmw is certainly not an exotic but it is sport/luxury and for some people, it maybe just special enough to put away in storage. OP's post was exactly that. And your post is like telling me I should drive my show car on a daily basis so I can be like you living the life to the fullest?? Everyones allowed to express their own opinions and you don't set standards. Also your statement is not making any sense for others. Enjoy your time in the paradise and like I said "to each their own"
Attached Images

12-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
gazzetta
Second Lieutenant

I'm 23, I worked hard for this vert, my last car was an 04 TDI, so I've been fairly excited about this car . I wouldn't want to see the streets of Toronto ruin the underbody and paint with that nasty salt. No doubt these BMWs can make it through the snow, but I had a few extra bucks and I felt an awd forester for $1000 would suffice. I didn't mean to get everyone freaking out especially by that pretentious high status prissy boy. Anyways, I was just looking for some tips on storage procedures; this is a community right?
Attached Images

12-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
gazzetta
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzetta
I'm 23, I worked hard for this vert, my last car was an 04 TDI, so I've been fairly excited about this car . I wouldn't want to see the streets of Toronto ruin the underbody and paint with that nasty salt. No doubt these BMWs can make it through the snow, but I had a few extra bucks and I felt an awd forester for $1000 would suffice. I didn't mean to get everyone freaking out especially by that pretentious high status prissy boy. Anyways, I was just looking for some tips on storage procedures; this is a community right?
Another
Attached Images